Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great forum. Glad I found it before I purchase. Today I spoke to a saleman at a dealership in New England. During my q&a about a 2004 (with f1) 28k miles he said that all Maserati's will puff a small amount of blue smoke at start up if the car sits for a few days. Is that true. And is 40k in line for a 2004? The car in question is not the dealers but someone that get's the service work done there. I gave him the vin and he knew both the owner and car. ( Nice things to say about both) But when I heard about blue smoke I knew it was time to bring in the real pro's, The people that own them. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 2005 will "smoke" at start up after not being driven for a few days.
It has 12K miles and has done this since new.
I recently changed the oil with Mobil 1 0w-40.
And surprisingly it did not smoke on start up after a few days.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I get the puff of smoke when i move the car (when it's cold), park it right away without it warming up, and then starting the engine shortly thereafter. There was an old thread around here where a bunch of people seemed to notice the same thing, as i recall due to the different thermal expansion rates of the pistons and block, and the oil lining the cylinder walls. Perfectly normal, as long as it stops right away.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I get the puff of smoke when i move the car (when it's cold), park it right away without it warming up, and then starting the engine shortly thereafter. There was an old thread around here where a bunch of people seemed to notice the same thing, as i recall due to the different thermal expansion rates of the pistons and block, and the oil lining the cylinder walls. Perfectly normal, as long as it stops right away.
ditto, same here

·
Registered
722 Posts
Same here, occasional small blue cloud on startup, been that way since new.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mine only smoked once, after a long drive it sat for a few hours and when I restarted it, it smoked.

Eric

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine too. Ridiculous blue cloud. Could hide an army in it. Fortunately only happens rarely. Hear it's one of the James Bond options on an Aston...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
All Maserati/Ferrari's and any other engine

with forged pistons will smoke a bit on startup. Forged pistons expand more than cast ones so the tolerances are a little loser in the engine, 5 thousands instead of 3 to 4 in regard to cylinder wall clearance, so expect a little bit of smoke until the pistons expand once the temperature in the engine comes up.

There is the alternative..... Having a cast Piston explode in the cylinder wall at high rpm, anything above 5500 or more, which just doesn't seem like an option...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Love this place. Started it up today to move it out side for the insurance guy to take some pics. Big cloud of smoke at start up. Kind of freaked me out a bit. I had Mecedes flash backs. Started it to move back and more smoke but not as much. Read threads. Rest east.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ditto. Done a few times since new. Dealer claims pretty normal so I haven't bothered on the couple of occasions it's happened. Sure made a mess of the garage though :D

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Only once since owned - about a week after sitting in the garage following two days of track driving.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Never here - even after a week. At least I'll know that if it ever happens I'm not alone.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The blue smoke at start up is because of the oil that is left in the cylinders when the engine is turned off.

Dry sump engines all do that. No worries.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The blue smoke at start up is because of the oil that is left in the cylinders when the engine is turned off.

Dry sump engines all do that. No worries.

Ali.. VERY true. So does my dry sump Harley chopper.
But I've noticed my car only smokes after sex...... Hmmmm...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts