Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to go to the dealer or can I get a third party mechanic to do the following:

(1) Have a third party buy a maserati coupe clutch for the cambiocorsa and install it

(2) Have a third party install an f1 pump

(3) Have a third party service and change the oil

Can I have a third party do these things or does it void the warranty or something???

Thanks,
Zearnold

·
Registered
742 Posts
You can do as you wish....

If you found an experienced ferrari or exotic car mechanic you can certainly buy the maserati clutch parts or F1 Pump from the dealer and have them install them without voiding the warranty.

I recommend dealing with Kevin on this board. I ordered some parts from him and everything was great. He is a nice person to deal with and I bet he can give you a better deal on all the OEM parts than the dealer will.

I always try to plan ahead and I contacted two exotic mechanics in New Jersey and asked them about doing a Maserati clutch. Both claimed to be able, and both quoted me $3,000. To be honest, for $3,500 I will take it to the dealer. The $500.00 is peace of mind.

Same thing with the F1 pump, however when mine eventually goes after the warranty expires I will pay the $2,000-3,000 to the dealer. Again, the F1 pump is very "Maserati"... I think the dealer should do that and clutches.

Regarding the other services and oil changes, 12.5K, 18K etc. You can save a lot of cash just by buying the oil filter and the oil and going to a good mechanic. If the dealer charges you $350.00, Parts for an oil change will cost you $100.00 and maybe $100 more for labor depending on your mechanic.

Same thing with the services, save the plugs... You can buy all the OEM filters and fluids and have them changed. To see what I am talking about check out the service threads. Standard dealer labor rates are $100.00- 125.00 an hour and it seems like all the services invlove 10 hours or so... I am not anti dealer for Maserati specific service. But $50.00 for wiper fluid or 10 hours to replace an air filter at 12,000 miles..... I think a good mechanic can accomplish the same thing.

Good luck. Try to post your sevice costs on that thread so we all know what the going rates are.

CM

·
Registered
681 Posts
Why wouldn't you go to a dealer? When it comes time to sell your car, where it was worked on will take resale into value. Sure Joe Schmo mechanic as good as he is at what he does may save you $1,000 on a clutch job, but when it comes time to sell the car having authorized receipts will save you the headache. I have alot of customers that ask us to service their car, I remind them that we may be slightly cheaper than the dealer and as reputable as we are to the Maserati community, to your next potential buyer we're just anothe shop they've never heard of.

We have alot of customers that buy the parts from us and have the dealer install it to save money on the parts but labor is something that's rarely skimped on.

With that being said I prefer to work on my own cars not because of saving labor but as much as I hate working on most cars working on a Ferrari or Maserati is actually enjoyable.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
zearnoid,
are you really far away from a dealer or they charge more?
it would be advisable to let the dealer take care of parts that are still under warranty.

·
Registered
513 Posts
chris7469 said:

Same thing with the services, save the plugs... You can buy all the OEM
CM
chris

do you mean the Plugs are a "dealer only" item?, I have found them at Parts places, they are NGK plugs...

While I am not Anti-dealer, I am looking for dealer alternatives. Why? Because I would prefer to use a mechanic i trust. I had my repair place who works on my other 2 cars and he looked at the Cambio System and found it very much like a Porsche Tiptronic. He could work on it. When the time came to fix mine, I went to the dealer, because yes, he has more experinces on it. There are other things, ie Routine maitenance, ..that I really don't want to hassle with the 3 week wait to get in, and the 1-2 week return time for a basic service. I will seek alternatives to the dealer.

My point is, that Sure a dealer is your safest choice, however I feel there are some people who feel there is a magical mystery to our cars when in fact they are built like any other car. Until we shed this mystery, and open up alternatives, we open ourselves to being at the mercy of dealers and their enormous markups.

·
Registered
742 Posts
We are on the same page...

demoe said:
chris

do you mean the Plugs are a "dealer only" item?, I have found them at Parts places, they are NGK plugs...

While I am not Anti-dealer, I am looking for dealer alternatives. Why? Because I would prefer to use a mechanic i trust. I had my repair place who works on my other 2 cars and he looked at the Cambio System and found it very much like a Porsche Tiptronic. He could work on it. When the time came to fix mine, I went to the dealer, because yes, he has more experinces on it. There are other things, ie Routine maitenance, ..that I really don't want to hassle with the 3 week wait to get in, and the 1-2 week return time for a basic service. I will seek alternatives to the dealer.

My point is, that Sure a dealer is your safest choice, however I feel there are some people who feel there is a magical mystery to our cars when in fact they are built like any other car. Until we shed this mystery, and open up alternatives, we open ourselves to being at the mercy of dealers and their enormous markups.
Demoe:

I think we are on the same page. My mechanic said he could do the plugs as well. I just think I may feel a little more comfortable having the dealer look at it when I hit 30,000 miles. Just to make sure everything is OK. Then again.. Depending on the wait and the price that could all change.

Having talked to a few very knowledgeable exotic mechanics that work on Lambos and Ferraris, your point has been driven home. While the dealer is great, the service department is a primary revenue driver. They want to make it seem as though no one can touch a Maserati except for authorized service, when actually there are many qualified people that can work on our cars.

CM

·
Registered
56 Posts
Has anyone changed their own oil? With a dry sump system and an outboard oil tank, I imagine there are two drains plugs, similar to a Porsche 911. I haven't looked yet .... where is the oil filter and what kind of wrench takes it off?

I enjoy changing my own oil. It's cheaper than therapy and I get to watch/listen to a ball game on the garage TV while I'm doing it.

Any DIYs on changing oil?

·
Registered
773 Posts
maintain

my little helpers change plugs and oil, they have also spliced hyd. lines for top changed cly. that operates top, one developed a leak. little helpers are not real skilled.

·
Registered
196 Posts
CCPotenza said:
Any DIYs on changing oil?
Oh aye, on my $2k Buick Park Ave, my $4k Alfa Romeo SPider and even on my now probably $8-9k Alfa Giulia Sedan i do it all the time. I also used to on my $600 Dodge Dart and on my $900 Buick Electra, my $150 Chevy Citation and not to forget my various $700-1500 motorbikes.

on a > $80k car there is no way I am going to take the chance over or undertightening an oil drain plug, or dropping said plug on the floor and perhaps not wiping it off 200% clean, or having the car slip off the drive-on ramps.... and.... etc .... bla bla.

Yes I use a torque wriench. Yes I pay attention when I drive my car up the ramps.

But if / when my car comes to a shrieking halt with a red engine light on on the dash and engine oil squirting everywhere in my engine compartment I want to yell at the dealer "what have you done now!!!???" as opposed to slapping my own brow yelling to myself "what have you done now!!???"

As far as the original question goes: if I had an established relationship with a reliable exotic car mechanic I would like him to have the business. So I would go there. If I had no such relationship I would go to the dealer.

Dolle Dolf

·
Registered
56 Posts
on a > $80k car there is no way I am going to take the chance over or undertightening an oil drain plug, or dropping said plug on the floor and perhaps not wiping it off 200% clean, or having the car slip off the drive-on ramps.... and.... etc .... bla bla.
Oil Change Therapy is not going to work for you.

Do you really mean it when you say that if you dropped your drain plug on the floor that you might not bother to get it pefectly clean before you reinsert it and tighten it to spec torque? Really, you'd just screw it in?

But if / when my car comes to a shrieking halt with a red engine light on on the dash and engine oil squirting everywhere in my engine compartment I want to yell at the dealer "what have you done now!!!???"[/
Has this actually happened to you? Wow. What dealer?

Been changing the oil in all my Porsches & BMWs for decades .... cars WAY more than $80,000. It's a generic task, just wondering if anyone had DIY and photos of the drain plug locations and oil filter (and what kind/size wrench to use).

I'm sure I'll figure it out. When I do change my own oil, I'll take photos and post them for all.

By the way, the 3 most common cause of oil leaks :

1) Attempting to re-use the existing copper washers, instead of crushing new ones.

2).Failing to lube the filter's gasket before threading it on.

3) Cross-threading the oil filter and forcing it on anyway.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I will try to get pictures as well...

CC:

I bought the filter and the washer from the dealer. It was $35.00. I am about to get the 5W40 oil from Amsoil, when you sign up as a dealer its about $65.00 for a case.

I have a friend whose shop is close. Since I do not have a lift, and his shop is brand new, I will be taking it there. I still have 2,000 miles before the oil will be changed.

I will give him my digital camera and try to post the pictures. It would be great if we had a posts like this. I noticed a few of them on the Ferrari and Lambo boards.

Also check out that website that was just posted. It has all the diagrams of our cars. You may be able to find some useful oil change info as well.

I would definatley like to see your pictures. Good luck CM

CCPotenza said:
Oil Change Therapy is not going to work for you.

Do you really mean it when you say that if you dropped your drain plug on the floor that you might not bother to get it pefectly clean before you reinsert it and tighten it to spec torque? Really, you'd just screw it in?

Has this actually happened to you? Wow. What dealer?

Been changing the oil in all my Porsches & BMWs for decades .... cars WAY more than $80,000. It's a generic task, just wondering if anyone had DIY and photos of the drain plug locations and oil filter (and what kind/size wrench to use).

I'm sure I'll figure it out. When I do change my own oil, I'll take photos and post them for all.

By the way, the 3 most common cause of oil leaks :

1) Attempting to re-use the existing copper washers, instead of crushing new ones.

2).Failing to lube the filter's gasket before threading it on.

3) Cross-threading the oil filter and forcing it on anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts