Maserati Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched through the posts and there doesn't seem to be any information about DIY spark plugs for the QP. Can this be done without lowering the engine in the QP? It seems that the left and right rearmost spark plugs are very very difficult to access. Also, I assume the same Denso Irridium IU24 plugs can be used in the QP configuration?

·
Vendor
4,745 Posts
We have sold a set of the Denso's to a customer with a QP Sport GT, I believe that they did work for him.

BTW, to anyone interested, we have several sets in stock.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'll need smurf hands to access the rear left and right plugs. It looks almost near impossible on the QP. I'll try tomorrow.

BTW: how was it determined that the Denso IU24 was a suitable plug? The Denso website doesn't list it as a M plug and on this forum it just appeared one day without much background discussion.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Vincent,
While changing the two rear spark plugs ( the last one on each cyl. bank) is
not an impossible task, it is a little complicated and a bit of hard/delicate work.No you do not have to "lower" the engine, it does come out from the bottom though. You have to remove the ENTIRE COWL ASSEMBLY, this includes removing all engine bay covers (3),the wiper arms, the upper cowl cover, the wiper motor assembly, dismounting the brake master cylinder ( not opening the hydraulic lines),removing the right hand fuse/relay box and it's mounting plate (the entire big black box) ,then unbolting the cowl from the firewall and removing it from the car. Now you have access to the coils. Everything from the windshield itself to the engine on the firewall fender to fender wil be gutted for this. be VERY,VERY carefull around your paintwork and very delicate with the plastic components. And one more thing, those iridium plugs will work just fine- no miracles though, and do not forget to put anti sieze compound on the threads. Beyond that, just have fun!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vincent,
While changing the two rear spark plugs ( the last one on each cyl. bank) is
not an impossible task... You have to remove the ENTIRE COWL ASSEMBLY, this includes removing all engine bay covers (3),the wiper arms, the upper cowl cover, the wiper motor assembly, dismounting the brake master cylinder ( not opening the hydraulic lines),removing the right hand fuse/relay box and it's mounting plate (the entire big black box) ,then unbolting the cowl from the firewall and removing it from the car.
That's what I thought. I've done almost all of the maintenance items myself; however, still will be bringing the QP in for it's final inspection prior to the end of the warranty. I'll probably let them handle the plugs. About 15 years ago I had a Jaguar XJS v12 and I had to remove the air conditioning system to change the plugs! After that experience, I'll pass on this one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
WOW! I just got my 2005 Quattroporte and while it's got good service records, but has just clicked over a year since last service (only 2,000 Miles). I was thinking of doing the service myself (I've built several cars so have experience, but never an exotic). Has anyone done this and taken pics? or is there a manual floating around the web at all?

Also can I reset the service warning OBDII scanner?

·
Registered
905 Posts
WOW! I just got my 2005 Quattroporte and while it's got good service records, but has just clicked over a year since last service (only 2,000 Miles). I was thinking of doing the service myself (I've built several cars so have experience, but never an exotic). Has anyone done this and taken pics? or is there a manual floating around the web at all?

Also can I reset the service warning OBDII scanner?
Kent's description above is the best I have found. With respect to the service indicator light, that is NOT an OBDII reset item. You need the Maserati computer to reset that. I'd just live with it as it only flashes on at beginning of start-up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've done the spark plug change myself. I got the plugs from Jeff @ FD. It takes time to remove the window cow and blades but besides that it was easy. Just plan on spending about 45 mins to get things apart. Changing the plugs took about 20 mins. I took my time because I didn't want to break anything. If you have a good set of tools with extensions the job takes no time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m actually doing my plugs at the same time as alternator replacement. If you don’t have all the extensions you’d Have to pull the top firewall out and wipers. Mine seems pretty easy to get to now. Is there any trick to getting them out otherwise?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.