Maserati Forum banner

Do yous guys think first gear is useless????

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  MDVoz 
#1 ·
Hello gentlemen,

Obviously my above statement has a couple of factors. Since I do not have my DBW yet, I always start out slow, let the clutch grab and then it’s “throttle on”.....but in all honesty, when I drive my car a lot of the times in first gear the tires spin, the traction control goes on and I have to lift off the throttle making any spirited acceleration or fun almost non-existent. Have a lot of yous guys find that it’s very easy to spin your wheels every time, regardless of weather and pavement conditions or is it because my engine at least “mechanically” with 52,xxx miles is VERY healthy and taken care of?

Kist curious if other owners drive as spirited in first and if the resolution is to simply turn off the traction control or should I just not accelerate as hard LOL 🙄?

Kindly,
Stephen

#2 ·
Hello gentlemen,

Obviously my above statement has a couple of factors. Since I do not have my DBW yet, I always start out slow, let the clutch grab and then it’s “throttle on”.....but in all honesty, when I drive my car a lot of the times in first gear the tires spin, the traction control goes on and I have to lift off the throttle making any spirited acceleration or fun almost non-existent. Have a lot of yous guys find that it’s very easy to spin your wheels every time, regardless of weather and pavement conditions or is it because my engine at least “mechanically” with 52,xxx miles is VERY healthy and taken care of?

Kist curious if other owners drive as spirited in first and if the resolution is to simply turn off the traction control or should I just not accelerate as hard LOL 🙄?

Kindly,
Stephen
1. First gear is critical.
2. It is easy to overdo it with the throttle and the traction control takes over.
3. If you do it right with the throttle, then rapid clutch engagement without ruinous traction control response is possible, and the highly engaging ~4.9 second 0-60 response is readily available. In my case this is probably a little slower because I use lower grip Sumitomo HTR Z3 tires.
4. I do not have DBW and 1-3 are true for me.

On 3, in my experience, try to touch the gas even before you are ready to go and find just how much you can press the gas before it starts to move. As you start to press the gas the car will move. On the throttle down stroke, the rate of the foot action increases. With a little attention you can ease into the throttle faster and faster as you repeat the launch sequence and you work your way down to the ~4.9 seconds.

#4 ·
I have the DBWEM. I also have well dialed in PIS and also 305/30-19 in the back. Yeah, I like first a lot 😈

#5 ·
Hello gentlemen,

Kindly,
Stephen
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

#15 ·
Can you break the rears loose at 50 mph on dry pavement at will?
If not, you need more horsepower.
If so, you need better tires.
Seriously though, my comment about 3p cars is that the clutch engagement and throttle position are independent of each other. (duh). You control when the clutch is fully engaged and then how much throttle you give it. IMO much more control over the back end.
Back to the orig question, I would like all the gears to be a little taller, with 5th around .89:1, and 6th .75:1. I think that Ferrari used the same ratios for the 4200s as the more highly strung 360, and the torque of the F136R needs more gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.