Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember the V12 in the Quattroporte was a strong rumor maybe 3 or 4 years ago. I vaguely remember there even being a test car around. I believe it was a slightly detuned version of the V12 from the 550/575/612 models. Do you think this rumor is still on life support or is it dead for good. Since Ferrari doesn't sell a 4 door I can't see them having any argument to hold them back for a very small run at some point. Making the financial case for such a car in today's market might be tough, but real world aside, that would be a special car. Curious how much weight distribution would be affected too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I bet it is pretty unlikely. If Aston had done a V12 Rapide sooner (or Jaguar had a V12) maybe it would have happened. Now with looming emissions (some CO2g/km or something) regulations I bet it is unlikely. Besides Maserati is always touting their weight distribution so they probably don't want to contradict themselves.

Someone (maybe they were on here) was claiming to have an early ex-Jean Todt QP. If there is one out there, maybe we'll see it one day.

·
Registered
793 Posts
With today's fuel prices I would bet most manufacturers don't even want to visit 8 cylinder engines much more.

So I would not stay up nites waiting for that 12 cylinder announcement from Maserati!

·
Registered
722 Posts
That reminds me, gotta go visit the new Tesla dealership nearby.

V12's are cool, but maybe an era drawing to a close, sometime next decade.

·
Registered
793 Posts
That reminds me, gotta go visit the new Tesla dealership nearby.

I don't think you'd want that either

6,000+ cell phone batteris, 3-5 year life span, $25,000.00 replacement cost.

Not what I would call an "economy" car.

And the above figures came directly from a Tesla executive!

$110K is a whole lot of cash to pay for a Lutus Elise!

I think they are "charging" too much for that vehicle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
its in the works buddy just hold on........ a lil bit longer my buddy took avisit to the factory were he took an exclusive tour with a engineer that helps out the U.S techs. were they walk into a special room the engineer pops open the hood and voala V12 in Maserati QP : )

·
Registered
695 Posts
Don't think we will see a V-12 anytime soon. Especially with fuel economy and emissions on the front page. And not to mention that Maserati is currently aligned with Alfa Romeo.

Besides, which V-12 would the QP get? The 456/550/575/612 derivative that requires belt changes or the chain driven Enzo/599? Stick a 599 motor in the QP and that is gonna blow the 80K to 130K (euro) Maserati SPA stated price point. And the 612 motor doesn't fit in the "low maintenance" Maserati mantra either.

I don't see it happening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.