Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is for those of us who live in the snow belt. So, no need for you southern California drivers to respond since you moved to or were born and continue to reside in a snowless area. I store my car during the winter months to keep it clean and in good condition. I can't imagine letting the salt and sand eat away at ths finish. The cabin has some of the softest and finest leather available and the winter months in New England would destroy the seats. So, I drive my 2004 BMW 325i and let the Maser rest. As you can read, four wheel drive is not even the issue. I obviously don't put on the Maser a lot of miles anyway and plan on keeping it for a long time.

2004 Cambio Coupe - 9400 miles (bought new)
2004 325i BMW
2004 530i BMW

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
No, and it's been out in the snow (by accident) and in the winter salt.

I drive it all year round, but obviously try to avoid driving in nasty conditions and salty/sandy/cindery roads.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just did this post on Rennlist re my 911. I am in the market for a Coupe and will drive it the same way I drive my 911 - all the time. The winter is some of the best driving time here in the Northeast. I do not take it out in the snow and slush, not b/c it's not good for the car, but b/c that's what I have my Quattro for, just doesn't make sense to bring a GT or 911 out in the snow. But as for driving the Maserati on sunny, dry, very cold winter days, absolutely !! Why not enjoy the car as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I just did this post on Rennlist re my 911. I am in the market for a Coupe and will drive it the same way I drive my 911 - all the time. The winter is some of the best driving time here in the Northeast. I do not take it out in the snow and slush, not b/c it's not good for the car, but b/c that's what I have my Quattro for, just doesn't make sense to bring a GT or 911 out in the snow. But as for driving the Maserati on sunny, dry, very cold winter days, absolutely !! Why not enjoy the car as much as possible.
Well said. My IS 250 AWD is for bad weather + bike and snowboard hauling + long uninteresting trips.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Sorry guys

My Maserati sits out the snow months and the snowy roads.. I have a 4 runner made just for that reason and on the weekends at the cabin where it get's 50 below it just not the right place for my good car. Up on blocks and fluid changes ready for spring...
I do start it every week or so and let it warm up to running temp.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My Maserati sits out the snow months and the snowy roads.. I have a 4 runner made just for that reason and on the weekends at the cabin where it get's 50 below it just not the right place for my good car. Up on blocks and fluid changes ready for spring...
I do start it every week or so and let it warm up to running temp.
:D Which is why I may be interested in your car !! PM me again if you decided to sell with pics and details/specs etc.

If not, oh well

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Not for sale...

Is part of my permanent collection... I am now pestering FOD about the new Dino which I want to add next..

·
Registered
518 Posts
She and her siblings will see little use in the winter months once the snow starts to accumulate they all go away for winter...I drive my X5 or my pickup when it is crappy out.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
My feeling is that it is generally a bad thing to "store" a car for the winter. I think the vehicle needs to be run for a few miles at least every 2-3 days to keep it "limber". I know that might sound insane, but I genuinely think that keeping moving parts moving, lubricated parts lubed, seals sealing, and so on, has a very positive effect on vehicle reliability and life.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I start them once a month in the winter and allow them to run for at least an hour so they can get up to operating temp and evaporate all of the moisture buildup in the engine just starting them for a few minutes is far worse for the car then letting them sit.

Here is a good procedure to follow if you are planning on letting your baby sit for more then a month or two without starting it up
This is brought over from Ferrarilife
1-Change the oils (engine and gearbox)
2-Check/Change coolant as required
3-Fill fuel tank and add fuel stabilizer (such as Stabil)
4-Run the car to make sure the treated fuel is in the fuel system
5-While the engine is running, spray fogging oil (available at most parts stores in your area) into the air intake until a good white cloud of smoke pours from the exhaust (this makes sure all internal components are lightly coated with a film of the oil).
6-Remove the spark plugs and spray some fogging oil in each cylinder
7-Turn the engine over to blow out the excess oil and reinstall the plugs.
8-Spray a light coat of fogging oil on the engine surfaces.
9-Remove the battery and store it in the basement.

with the addition of the fogging oil you could let a car sit for a few years and it should be just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts