Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually drive in normal mode with the paddles and can shift very smooth and accelerate very quickly. I have been trying to do the same in sports mode but I have noticed the shifts have seemed rougher and more abrupt?

Am I the only one? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks. CM

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Sport mode shifts rough and fast - like my women! :wink:

Seriously, that's exactly how it is supposed to work. I have an M5 coming in the spring, and have been told that in its "full on" M-mode the shifts are best described as "violent". So we have it easy.

I love the way the Sport mode shifts and hate the way the standard mode lurches.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I love the way the Sport mode shifts and hate the way the standard mode lurches.
I'm with you Rick, I feel the shifts on normal mode too slugish...
I drive on sport mode 100% of the time and if my car had the manual transmission I would drive it the same way or even rougher :wink:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the skyhook and a Tubi...

I have a tubi which I LOVE..... Why would that make any difference in the way the car shifts in sports mode?

According to everyone in sports mode its normal for the shifts to be loud and hard.... That does not hurt the engine at all?

Good to know.

What else does sports mode do to the cars handling?

Thanks CM

·
Registered
909 Posts
There are two different main buttons for sport mode. Sport\Power and MSP off.

If you have skyhook installed, you will have sport, however with no Skyhook you have power. They both change the traction control and CC gearbox; Giving both more aggressive settings. If you have skyhook, sport mode also changes the pre-set load level for the dampers. For the transmission, the shifts are made faster, and with less clutch engagement duration. This makes the shifts more abrubt, however with faster clutch engagement, this should increase the life of the clutch overall. This mode also changes the shift settings in the automatic mode, making shift points later, and holding gears longer.

The Power button for those of you without Skyhook does the same thing, just minus the Skyhook integration.

MSP off completely disables the traction control (and I had heard it also disables the rev-limiter - and I was also told if you blow up your motor in this mode its not covered under warranty - thank you OBD-II)

- Mark

·
Registered
246 Posts
Whoa!!!!

So, disengaging MSP also disengages the rev limiter????
This is REALLY important to know, and to confirm. I have found myself hitting the rev limiter in Sport mode several times (in non-Sport mode, the gears shift automatically, even when not in Auto mode, as you hit high rpm's. In Sport mode, the gears don't shift but the revs limit, which is kind of a wierd sensation, but a nice engine saving feature!).
I have taken my car to the track and on the most recent visit I ran with MSP off to give better acceleration out of turns while I was still drifting a bit. If rev limiting is off when MSP is off, I will need to be extra careful!
So, I think it is important to confirm this.
Thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
909 Posts
I am working on the actual confirmation of the MSP off\ rev limiter. We were told that there would be no intervention, however we are unsure if we interpreted this wrong. It may be that regardless of what you are doing the transmission will not change gears on its own, but that the hard rev limiter is still in place.

However; it has come to my attention that the sport mode takes lower priority to auto mode, therefore if both the auto and sport modes are selected, the transmission will be in standard automatic mode, with the suspension in sport mode.

I am still researching the rev limiter \ MSP off integration, and will post when I find this out.

- Mark

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've hit the rev limiter with MSP off...and it seems to start to kick in at around 7300 or 7400, not at redline...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drove on Alpine roads (closed for traffic) yesterday with my Coupe CC 03 with MSP off and hit rev limiter several times (1. 2.nd gear). It kicks in at 7300 but not agressively, rather like pressing brake pedal. If not shifted up then it cuts revs agressivelly at 7500 rpm.

PS: I first posted a month or two ago asking about skyhook. So I bought 03 Coupe CC (nero carbonio with cuoio leather) with no skyhook and this car gives me unbelieavable driving pleasure.

Have fun,

J. Lunar

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks for the confimation that the rev limiter remains active with MSP off. Not that having a computer limit revs is a testament to good driving skill, but it is nice to know that safety net remains in place.
Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts