Maserati Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Special feature, the oil coats the crossmember, creating a protection from corrosion required for long term road use. Also reduces coefficient of friction of flooring material*, lowering effort required to slide under the car while on floor stands.

*Please refer to shirt replacement TSB. Non-warranty replacement advised.

·
Registered
109 Posts
LOL, I thought that was only a feature found on English cars ;)

My TR6 and XK120 make good work of marking their respective territories in the garage :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
2008 qp executive diy oil change

I have a 2008 QP Executive ...I have drained the oil via the main center plug and removed the filter. I do not know if my car is a dry or wet sump....I cannot find the second drain plug. any help? any advice on draining the rear diff. fluid?...How do I know what sump my car is?????
Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
635 Posts
LOL, I thought that was only a feature found on English cars ;)

My TR6 and XK120 make good work of marking their respective territories in the garage :D
One of the worst cars I had for oil changes was our (2) Alfa Romeo 164's. When you drained the oil, it poured onto the cross-member and as an added bonus, coated the rubber motor-mount with oil too. That rear mount would usually give up the ghost after a couple years with the engine torque and oil saturated rubber working together in harmony. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
621 Posts
Anthony, wet sump (one plug) is for automatics. If you have a duoselect then it has a dry sump with two plugs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Anthony, wet sump (one plug) is for automatics. If you have a duoselect then it has a dry sump with two plugs.
Does any one knows how many liters of oil are needed for the wet sump engine with automatica? For dry sump is 9liters has AS Motorports mention, how much for the wet?

J.Seven

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes this is a bit of a thread revival, but..... I thought I'd change the oil, thinking this would be an easy job. I have a 2005 DS (dry sump) car.

Draining the oil was easy (2 drains). The manual says to remove the heat shield between the oil filter and the exhaust... I found this impossible, but could move it partially out of the way. I then couldn't remove the oil filter after it was unscrewed... to make matters worse, this was the smaller filter (289571 of the later cars) not the larger 188814 thats specified for my model... I don't see this mentioned as a problem on any DIY threads, am I missing something?

2,966 Posts
You have the wrong oil filter for a dry sump car...They are NOT interchangeable and you can mess something up....You need the 188814....You don't need to remove anything..I big set of oil filter pliers will do the trick......Jason

·
Registered
56 Posts
You have the wrong oil filter for a dry sump car...They are NOT interchangeable and you can mess something up....You need the 188814....You don't need to remove anything..I big set of oil filter pliers will do the trick......Jason
The 289571 model filter was already on the car. I managed to replace it with the 188814 (which is cheaper as it has no by pass valve).

There was no problem unscrewing the filter, the problem was removing it once it was free. I could find no way of doing this. I could only move (but not replace) the oil filter heat sheild (even though the factory workshop manual says to remove it, and shows it removed).

I ended up asking the previous owner, who did most work himself, though he is in the motor trade, and he said the only way he managed was to remove the heat shield above the primary cat next to the oil filter. Low and behold, this made it possible to easily remove/replace the filter.

2,966 Posts
He is also the same person that installed the wrong filter....I have changed the oil filter once or twice on dry sump cars..I have never removed anything....I have never run into this issue...Jason

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yes this is a bit of a thread revival, but..... I thought I'd change the oil, thinking this would be an easy job. I have a 2005 DS (dry sump) car.

Draining the oil was easy (2 drains). The manual says to remove the heat shield between the oil filter and the exhaust... I found this impossible, but could move it partially out of the way. I then couldn't remove the oil filter after it was unscrewed... to make matters worse, this was the smaller filter (289571 of the later cars) not the larger 188814 thats specified for my model... I don't see this mentioned as a problem on any DIY threads, am I missing something?
hello everybody :smile2::smile2:

all is easy ,not diificult 2 drains purge 9-9.5 liters oïl for change the oïl filter search on the website i make a thread with picture :wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
10 Posts

I saw a guy on YouTube saying if you make the mistake to use the wrong filter out of this 2 models you'll damage your Maserati. the filter part starting with # 1 is for dry sump duo select or F1 and the one starting with #2 is for wet sump Auto. so someone put the wrong filter in your vehicle. I called Maserati if Atlanta and gave them my VIN and asked me if Auto of F1 transmission I said Auto so he said part# 289571
See the following link
Watch "Maserati oil filter mistake can cost you a new engine" on YouTube

Watch "Maserati oil filter mistake can cost you a new engine" on YouTube

·
Registered
10 Posts
He is also the same person that installed the wrong filter....I have changed the oil filter once or twice on dry sump cars..I have never removed anything....I have never run into this issue...Jason
Jason, can you tell me when changing my oil how many quarts of oil will need to fill my my Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT Automatic wet sump ?

Is this correct? I found this info online

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
For a DRY SUMP:

Refill with 6-7 qt,. Start the car and bring up to temp (fans turn on). Then fill up to 8, then check level. Keep filling until the the level sits between the markers on the stick. Engine must continue to run. You'll wind up putting about 8.5-9 qt., typically.

Be sure to drain the sump, then block, then remove the filter. I find it easier to remove the heat shield first, as I don't have a lift and grip angles are difficult. Don't over-tighten the filters or the drain plugs.

Whole job takes me 1hr, 20min.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts