Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
What's a QT?
Is that the new crossover vehicle? (QP and GT)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Make sure you get the correct instructions for your year/model car. The duoselect has a dry sump oil system, and is hence very, very different to handle

·
Registered
905 Posts
What is a Quatroporte? Is that the new smaller four door version?! Or, another typo??

Yo, what year, model and transmission does your vehicle have? Full automatic or F1 duoselect?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get instructions for changing my oil for my QT

Stan
Well no one seems to be answering your question...:help: so i'll do it for you. Now i've never changed the oil on a maserati, but it's the same for every car (slight differences for wet sump and dry sump)

I assume (too lazy to look up) that the 06 was still a Dry sump oil pickup, which is better than a wet sump. Wet sump is basically when the oil is contained in the oil pan (and crankcase). In a dry sump oil system, minimal oil is stored in the oil pan, instead it is usually pumped into a tall cylindrical chamber. Oil is fed into the top an spills on a spiral baffle, which separates gasses from the oil. This is partly why a dry sump is better than a wet sump, because it results in less aeration of your engine oil, and thus better lubrication. Because of this second chamber, the engine is much better lubricated than a conventional wet sump pick up, during high load cornering.

How to check your oil:
Check a dry sump system after it has warmed to operating temperature, turn off the engine, and give it a few minutes to allow the oil to drain. Pull on the dipstick for the engine oil. The level must be between the lower and upper limits, I usually fill mine up to right under the upper limit

How to change your oil:
The black engine shroud may/probably has to be removed.
Now on the bottom of the engine (on the underside), you'll see the oil pan. There should be two bolts in the oil pan. One bolt drains the oil pan, the other the external reservoir. You'll need to remove these (using a socket and ratchet of the appropriate size, lefty lossy, righty tighty). As you remove these, the engine oil will start to drain out. Replace the two bolts, and retighten them (tight, but don't strip the oil pan threads)
Refill with oil (I suggest a fully synthetic oil, you'll need to buy the right weight of oil and amount, but i don't have the service manual so i'm not sure)
*Edit* and change your oil filter. apparently they have them at formuladynamics.com

Hope it helps. If anyone has the service manual, I could tell you the amount of oil to buy (a DIY oil change will cost you ~$30 for the best oil money can buy. 5w-40 Engine oil is the weight)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Here's a PDF that was posted a while back by Universal Autosports. It's for a 4200 coupe so, not sure it's exactly the same for a QP so, do a dry run first.

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
Engine off? Is this correct?

...How to check your oil:
Check a dry sump system after it has warmed to operating temperature, turn off the engine, and give it a few minutes to allow the oil to drain. Pull on the dipstick for the engine oil. The level must be between the lower and upper limits, I usually fill mine up to right under the upper limit...
Dry Sump: My understanding is that while it is correct to check oil only after car is warm, it is critical to check oil level with car running at idle. To do otherwise risks overfilling which can result in damage. See: http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/modern-maserati/11114-too-much-oil.html

As a humurous aside, when I first got my QP, and not familiar with dry sumps, I phoned the dealer to confirm how to check oil before embarking on my first long drive. I was told, "you can't, this should be done by the dealer"! I was quite taken aback, but then I wasn't sure if they mean't most Maserati owners wouldn't want to get their hands dirty, if they thought I was incapable, or if they simply wanted to provide (and charge?) me service. The cynical side of me thinks they wanted me to come in and check the oil only to "discover" something else that would need servicing. In fairness however, I should add that since then, my local dealer has been very good albeit expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

I own a 2007 Maserati Quattroporte Executive GT DuoSelect Sedan 4D. I need to change my oil. What's a good place to find a filter and has anyone here ever done a oil change on 2007 Maserati Quattroporte Executive GT DuoSelect Sedan 4D . I am pretty savvy around cars so soem great times would be great.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have a 2006 duo, very easy. Just follow the instructions listed above, works great.

Lots of screws to remove underneath, it is a pain in the butt though no part of the process is really difficult. Just make sure you have a small strap wrench for the oil filter.

There are a few forum sponsors that can hook you up on the filters and crush rings. Don't forget the rings, otherwise you will have a drip later.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Oil level check

I just bought a 2004 coupe. Thought I would check the oil level.. With the engine running, warm,, oil is way above the max mark.. I checked it with the engine cold and off, it was right at the max mark.. I guess when you check it with the engine off, the oil level is lower on the dipstick. I guess I will have to change it myself to do it right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can BOTH drains AND oil FILTER be removed WITHOUT elevating car (GT/Coupe)???

That is, can normal sized person reach these components by "reaching" from side/front of car and re-install and wipe-up any "runs, drips or errors?"

As for checking dry sump oil level, dipstick goes into reservoir. Level marks account for engine running/recycling from engine sump to reservoir. I gather that if you are "quick," you could shut engine OFF and reach in to check oil (but why?), and get an accurate level in reservoir BEFORE oil in reservoir starts to "equalize" with and fill engine sump. If you "miss" normal, running sump capacity with "drain-back" from reservoir, you "might" be fooled into topping up, when in fact the "missing" oil is in your (now full) engine sump !!! AND, you may have just "overfilled" your engine oil system. EHT/Aiken, SC

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2006 qp was running fine then I did a oil change and now it says no oil pressure oil is on the stick by the full mark. I didnt put oil in the filter when installed dont know how to prime the system has anyone else had this problem it's a dry sump.

5,830 Posts
You don't need to prime the filter...I assume you are putting oil in the sump container in the right front of the car? How many QTs did you put it? Jason

·
Registered
19 Posts
I didnt think you had to fill It but I didnt do it right from the get go. I never pulled the bottom bolt on the engine .so I didnt get all the oil out plan on running for 1000 mile then doing another oil change

1 - 20 of 31 Posts