Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my car power polished. The paint looks great for the most part (swirl marks removed) but the tech who did the work burned through the paint on the bumper. This required the bumper to be re-painted. He is very well regarded as a top notch detailer and paid for the fix but he noted that such a burn through was very unusual.

After getting it fixed, I washed the car a few times using clean microfibre cloths and a sheep’s wool mitt. Today, I noticed a pretty deep and long scratch in the hood that appears - based on its direction and geometry - to be caused by a dirt particle lodged in the washing mitt. I also noticed a lot of new fine swirls.

Compared to my other cars, my Maserati seems to have paint that scratches very easily. I have heard the paint is the same as a Ferrari but frankly I am not very impressed. I must admit that it does have a very deep glossy shine though.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have not had any issues with my paint. My Porsche on the other hand seemed to get chipped just by looking at it wrong.

Eric

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't like the paint myself. It looks very good but I have noticed as well that it chips and scratches very easily.

·
Registered
203 Posts
A veritable constellation...

I hate to get too close to my Nero Carbonio black paint just in front of the rear wheels. It's like staring into a moonless sky. I can't recall any such problems with other marques.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have black as well.

I have used drcolorchip to cover the "stars" in the moonless sky but it is a losing battle.

The worst part about polishing and waxing the car is that it makes the chips stand out even more!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
PPG Industries...

Ferrari and Maserati use PPG paints these days, have been for quite a while. It should be no different than your average chevy in regard to wear. There is a national geographic special on technology in the car factories and you can watch the entire process at Ferrari and Maserati, including the ceramic clear coat that goes on the Ferrari which makes it near scratch resistant.

·
Registered
793 Posts
---After getting it fixed, I washed the car a few times using clean microfibre cloths and a sheep’s wool mitt. Today, I noticed a pretty deep and long scratch in the hood that appears - based on its direction and geometry - to be caused by a dirt particle lodged in the washing mitt. I also noticed a lot of new fine swirls.
I would first suggest you always use a dual pail system when you wash your car.

One pail with soap; one pail as a rinse. Never put the soap unit back into the soap w/o first thoroughly cleaning it in the rinse pail. That will prevent the considerable issues you have mentioned.

Swirls are most noticeable on dark colors. You did not state your color, but I think maybe your clearcoat may be slightly compromised or damaged.

It's possible that what happened to your bumper may also have occurred to a minor degree to your paint. That does not sound good. A professional detailer should never have that issue!

Power buffers can do considerable damage especially when used with rubbing compounds!

Maybe you should find out what method that detailer used on your car.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would first suggest you always use a dual pail system when you wash your car.

One pail with soap; one pail as a rinse. Never put the soap unit back into the soap w/o first thoroughly cleaning it in the rinse pail. That will prevent the considerable issues you have mentioned.

Swirls are most noticeable on dark colors. You did not state your color, but I think maybe your clearcoat may be slightly compromised or damaged.

It's possible that what happened to your bumper may also have occurred to a minor degree to your paint. That does not sound good. A professional detailer should never have that issue!

Power buffers can do considerable damage especially when used with rubbing compounds!

Maybe you should find out what method that detailer used on your car.
Thanks for the advice. From now on I will use a more rigorours regimen as you suggest for cleaning.

I agree that the polishing damage should not have occurred but I really don't think the detailer did anything out of the ordinary though - standard medium cut compound followed by polishing. I actually noticed the sensitivity to pitting/ scratching before the detail work (I have the exact same "moonless sky" feature described by others ahead of my rear wheels and the front was also very pitted). Like the others, I have never seen anything like this on any other car that I have owned.

My car is black so that may explain some of the problems - it seems to show every slight flaw!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
---My car is black so that may explain some of the problems - it seems to show every slight flaw!!

My detailer's words: " Don't bring me another black car"!!!

It's hard for me to think that Maserati paint would differ from that of Ferrari since they are nearly one and the same in terms of processes.

How about directing your concerns to the firm who makes most of their paints?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just had my entire car polished and wet sanded....

After the body shop sprayed my rear bumper and rear quarter panels I had them wet sand my entire car.

As a detail nut, I must say, it glows, sparkles, blings etc. I never got it to shine that much with my orbital and many coats of Zaino.

Now I went over the car with a florescent light about an inch from the paint, (yes I know I am nuts) and noticed some light scratching from the detail job. Got my orbital and some swirl mark remover and finally flawless.

While I think detailers do excellent jobs, some times you have to go back and do certain areas over and over again until they look flawless. Again, I am talking in lighting about an inch away. From 3 feet my car looks like glass or water.

Ferraris and Maseratis are spot painted frequently. If it were not from my own eyes I would have never believed it. While I was getting my car fixed, there were TWO 08 F430s from the factory that had imperfections in the paint that needed to be fix. Mind you the cars were already sold. They still had the wrapping from Italy on them. The body shop owner says its because the cars are hand assembled and sometimes there are little nicks and marks during assembly.

I can not attest to Ferrari, but I noticed very slight paint imperfections on my car when I bought it in 2005. Small items in nooks and corners that you do not see on mass produced cars.

As far as soft paint, your issue could be with a thinning clear coat. After 4 years I had my car wet sanded, I will never do it again because I don't want to remove any more of the clear coat. If you are noticing your car scratching easy, and you can not buff it out with an orbital (which is non abbrasive) , then its your clear that is gone. Use excellent towels, avoid car washes, apply the best sealants instead of waxes.

Polishing and compounding your car can be abrasive especially if you are using a rotary and not an orbital. Black cars are certainly the most difficult to keep detailed, but you might not want to keep polishing the areas with thin clear.

Good luck.

CM

·
Registered
78 Posts
i had the same issues w/a porsche i had several years ago...it was black. i could never get it perfect. which is why i will never buy dark colored cars again. all silver, white and light gold.

these lighter colors also keep the car looking cleaner even when they're not.

·
Registered
793 Posts
---Polishing and compounding your car can be abrasive especially if you are using a rotary and not an orbital. Black cars are certainly the most difficult to keep detailed, but you might not want to keep polishing the areas with thin clear.
All great points, Cy.

I believe this is why Griots sells so many orbital polishers. One has to be very careful chosing a detailer. ak questions in advance.

I love black cars and know the risks, but they sure look beautiful. I think the right detailer car work magic.

I use Bob Willis of AutoConcierge in Pleasanton, CA. He is just incredible. A true pro in every way. He has worked wonders on my 360, and it's blue!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
when I bought my red GS last November, the paint was absolutely perfect minus one tiny chip on the hood. Now I have a few more and have recently purchased the DRPaintChip kit and the clear poly material from InvisibleMask. My plan is to perfectly repair the few chips I have, let them cure, polish the front-end with swirl filler/remover and Zaino to get the paint as glossy as possible. Then, I'm going to cap it all off with the clear protectant film.....with a complete coverage of the front end and hopefully never have to worry about it again....kind of like adding back the clear-coat.

·
Registered
793 Posts
--- I'm going to cap it all off with the clear protectant film.....with a complete coverage of the front end and hopefully never have to worry about it again....kind of like adding back the clear-coat.
Make sure you experiment with that film first.

I understand that it's a tough job to do it right.

It really takes one highly experienced with it to get it perfect.

I'd love to try that myself but feel that I will leave to an expert.

Clutch replacement, oil changes, brake caliper replacements, etc. I will do, but playing with something on the paint scares me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts