Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '13 GT in December of 2018. The previous owner had done the big 2 year service 6 weeks prior. My dash just started reminding me that its time for the service. However, I have only put 6k miles on it since I purchased it. What's everyones opinion? Do it now, wait till I put on 10k miles, do it next year, etc? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2013 Maserati GranTurismo Sport
386 Posts
Same here. I am going to wait until 10k. Don’t think it will hurt anything as there is always a safety factor (I hope).

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I bought my '13 GT in December of 2018. The previous owner had done the big 2 year service 6 weeks prior. My dash just started reminding me that its time for the service. However, I have only put 6k miles on it since I purchased it. What's everyones opinion? Do it now, wait till I put on 10k miles, do it next year, etc? Thanks.
If you were driving your car every day, you would still be under 50 miles per week throughout your ownership. At this rate, the 10k mark for you will be somewhere around the 1st of June 2022!
o_O
By then, your oil will have reverted back to 'zooplankton' so don't worry about changing it... :p:ROFLMAO:;)

Reactions: Spartan

·
Registered
662 Posts
The oil was already millions of years old when you put it in there...the two year service is an oil change and air filter, which is only a few hundred bucks total really. Pollen filter is what, 20 bucks? You could probably get away with not doing it base on time instead of mileage, since all of these items are things that degrade with usage, not with aging, if that makes sense. But really, if a few hundred bucks is cheap peace of mind if that's what it will give you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Every 2 years period - regardless of the miles driven.

Relatively cheap insurance.

You know how much it costs to repair these cars if something really goes wrong -

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Every 2 years period - regardless of the miles driven.

Relatively cheap insurance.

You know how much it costs to repair these cars if something really goes wrong -
UUUUHHHH NO! I rack up over 40k miles in 2 years...Not a good plan-lol

Reactions: Spartan

·
Registered
218 Posts
Stick to the manual, if the car reaches the miles or the time, do the corresponding maintenance and you will have a peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Oil change every 6,250 for me, thank you! (y)

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,035 Posts
The ONLY thing you need to change every two years, "regardless of miles driven" ( assuming the reference is made to very few miles being driven, of course.. ) is the brake fluid, which will build up moisture whether you drive the car or not.
Anything / everything else is pretty much mileage dependent. IMO

·
Registered
662 Posts
The ONLY thing you need to change every two years, "regardless of miles driven" ( assuming the reference is made to very few miles being driven, of course.. ) is the brake fluid, which will build up moisture whether you drive the car or not.
Anything / everything else is pretty much mileage dependent. IMO
I've only ever heard of Mercedes requiring that, Maserati service doesn't require it. It probably wouldn't hurt, but I don't think its necessary.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,035 Posts
Correct, not required or “strictly necessary” , but considering brakes are one of the two things ( the other one being tires ) that stand between the car and your life or limb, it’s just prudent to check the entire braking system , which includes having fresh fluid in there . Granted, unless you track the car or consistently drive at triple digit speeds or take it on aggressively spirited runs, and brake really hard, it’ll never get hot enough where the boiling point of a moisture-full brake fluid will cause your braking to be less responsible or fail, but that’s not a hypothesis you‘d want to test ..

As for everything else, I‘m not advocating anyone else does what I do, because as the old adage goes YMMV, but in my experience and a bunch of unbiased research, most of the manufacturer and dealer “ recommended “ service intervals for just about everything from oil changes , to belts, to filters , to other fluids, to basically every preventive maintenance intervals can be easily and safely extended to 2 X those intervals without concern. I’ve practiced this m.o. for numerous cars in about 45 years of driving . Never had a single engine or engine components or transmission & differential issue.
BUT.. that doesn’t mean your car won’t .. and since replacing stuff at the recommended schedule or even more frequently certainly can’t hurt, if it buys you peace of mind, that’s great - you can‘t put a price on that .,(y)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Correct, not required or “strictly necessary” , but considering brakes are one of the two things ( the other one being tires ) that stand between the car and your life or limb, it’s just prudent to check the entire braking system , which includes having fresh fluid in there . Granted, unless you track the car or consistently drive at triple digit speeds or take it on aggressively spirited runs, and brake really hard, it’ll never get hot enough where the boiling point of a moisture-full brake fluid will cause your braking to be less responsible or fail, but that’s not a hypothesis you‘d want to test ..

As for everything else, I‘m not advocating anyone else does what I do, because as the old adage goes YMMV, but in my experience and a bunch of unbiased research, most of the manufacturer and dealer “ recommended “ service intervals for just about everything from oil changes , to belts, to filters , to other fluids, to basically every preventive maintenance intervals can be easily and safely extended to 2 X those intervals without concern. I’ve practiced this m.o. for numerous cars in about 45 years of driving . Never had a single engine or engine components or transmission & differential issue.
BUT.. that doesn’t mean your car won’t .. and since replacing stuff at the recommended schedule or even more frequently certainly can’t hurt, if it buys you peace of mind, that’s great - you can‘t put a price on that .,(y)
I'd say I agree with all that. Maserati does call for a brake inspection as part of service, so I think its rational if someone wanted to extend that idea to a brake fluid flush. I also agree that dealer recommended service stuff is frequently inflated. When I used to take my Mercedes to the dealer for "Service A"...it was something like $359. Instead, I would go there, pay $134 for an oil change, swap the cabin air filter myself, and ask them to reset the Service A light. EXACT SAME THING :eek:

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Just maintain the parts you want to keep.

Reactions: Sock Tucker

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,035 Posts
The moment my cars ( all of them ) got out of warranty, I have never stepped foot inside a dealer service premises.. ( except for recall notices , but that‘s a different issue and those have been extremely rare )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The oil was already millions of years old when you put it in there...the two year service is an oil change and air filter, which is only a few hundred bucks total really. Pollen filter is what, 20 bucks? You could probably get away with not doing it base on time instead of mileage, since all of these items are things that degrade with usage, not with aging, if that makes sense. But really, if a few hundred bucks is cheap peace of mind if that's what it will give you.
I was under the impression that the 2 year service was north of $2000. Is this not the case?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I was under the impression that the 2 year service was north of $2000. Is this not the case?
oil change, filter change, belt inspection

Robin on here has a youtube channel that shows you in a very straightforward way how to do ALLLLL the basic maintenance. If you haven't subscribed to his channel, you should!

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,035 Posts
As a shop the only we would do to that car is change the oil, flush the brake fluid,check the battery and reset the indicator and call it a day... Jason
And this sums up what integrity/honesty is all about ! Couple that with what we already know is a wealth of mechanical knowledge, common sense and competence, and it doesn’t get any better.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts