Sponsor
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

A quick DIY overview for doing a oil-change on a QPV
First of all,
Let the engine cool down, open the oilcap make sure nothing can drop in to it
then lift the car up.

Once under the car place your oil catch pan, in the shop we use a professional one with a reservoir, If your doing this a DIY and don't have such oil catch get a large bucket there will be a lot of oil coming out of the engine (9 liters)

See photo 1

Anyway loosen the bolt slowly and remove it.
Wait for all the oil to drain, than re insert the bolt with a new gasket washer.

Then go to the passenger side (LHD car) near the catalytic & collector you'll see the oil filter horizontally, first you'll need to remove the three bolts attaching the heat shield.

See photo 2

Keep in mind the catalytic can still be very hot!

Place your oilcatch underneath the filter then remove it,
when it stops draining remaining oil from the oilpump install the new filter first smear some oil on the O ring on the oil filter than screw it in place.
See photo 3

Don't over tighten it.

Check that the oil plug is secured then lower the car.
Lower the car, fill the engine with 9 liters of oil (5w40).
Close the cap start up the engine let it idle for a few minutes to get it up to temperature (you'll hear the fan's kick in)

Now shut the engine off and fill the oil level to max on the dipstick
Keep in mind your filling the engine up whilst it's warm so when it cools down the oil level will lower to half way.

Never over fill the engine as it harmful to the seals and can cause expensive damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Awesome. Will be handy for when I do my first DIY service on the QP.
hello

:177: it is new ? year ?

normally you have a warranty book and plan maintenance
in italian English French German

and you have in this book all information for the maintenance :deal:

if you dont have i can give you a picture 500 usd :comp03: :furious2:

dont worry it's free :beam:

·
Registered
545 Posts
hello

:177: it is new ? year ?

normally you have a warranty book and plan maintenance
in italian English French German

and you have in this book all information for the maintenance :deal:

if you dont have i can give you a picture 500 usd :comp03: :furious2:

dont worry it's free :beam:
Thanks but I have all the factory booklets that came with the car.

·
Registered
621 Posts
These are also incorrect, but only the oil level check. The service manual does state to check while the engine is shut off, but the actual level is checked while running, not while the motor is off. You can get close though, but just remember it can take a few minutes for the oil to move around so don't put in too much and make sure you take some with you for a few drives and fillups. It just needs to be on the stick, not at max. More is not always better...

Also, check your oil line as it comes away from the bottom of the sump, make sure it is not rubbing on any other lines. If it rubs through, you have a pretty expensive repair coming. I separated mine a bit and covered with an abrasion resistant covering.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Oh god. I need to have a good read of the workshop manual when the time comes.... Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Service icon reset?

Once the service is complete, how does one reset the service icon(little green wrench on instrument cluster)?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am a little bit confused since A.S.M. didn't mention about the second drain (oil reservoir). I am going to change the oil and I am not sure if the QP has one or two drains.
Any advice?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am a little bit confused since A.S.M. didn't mention about the second drain (oil reservoir). I am going to change the oil and I am not sure if the QP has one or two drains.
Any advice?
hello giuseppeboise , i think , for put oil it's here this is the same place to check the oil level and put the oil if it's the same configuration duo select 2005 look at the book

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi everyone,

A quick DIY overview for doing a oil-change on a QPV
First of all,
Let the engine cool down, open the oilcap make sure nothing can drop in to it
then lift the car up.

Once under the car place your oil catch pan, in the shop we use a professional one with a reservoir, If your doing this a DIY and don't have such oil catch get a large bucket there will be a lot of oil coming out of the engine (9 liters)

See photo 1

Anyway loosen the bolt slowly and remove it.
Wait for all the oil to drain, than re insert the bolt with a new gasket washer.

Then go to the passenger side (LHD car) near the catalytic & collector you'll see the oil filter horizontally, first you'll need to remove the three bolts attaching the heat shield.

See photo 2

Keep in mind the catalytic can still be very hot!

Place your oilcatch underneath the filter then remove it,
when it stops draining remaining oil from the oilpump install the new filter first smear some oil on the O ring on the oil filter than screw it in place.
See photo 3

Don't over tighten it.

Check that the oil plug is secured then lower the car.
Lower the car, fill the engine with 9 liters of oil (5w40).
Close the cap start up the engine let it idle for a few minutes to get it up to temperature (you'll hear the fan's kick in)

Now shut the engine off and fill the oil level to max on the dipstick
Keep in mind your filling the engine up whilst it's warm so when it cools down the oil level will lower to half way.

Never over fill the engine as it harmful to the seals and can cause expensive damage.
A.S. Motorsport - your original post is not completely correct. On the M139 QP there are 2 drains. One in the front (which you picture), second is the middle of the engine (on the bottom) - allen bolt marked "scarico olio". If you don't drain this, you will have left about 2 litters of old oil in the engine. I did not drain it and that is how I know. The oil I used (Motul) was clear - old oil was brown. When I filled the new oil, only about 7 liters went in. When checking oil after running the car, the oil was not clear anymore, it mixed in with the old and became "brownish".

So for all you DIY's out there - on the 2006 QP DuoSelect (M139), you need to drain both plugs for a complete oil change.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A.S. Motorsport - your original post is not completely correct. On the M139 QP there are 2 drains. One in the front (which you picture), second is the middle of the engine (on the bottom) - allen bolt marked "scarico olio". If you don't drain this, you will have left about 2 litters of old oil in the engine. I did not drain it and that is how I know. The oil I used (Motul) was clear - old oil was brown. When I filled the new oil, only about 7 liters went in. When checking oil after running the car, the oil was not clear anymore, it mixed in with the old and became "brownish".

So for all you DIY's out there - on the 2006 QP DuoSelect (M139), you need to drain both plugs for a complete oil change.
Amen. Was going to chime in with that myself but you beat me to it ;)

I've done enough oil changes on other dry-sump cars (old 911s and Mercedes 6.9) to know that there will always be a bit of oil in the 'sump' of the engine itself, even though the majority is in the tank.

So indeed, you do need to remove the allen bolt on the bottom of the engine. When I changed my oil most recently, I got about 1.5-2.0 litres (additional) out when that bolt was undone. I'll also note that it's in an unfortunate location as it seemed to run all over one of the small cross-members as it drained. Gotta love the Italians :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts