Maserati Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Beautiful car. It's right next door to where I work in Arlington. I haven't seen it but, if you pick it up, maybe we'll run into each other. If you'd like a second opinion, I could stop by with you and look it over.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful car. It's right next door to where I work in Arlington. I haven't seen it but, if you pick it up, maybe we'll run into each other. If you'd like a second opinion, I could stop by with you and look it over.
Thanks for the offer Vincenzo but I'll likely not see the car until it arrives whihc is kind of scary. I live down in Austin, TX and have never bought an out of state car. Originally I thought about flying up there and driving it back but I don't want to put ~1600 miles on the car the first weekend. It looks like it was kept up and the dealer where it was serviced gave me what history they had:

10/05: flat tire repaired
3/06: fuel rail, seat switch covers
11/07: tires replaced, ecu replaced, window motor, ignition, fluids changed

They never did any service on the cc or clutch but with ~32k they assumed the owner had the work done by an indy shop. With that assumption I was going to buy sight unseen and have them ship it down to me. Am I being an idiot?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Well, not having any history of the clutch, it does seem unlikely that the clutch wouldn't have already been replaced with 32K on the odo. Thing is, unless the car was driven principally long distances, it might just be about ready for another in a few thousand miles. In any case, the car does look like it's been well kept. You'd be good to bring it into the local Maserati dealer when it arrives just to be sure.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would ask Vincenzo to have a look at it for piece of mind.
Another member here went and looked at an 06 GS I am interested in up in California for me. Took 43 pictures, and went through and checked every item on a list I gave him on things to look for.
Never even met the guy! It was an extremely generous gesture to say the least.
I really like this forum! :)

Thanks again buddy! ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, not having any history of the clutch, it does seem unlikely that the clutch wouldn't have already been replaced with 32K on the odo. Thing is, unless the car was driven principally long distances, it might just be about ready for another in a few thousand miles. In any case, the car does look like it's been well kept. You'd be good to bring it into the local Maserati dealer when it arrives just to be sure.
I disagree. I have seen and heard of many instances of clutches lasting 30K+. It would not surprise me at all if the original clutch was still in place. Maybe that's why the car is available, maybe the previous owner bailed on the car instead of paying that bill?

If you have no record of a change, it would be prudent to have a dealer hook it up for a reading before the purchase or budget for a new one in the negotiating price because you are rolling the dice.

For what it's worth, my brother's 2002 coupe is on the original clutch with 32K-33K on the clock, IIRC. My 2004 clutch is going strong at 27K. When I had the dealer take the reading it seemed to indicate I should make it to 30K.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am just over 37k on original clutch. I had the Trans Computer read at the dealer and I have used 81%; typically requires replacement at 90-95%; the car then stays in N and must be towed....

4700 is the cost for clutch and flywheel + labor.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If its the car i'm thinking of very clean car except rims have been refinished a couple of times.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I am just over 37k on original clutch. I had the Trans Computer read at the dealer and I have used 81%; typically requires replacement at 90-95%; the car then stays in N and must be towed....

4700 is the cost for clutch and flywheel + labor.
Wow - that's the longest I've ever heard a clutch lasting. What's your secret?

·
Registered
624 Posts
IJ,

The car looks fantastic, real show stopper. I have the same inter as you and think it absolutely makes the vehicle completely luxurious inside. I would concur with the other members on the clutch tho just to reassure yourself. I bought the car you see in Nov '08 with 28K miles on it from a very reputable dealer in my area. It was a one owner car bought and traded up for at my dealer BUT the car was making a very slight squealing noise out of low gears at the time of purchase and tho they said it still had roughly 50% life the noise increased rapidly after purchase and I asked them to replace the clutch which they did without hesitation and threw in a comlete detail for good measure, (all to their credit).

Maybe the previous owner knew something was up maybe he didn't but this is the time to check/raise a flag and save yourself $5K. I'm sure glad I did.

Best of luck and congrats again, you're in for the ride of your life!

S-

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, It is mine and I have changed my mind and you can't have it! Actually mine is almost identical except for the exterior color. What a great car! You will love it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.