Maserati Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Dealer ID

I live in Charlotte, NC and the dealer is Foreign Cars Italia. They have a sales office / showroom here in Charlotte and and full service multi premium brand super store and service center in Greensboro, NC which about 2 hours from Charlotte. There are rumors they may open a service in Charlotte too in '09 but for now are not only correcting the issue for me but also picking it up from my front door, repairing it and bringing it back...kind of hard to argue with that kind of service! I already told them when it's time for my GTouris I'm def coming to them.

http://www.foreigncarsitalia.com/

·
Registered
38 Posts
check list

In regards to the check list, what years of the Cambi should the relay be replaced? In checking for software updates, should it be done, or not, as I see that there may be an issue of it not working properly after and non-reversible?! Are there any good shops up here in the Northeast (Boston area) that can be trusted, as there is only one "dealer"?! Thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
This is a comprehensive list... I would also add the following:

On the coupe, check the paint around the bumper and below the rear lights very carefully.
A cheap fix is to touch up the damaged area whereas the correct repair is to actually repaint the entire back half of the car/front windshield back, excluding doors.

A minor rear end can add up to 18k if the damage is not limited to the bumper & paint is damaged.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As a community, I believe that we will all benefit from having a definitive pre-purchase inspection checklist. Sellers and buyers (and keepers) alike can refer to such a list to assess the current "state of health" of their cars and use that assessment to determine value and/or the remediation steps required to return their cars to their original glory.

After reading the entirety of the archives here (yes, I reviewed all 2500+ posts), I have gleened the following insofar as pre-purchase items are concerned.

Coupe CC/GT Pre-Purchase Inspection List
Prepared by John in DC / August 12, 2007

General Information
- Confirm that the gas line recall issue has been addressed. http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/67-int/2003/maserati/coupe/base/index.html
- Contact dealer with the VIN number to attempt to get service records on the car.
- Check CarFax to see owner history (be careful--some information may be incorrect).

Engine
- Surging at idle, rough idle--leaking manifold gaskets, faulty fuel pressure reg., leak in air cleaner assembly, air temp sensor, etc.
- Gasoline smell from engine compartment--check for leaking fuel lines, leaking injectors.
- Check engine oil--see if it is at least somewhat clean and proper level.
- If high mileage, have pressure and leak down tests performed to assure valves and piston rings are sealing correctly.
- Check engine light illuminated? If so, have the dealer provide you with a readout of engine fault codes.

DriveLine
- For CambioCorsa cars, confirm that latest software updates have been applied to the transmission.
- For GT cars, check smooth operation of 2nd gear. Some owners have reported that 1-2 shifts and 3-2 shifts are difficult when the transmission is cold.
- Have a dealer or Indy check the condition / life remaining in the clutch surface. This should become part of price negotiations if you decide to buy the car.
- Has the F1 pump been changed? When? Check service records to confirm.
- When was the last time the F1 transmission pump relay was replaced? Be sure to replace it yearly as cheap insurance against F1 pump failure modes.
- For early model year Coupes, determine whether it has single tang or dual tang clutch. Some singles were upgraded to duals by the dealer. Check service records to confirm.

Suspension/Wheels
- Wobble in steering when accelerating or decelerating--can be unbalanced tires, warped rotors, bent wheels, loose suspension parts.
- During test drive, jam on the brakes fast and hard. Feel for any wobble in the steering wheel which could be indicative of worn bushings and/or warped brake rotors.
- Check brake pads on all four corners. Confirm there is ample pad surface left.
- Measure rotor thickness and confirm that there is ample material left. (Need some specs to be supplied here)
- Check tire wear--gives a great indication of front suspension problems (assumes SOME tire wear).
- If the car has been lowered (easier on Skyhook cars), check to confirm that a proper alignment was performed afterwards. Obtain alignment specs if possible.
- Check for visible signs of wheel damage. Possible out-of-round conditions due to hitting pot holes or similar causes of damage.

Exterior
- Paint condition. Check for rock chips, door dings, and scrapes on the front chin/spoiler area.
- Check for overspray of paint on any gaskets or rubber contact points in hood or trunk area (will show if has been re-painted)
- Check for even the tiniest point of rust ANYWHERE on the car and under the car. You should not find any rust on the body ANYWHERE. However, the exhaust is prone to rusting. Normal.
- Rock chips on front of car--two edged sword. Ugly and expensive to repair but actually indicates more highway mileage, which in my book is a GOOD thing mechanically.
- Be sure to check under car and look at exhaust system from engine all the way back to tail-pipes for rust-contact on body, etc.
- Check to see if the gas cap opens properly. Some owners reported sticky gas caps.
- Check rubber window gaskets.

Interior
- With windows down, find a stretch of bumpy road and confirm that there are no rattling noises coming from the door panel area (possible window retractor problem).
- Check for condition of all leather, leather trim, headliner, and carpet.
- Confirm proper (read: non-sticky) operation of emergency brake.

Electrical
- Confirm window "dip" when opening door. Could indicate sensor issue or that window needs to be recalibrated.
- Operate windows, steering wheel, and seat positions--especially seat base up and down travel. Right side mirror should tilt down when reverse is selected.
- Check radio and CD player (bring some CD's to confirm proper operation).
- If car has navigation, confirm that latest Nav disks are supplied with the car.
- Check operation of all lights. Headlights, turn signals, brake lights, driving lights, reverse lights, interior lights.
- Check air conditioning and heating. Cycle through all controlls to confirm proper operation.

While the Coupe is still relatively young model, there will inevitable be additions to be made as time progresses. In this regard, my wish is that this become a living document - - one to be updated as the cars age and as new challenges & concerns are discovered.

To that end, I invite all members here to add any comments regarding additions and/or edits that should be made to the list.

Rgds...

- John in DC

Excellent list John, I'm about to buy a 2006 grandsport, so I guess I can use the same list, the car has 16k miles, let me know if you have any further advice, tks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Excellent list John, I'm about to buy a 2006 grandsport and I'll refer to this list, any further advice? the car has 16k miles, tks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Keys, keys, keys. make sure you get both keys and the valet. Replacing keys is about $500.00 a pop!

·
Super Moderator
3,294 Posts
With the duo-select transmission, most of it. Do you know who will be performing the PPI? Have you picked a car yet?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Before hitting the road to drive it back home...

Hi lcdave
Thank You for your reply.

I have picked up a car. Going to get it in NYC.
Maserati Long Island will perform the recall rear tie rods before.

When Maserati will do the recall, will they do a quick inspection of the car as well?

PPI is the 31,000K maintenance?

Should Maserati do the recall about the fuel line or it does not apply to Q?

Also, I need to make sure about the oil change, coolant and differential fluid to be new?

How old can it be in order to drive it back?

I will take her on a road trip back home!

Thank You

·
Super Moderator
3,294 Posts
Congratulations :cheers:

1. Good
2. You should ask for an inspection.
3. No. PPI is an inspection for the purpose of determining if there are issues that would affect the price/sale of a car. The scheduled maintenance is just that. See #2 above.
4. Two years is the recommended change IIRC
5. Several years I suppose, but I wouldn't recommend it. See #4 .
6. The best way to acquaint yourself with your new car as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great info. Any concerns about having the PPI done by the same dealer selling the car? If so, is there more than one reputable place to have a PPI done in Phoenix/Scottsdale on an '05 Gransport Spyder? Car being sold by Scottsdale Ferrari.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
32 Participants
flipper
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing