Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lost count on the times of Mid-20s male has stopped me and asked, "howfast does the car go, what is the highest number on the spedometer?".....Now, I can understand when a little 10 yo kid asks me, ...

I hate to blow their bubble and tell them a Honda Accord will go 150 if you have the balls to drive it that fast.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I get that one all the time....

And a few others....

Like who makes Maserati?
Is that a Mazda?
Is it fast?
How much did that cost?

My favorite was a BMW M3 guy with his girlfriend, told his girlfriend that Maserati's are cool but they are a poor man's Ferrari... I smiled and said yep, that's true and it cost 40k more than your car and it's a hell of a lot better ride!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I guess my neighbours are just asses.

They ask questions like "how much is an oil change?", "how come you have to charge the battery every couple of weeks?", "how often do you have to replace the tires and clutch?"

:)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My favorite was a BMW M3 guy with his girlfriend, told his girlfriend that Maserati's are cool but they are a poor man's Ferrari... I smiled and said yep, that's true and it cost 40k more than your car and it's a hell of a lot better ride!
good one!!

i get those 'how much is it' and 'is it quick' questions all the time.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I get a lot of blank stares. Honestly, I had some early 20's girl stop in traffic and stare with her mouth open. I also read peoples lips in the rear view mirror.... "M A S E R A T I MASERATI!" LOL! I love it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I get a lot of blank stares. Honestly, I had some early 20's girl stop in traffic and stare with her mouth open. I also read peoples lips in the rear view mirror.... "M A S E R A T I MASERATI!" LOL! I love it.
I love it when i look behind me and see people saying the same thing. Honestly, most people don't know what the car is around here. Some do, and will ask "does it have a v-6 in it?" A lot will ask "How much did that cost?!" after talking to them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
And a few others....

Like who makes Maserati?
Is that a Mazda?
Is it fast?
How much did that cost?

My friend had a guy at the gas station ask is that a new model Toyota some years back.

As for the poor man's ferrari remark, while you may get the occasional sour grapes fella passing that remark, Im sure the thought does pass thru quite a lot of peoples head now and again. that's the thing with perception. Though that perception is less I think for the GranTurismo owners.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My favorite one was when I was pulled over by a state trooper.

He approached the car and leaned over with a grin on his face and said, "man, I sure bet thats a fast car! How fase have you got it up to" I replied, "I don't think I should answer that question."

Evidently it wasn't fast enough, haha. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
At least you guys live in the U.S. and Europe. Very people (except for the top 5% rich folk) know what a Maserati is in Korea. There are less than 10 GranTurismos in Korea and the majority of them are sitting in a garage 95% of the time. It's quite funny how many people stare at the car.. especially the low front grill to check out what kind of car it is because it looks expensive. They see a big trident!
Also, living in Korea, the cell phone capital of the world (90% mobile penetration rates way back years ago), EVERYONE takes pictures of everything. I can't count the number of times I've been cell pic'ed. I even saw a 70 year old grandpa taking a pic yesterday. Hilarious.
My coworker found this thread on a popular car site in Korea. Somebody took a pic of me and uploaded it.

http://www.bobaedream.co.kr/board/d...arch_gubun=&s_pagescale=&search_day=&Answer=8

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I have lost count on the times of Mid-20s male has stopped me and asked, "howfast does the car go, what is the highest number on the spedometer?".....Now, I can understand when a little 10 yo kid asks me, ...

I hate to blow their bubble and tell them a Honda Accord will go 150 if you have the balls to drive it that fast.
To cut out the unnecessary dialog, I obtained the (cliche, but fun) vanity plate for my Coupe, "DOES 185", also as my Joe Walsh homage...

·
Registered
63 Posts
After reading your posts i put a smile on my face LOL

It happens to me also.

Most of the questions i get here:

- How much was that??
- It passes the 300 kmh/h barrier right?
- It consumes about 20 liter per 100 km normal driving right?
- I bet the maintenance is crazy...

I dont get why most of people tend to know this type of things instead of really knowing what the car feels like, the design, the interior, the sound bla bla bla...

Perhaps they dont pay even attention to the fact that is a Maserati, but only seing it as an expensive and " exotiC" vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I think you are right Hugo, the questions often tend to be rather off beat. The speed one is something that really does my head in, as if someone will ever hit the top speed in one of these cars :rolleyes:

Actually, that's given me an idea for a new thread! :D

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I think you are right Hugo, the questions often tend to be rather off beat. The speed one is something that really does my head in, as if someone will ever hit the top speed in one of these cars :rolleyes:

Actually, that's given me an idea for a new thread! :D
I've been pretty darn close... ;-)

·
Registered
63 Posts
You are right,

Since i had a bad accident in 2001 with an honda S2000 i have changed alot my "speed" desires :)

Usually i tend to loose that stress and take advantage of the trackdays that are organized here in Estoril Circuit, in which i use an honda integra type R.

In my case, it makes me go slower on public roads, due to the fact that the security measures that are present at an event like a track day are impossible on daily driving condition. Not saying i dont press the pedal on the road, but it´s very different now ehhe :)

I tend to accelerate more on highways , and the only good time to achieve prohibitive speeds is at night, but once the street racing here in portugal is very active, there´s always lots of radars and cops at that time!

Cheers

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.