Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends,

I am looking for a step by step clutch replacement instructions.
Does any one has it.

Thank you, Michael
Spyder 04, CC and love it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
First you are going to need to buy the SD3...

That sets up the kiss points for your clutch after it's installed. The repair manual has the complete process but the tools are a different story...

·
Registered
339 Posts
AFAIK the PIS for the CC system can only be set by the proprietary software program installed in the official Maserati service laptop only sold to official dealers. You can physically do the install and get everything right where it's supposed to be only to be stuck with a car that won't run.

I haven't heard of anyone in a Maserati trying to do their own, however it's supposedly a similar system as Lamborghini and I do know of two people that had their Gallardo clutches installed at a non-factory shop only to need to have it towed to the dealer to have the clutch set-up with their shop computer.

·
Registered
431 Posts
DIY clutch

My dealer mechanic friend told me that you dont really need the computer or SD2 or SD3 machine. I suppose that you can install the clutch and adjust it with the SD3 machine at dealer for 1 hour labour cost or so. It will reset the cars computer to tell it that it has a new clutch and reset certain parameters.

Is there anyone outthere who can tell me if the clutch is a single tang or double tang upgrade without taking the clutch out?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The original clutch was a single tang...

But the replacements were double tangs.. All clutches that are put in now are double tang and replace the single tang.. If Kent Woodworth comes by this thread he can give you some more specifics as he is a Maserati Master Mechanic...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Grand is correct in that the first '02 model years came with single tang and were replaced for free with updated dual tangs soon after. As far as DIY, it is a straight forward job mechanically, without knowing your mechanical prowess I would highly recommend that you do not attempt yourself. If you are brave enough than you will need a proper auto lift in your garage to lift the car all the way up. Torque tube removal is a two person job, be carefull it is HEAVY. You will need a clutch alignment tool, a universal one will work just fine. It is virtually impossible to properly bleed the clutch w/o an SD2/3.It is NOT possible to set up the kisspoint (PIS) and NEW clutch value w/o an SD2/3. The PIS value will remain the same as before clutch replacement, so if it engaged correctly before there should be no issues. The new clutch value is only so the TCU (Trans control unit) can track clutch wear, It will automatically read clutch position and operate normally, but the wear value will be a higher percentage. With that said, as long as you do not rely on the clutch wear percentage for replacement and wait until it starts to slip than you should in theory be fine. Maybe I will put together a DIY for clutch replacement next time I do one. If you are adventerous enough to embark on this journey, PM me and I can send you what ever info you need. Best of luck.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Kent gave you very good information.

It is not the mechanical portion that presents a challenge.

It is what Ferrari/Maserati have created in this system as very self-serving.

You can't set the clutch properly w/o the necessary software of the SD2/3.

For the future I know of a firm in Endland who may have successfully cloned the sd2/3 info and who may in the future make it available.

However for now you are stuck with the dealer.

You could do all the work yourself and then find that no dealer wants to do the final adjustment.

So check with a local dealer as to their policy about this before you embark on this venture.

And if you so decide look elsewhere for clutch parts. The OEM parts leave a great deal to be desired.

There is a thread here about a kevlar clutch replacement. That might help you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
05 Spyder CC Clutch Questions

Just had my 18.5K check (actually have 16k) on my 05 Spyder. Was quoted $2200 by Desert European Motors in Rancho Mirage, I negotiated it to 1600 and when said and done I was out the door for 1225. They said the clutch wear indicated 0% left of the clutch, however the clutch is not slipping at all so they recomended to drive on. They also quoted me 5400 for a clutch replacement??? When I asked them why so much they said replacing the clutch also involved installing a new flywheel. Never heard that before have any of you? Any one have a similar experience? What is a realistic price for this clutch job? Thanks

Black/Black 05 Spyder CC

·
Registered
793 Posts
---When I asked them why so much they said replacing the clutch also involved installing a new flywheel. Never heard that before have any of you? Any one have a similar experience? What is a realistic price for this clutch job? ---
The F1/CC systems can be very hard on the flywheel because it is small. However, in many cases it can be resurfaced and will still be w/in factory specs. Many times a resurface is better than a replacement because you know then it is dead level.

There is no such thing as a realistic price for a clutch on a Ferrari or Maserati but pricing is usually in the $5K-$6K area.

If an independent does it, resurfaces the flywheel, rebuilds and resurfaces the pressure plate, and rebuilds the clutch disk, it will knock about $2K off that price and you'll have a superbly better clutch than what you would have with OEM parts.

Just make sure the T/O bearing gets replaced with a better quality part than OEM such as Hill Engineering.

There is a thread here on kevlar clutch replacement.

Find a quality independent. You will be "miles" better off.

·
Registered
603 Posts
But can you set the kiss point?

...It is NOT possible to set up the kisspoint (PIS) and NEW clutch value w/o an SD2/3. The PIS value will remain the same as before clutch replacement, so if it engaged correctly before there should be no issues. The new clutch value is only so the TCU (Trans control unit) can track clutch wear, It will automatically read clutch position and operate normally, but the wear value will be a higher percentage...
OK, here is completely ignorant question probably based on half truths and misinterpretation of information provided by a mechanic friend. :confused: If I understood him correctly, he suggested to set the PIS on a clutch (not specifically Maserati), it can be done mechanically or electrically.

I am assuming that if you need the SD3, then it is set electrically. His work around for OTHER type clutches, which again if I understood him correctly, is to put some jumper cables on the leads and apply a little juice and adjust that way. He says he has done this on a number of other make cars

Kent has previously provided the mm values for the PIS, so if all the above is correct, then can one see the clutch plate move and therefore adjust accordingly? Or use spark plug gap or some other guage tool to set? Of course the % wear would not return to 0, but it is not a very useful value anyway.

·
Registered
793 Posts
---:confused: If I understood him correctly, he suggested to set the PIS on a clutch (not specifically Maserati), it can be done mechanically or electrically.---
The F1/CC systems require the PIS to be set electronically ONLY. It cannot be done manually.

This then becomes a point of reference for the onboard computer to know a start value and then it can give subsequent questioned values along the way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The definitive clutch answer

Guys having the same problem my 03 4200 clutch is up for renewal and I am just trying to understand what equipment is required and why before I select who is going to do the work here in the UK..

This thread looks like the definitive detailed answer.. which I have had confirmed from a couple of garages I simply range them up and asked them to describe and talk me through equipment needed and the process you would belive the difference from needed nothing to process below which from my understading is correct.. hope this helps

Regards KG

SD2 required for manual clutch change? - 17/7/2008 23:41:28

wjk_glynn

My understanding is that you need to use the SD2 tool to correctly set the clutch kiss-point on CC and GS cars.

Do you need the SD2 when installing a new clutch in Coupes equipped with manual transmissions?

Thanks.

Karl.

Post #: 1

RE: SD2 required for manual clutch change? - 18/7/2008 10:08:48

Nigelo

Status: offline It's not just the bite point but the clutch cover also requires balancing on the vehicle. This needs an SD2/3 plus a special tool that interfaces with that which is apparently both hard to source and expensive.

hope this helps

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink
Post #: 2

RE: SD2 required for manual clutch change? - 18/7/2008 15:30:16

wjk_glynn

Status: offline Thanks Nigelo. I didn't know the SD2/3 was also used for balancing the clutch cover.

Karl.
Post #: 3

RE: SD2 required for manual clutch change? - 18/7/2008 16:48:58

Nigelo

Status: offline Yes, it's not obvious but the tool I refer to is an electronic box "Equalizer DSE1/DSE2" and 2 sensors (accelerometer & speed sensor) providing 2 inputs from the vehicle. These sensors plug into/onto vehicle, connect to the "Equalizer" which in turn is connected to the SD2/SD3 - Looks a real Bloggs lash up with everything connected but it does work and is absolutely necessary to ensure proper operation and decent service life of both clutch and engine.

FYI, you need to fart around sticking reflector strips to clutch cover (temporarily mounted to flywheel without centre plate) which refect the light emitted by a photo-electric cell mounted nearby - Out of balance forces are then decoded and analysed by the equipment. Balance weights are then bolted on as required and you are ready to install centre clutch plate and of course initiate the bite point setup for CC models.

hope this helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts