Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I recently had my windshield replaced because of some line of sight scratches. The new windshield is fine, but looking closely I found some minor scratches on the moulding caused by the installers as well as a minor dark mark on the silver console. In addition, over the past months I have accumulated a tiny ding on the right front wheel well.. and a few scratches on the wheels. Nothing major, but how obsessive are you about these kinds of things? Or, is it me>? -Bob.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's a sad fact that people in parking lots just don't care about dinging you. I stood on the street and watched (and yelled) as a woman in a clapped out BMW 325 "braille parked" her car in the slot in front of mine.

Even after I pointed out to her that she'd hit my car while parking her expression said "so what".

Add that to the normal damage from stones and other road debris aqnd it just doesn't pay to obsess over minor dings. I'll throw a little rubbing compound at em when I wash and wax her bot other than that there's n otmuch you can do.

·
Registered
312 Posts
As much as I may love my QP - its just a car. I'd rather have it perfect always but that isn't possible and wanting it that way, or trying to keep it that way, would make this beautiful machine a source of stress. I park it carefully and keep it very well maintained and all shined up, but accepting a little road reality allows it to be more a source of pleasure longer.

A little bit of lived in look is fine with me. Nor do I worry about running up the miles; they can only do their magic when driven. When I see someone with a great car that is maintained fanatically (as opposed to maintained very well and lovingly maintained) I suspect a twitchy owner worried just a bit too much about how the car/owner package looks to the outside world. Is this fair?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I am with most of you as to not obsess over minor scatches, however, because I do much more than typical to avoid these isssue (ie, parking in front parraell spaces, corner spaces towards the rear in parking lots) i do get majorlly pissed when I do get a scratch or ding.

·
Registered
240 Posts
my first car I was like this. My black nissan Maxima lol

I dont care really. it happens. I try my best to make it look its best but I drive hard and drive it where it needs to go. Shit happens.

50k on a car and I live in the middle of the city things are going to happen. Maybe if it was a collection auto like a MERC gullwing or something then yes! but an everyday driver...nah.....

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's a sad fact that people in parking lots just don't care about dinging you. I stood on the street and watched (and yelled) as a woman in a clapped out BMW 325 "braille parked" her car in the slot in front of mine.

Even after I pointed out to her that she'd hit my car while parking her expression said "so what".
that would piss me off. I have a bad temper sometimes. I would loved to pick up a shopping cart and throw at her car. Yes press it up and toss right on the hood.

maybe a golf club...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am amazed at the way some people treat my truck when i am sitting in it and watch these people not care about anything but themselves until they notice u watching them. thank god it is just a work truck.

i tend to not worry about the looks of my cars to much unless they are in really good condition when i get them as soon as the looks go. i could care less it is the performance that i care about. but on something as nice as a maserati i would do more to keep it shinny.

on the ding try paintless dent removal they can do wonders.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I worry about them, but don't let them bother me. I also enjoy the car and a little "road reality" is just a fact of life. Sure it bothers me, but I don't let it get to me - too much.

It is really fascinating how little people care. In the garage of my appartement building in Miami Beach I saw a guy in a Jag back out of his spot and hitting the car parked behind him across the ramp. He didn't just tap it, he hit it so both cars rocked. He was just about to casually put his jag from R to D and drive off. No, no, no. I jumped out of my car and made him put a note with his information, which I compared to his DL on the car he hit, saying that he would pay for the damage, including insurance deductible and for the owner of the car to please contact him. I mean - that is the least one can expect, right. Maybe I was raised differently, but a little consideration for other people is not too much to ask. It really doesn't matter if it is a nice car, or a spectacular car, or even a "regular" car, it is someone's car!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Because my personality is a bit obsessive, Im going to try and replace some parts at my next one year service. Purely for cosmetic reasons, and not functionality I am going to ask the dealer to replace the two side window weather strips, (due to scrapes and looking dull); the moulding liner of the front windshield (due to some scratches); the Maserati emblem badge at front of the hood (due to something on the side I cannot remove); and the top of the window washer bottle inside the car (due to it being messed up). I will pay for them since Im sure the dealer will not under warranty, but I may buy the car at the end of the lease term in 3 years and I would like it perfect. Am I crazy? -Bob.

·
Registered
530 Posts
if this is a car you're leasing and "may" buy at the end of the lease, yep.

let the minor stuff accumulate and then if you decide to buy it get it fixed otherwise IMO you're just throwing money away.

Still - whatever floats your boat!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hi all! Been out of town a lot lately!

I was at a friends house for Labor Day. I polished up the pristine (i.e. NO dings yet) Maser to show off and drove myself, wife and the squid to the party. Noticing the steep driveway, I slowly manuvered my way up without incident. When it was time to leave, I slowly backed out but the dynamics of the car are very different when driving backwards. That is, although I was VERY careful, I scraped the s*it out of the underside rear of the car on that damn driveway. Even though you can't see it unless you lay under the car, I felt sick. I filled in all the white scratches with a black sharpie but the road rash is there.

So, yes. It bothers me :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts