Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2004 GS but I don't know if it's got Skyhook or traditional suspensions. I am not in touch with the seller, so I was wondering if there is any other way to find out?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. :)

Sport button is there (though I thought was standard on GS - guess not).

·
Registered
279 Posts
I thought all GS comes with Skyhooks. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the ones in the US and UK (as far as that's what it says on the GranSport brochure) but not as standard anywhere else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In germany there was a brand new GS I wanted to buy. It was the last of the 0kms built in 2006. Interestingly it didn't have Skyhook... I bought a fully loaded 1 y.o. GS instead.
They are still advertising it since march :D

A.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
? as vincent mentioned, i thought all GS (worldwide) has skyhook.

do you feel your suspension firms up on the sport button?

just go out and play with the car in a couple of corners and feel the difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The GranSport brochure says: Skyhook is "Optional (exept for UK and USA), standard on GranSport Spyder.".

Can't really drive it much around Tokyo so don't think I will be able to tell the difference. Once I test drove a Coupe with skyhooks and pressing the sport button didn't really feel like there was any change.

But that could be just me ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I remember right (I can't look at it right now) it's a red silhouette of the car with an red arrow at the bottom. But it is also described in the manual.
Bert

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Bert, will take a look next time I drive it (which is none too often unfortunately) :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
why can't you test the car in tokyo???

as far as i know, the suspension firms up, even at crawling speed over speed bumps. i think you should be able to tell if your suspension changes with the sport button on.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Bert. Well had a look and the light with the car and the arrow does come on when I start the car.

Thanks for the advice :)

@M!: I don't quite feel a lot of the difference in the springs between sport and normal mode, but that's because I usually drive the car for very short distances. Will try to pay more attention to it and see if I can spot a difference

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good road surfaces

BigFoot, You really can feel the difference between the two because when you hit a pothole or any other road irregularities YOU WILL FEEL IT.
Or you have pretty much F1 roads in Japan ( i know you have. )

Try it somewhere where the road surface is not so top-notch. You will be able to tell the difference.

Attila

P.S.> I know it because in Hungary there are many bad road surfaces. Once i was flooring the car on a B road and even the bonnet/hood popped open :D
BTW i was in Sport with skyhook......

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried paying more attention to it yesterday (Sunday) and yes, without the sport button, the ride is less crashy and more comfortable.

I must say that in Tokyo traffic, it's better to keep the sport setting off, though I don't get nearly as many glances from passers-by as when it's on. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought the sport mode decreased the clutch life given its faster response?
I am not using auto, just the basic setting.

PS: No speed bumps here in Tokyo ;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
bigfoot, clutch is about the only thing that's opposite to regular common sense. The quicker you use it, the less wear there is to the clutch. The wear happens when in between engage and not engaged, and where there's slip between friction plate and clutch flywheel.

I don't quite like the standard suspention mode as it is slightly floaty. But I turn off sports mode when I am traveling in unfamiliar areas when there might be pothole or bumps big enough to ruin the 19" wheels protected by the 30/35 low profile rubber bands.

I love the mute (sport off) buttom as I come home late in the eve and the "mute" helped reduce some "complains" But starting the GS early in the morning probably isn't going to be welcomed where I live... :)

jess

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Jess :)

I do prefer the "mute" option as you say for driving around town as it's a little more relaxing than Sport. Though when I see some eye candy at the traffic lights, well ... I fall into temptation and hit the sport button ;) :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts