Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting Close to replacing rotors (probably FD), no tracking just touring but are SS brake lines worth considering?

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I don't think they make a difference at all in pedal feel..I have installed a ton them...J

Reactions: Cynabar

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
604 Posts
Not on the street, and barely on the track. I did have them on my racebikes but those bikes see a lot of hard usage on the track with hard repeated braking from triple digit speeds over and over and over for 30 minutes straight so they would have to withstand the abuse and provide consistent feel and performance.

Other than that, for regular street use and light track use, they make no real difference that you can exploit.

They do make it harder for your wife's lover to cut though and cause an accident which gives her your $5M life insurance policy payout.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,798 Posts
So longevity is not a benefit with ss brake lines ? Or, Maserati regular lines are not really prone to premature failure, so it’s not an issue ?

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
604 Posts
So longevity is not a benefit with ss brake lines ? Or, Maserati regular lines are not really prone to premature failure, so it’s not an issue ?
I've driven many cars, and quite a few on the track, and kept a few cars for a long time and brake line failure has never been an issue... as in I have never had to replace a brake line on any of my cars, including my 100,000 mile Miata which had seen some semi-hard usage. As for Maserati, of all the failures on the GT line, brake line failure has not been an issue that's been experienced by owners here.

·
Super Moderator
4,584 Posts
Thought so,..Just saved me 400 bucks. Thank you.
Much cheaper over here! I fitted them to my Coupe because the old lines were going, and they felt much better. But the old lines were failing.....

C

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,798 Posts
I've driven many cars, and quite a few on the track, and kept a few cars for a long time and brake line failure has never been an issue... as in I have never had to replace a brake line on any of my cars, including my 100,000 mile Miata which had seen some semi-hard usage. As for Maserati, of all the failures on the GT line, brake line failure has not been an issue that's been experienced by owners here.
Many Porsche forum members switched to all steel for both brake lines and clutch hoses since there was a sufficient number of them failing at 30-40 K miles to make a lot of people paranoid and go on a buying spree for the ss versions . That included my car ( only the clutch line failed around 45 K miles, but the brake ones have been fine and still are at 115 K miles.. and I tracked that car quite a bit also ). The spot where they failed was very consistent among all the ones reported ; right at the junctions of metal and rubber. The rubber eventually developed tears / slits at those points.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thought so,..Just saved me 400 bucks. Thank you.
Definitely not worth it for $400 but if they’re old and you DIY it can be done for no more than $150.
I changed them on my GS due to age and didn’t notice any improvement - no track use though

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,798 Posts
They make your wallet lighter
And thus, the weight savings make the car quicker ..so there IS a performance benefit !🙃

FWIW, although I didn’t change my brake lines , when I switched to a stainless steel clutch line everyone and their mother swore that I will feel a major difference in the clutch pedal .
B.S. , there was absolutely no difference whatsoever !!

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
215 Posts
Definitely not worth it for $400 but if they’re old and you DIY it can be done for no more than $150.
I changed them on my GS due to age and didn’t notice any improvement - no track use though
The net gain in speed and performance would be equivalent to putting a vinyl TURBO sticker on your car and just 'feeling' it go faster!

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
604 Posts
The net gain in speed and performance would be equivalent to putting a vinyl TURBO sticker on your car and just 'feeling' it go faster!
No no... a turbo on an Italian V8? It has to be naturally aspirated.

Go with the TRD or Mopar sticker instead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have installed them on my Gran Cabrio Sport and it was a very marginal improvement. Unlike with other cars where they did make a real difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts