Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a Maserati without paddle shifters is just plain wrong! The minute I found out that shifters can be added to a QP that wasn't ordered with them, I knew I had to get it done. I figured I would document the process just in case anyone else was interested.

I wanted to thank Ryan at Exotic Auto Recycling (a sponsor) for helping me out by providing the parts and taking some helpful pictures while he was removing the parts from one of his Maserati part cars.

Also, thanks to fellow member "GreatNeckLawyer" for confirming that this can be done and posting the parts required!

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Awesome! But you should at least have the key removed from the ignition if you do not disconnect the battery for airbag removal. If you have the key turned just a bit, it could actually have the airbag system powered up and it can cause deployment when you reconnect the airbag to the steering wheel clockspring. I haven't ever done that, but I've seen it happen to people before. Keeping the key out of the ignition and away from the car is actually sort of a "lockout/tagout" safety.

Nick

·
Registered
66 Posts
Having a Maserati without paddle shifters is just plain wrong! The minute I found out that shifters can be added to a QP that wasn't ordered with them, I knew I had to get it done. I figured I would document the process just in case anyone else was interested.

I wanted to thank Ryan at Exotic Auto Recycling (a sponsor) for helping me out by providing the parts and taking some helpful pictures while he was removing the parts from one of his Maserati part cars.

Also, thanks to fellow member "GreatNeckLawyer" for confirming that this can be done and posting the parts required!
Amazing write-up! Had I known that the Car does not have to go on the Dealer's Computer to be "told" it now has Paddle Shifters, I would certainly have done it myself, and this DIY should have everyone on this forum now doing so.

Again, having Paddle Shifters on the Car is "night and day" from the Non-Paddle Shift Car. To paraphrase Lady GaGa --- they should all be "born this way."

Props to Quadport09 for his DIY, and for giving me some credit therein.

--- ANDY

·
Registered
24 Posts
Paddle Shifters

Having QP without paddle shifters is like having a sandwich without the bread yeah you can still eat it but you know something's missing. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just did the install yesterday. Getting the airbag out without tool is the hardest part. Got the paddle shifters from EBAY for 75 Euros! :Tombo: So if you want to do it check those sites before spending 1k+ for new parts.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats. It's a rewarding feeling driving with the paddles and having done the mod yourself!
Saving some dough doesn't hurt either!! Were you able to get the column covers on EBAY too?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats. It's a rewarding feeling driving with the paddles and having done the mod yourself!
Saving some dough doesn't hurt either!! Were you able to get the column covers on EBAY too?
Yes, same vendor. Paid 99 euros for both.

Thanks for your DIY guide, helped alot! :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
shift paddles

Excellent write up, I was a little hesitant with air bags, I did not wish to disconnect battery, however this detailed procedure convinced me to look past the air bag disconnect! n/carolina dealer supplied covers for $220.00 shipped, I drove it tonite with paddles, yes that is the piece that i was missing, thank you for sharing your information, worked out great!! on another note , I also have another set of paddles for anyone out there interested, pm me if anyone is interested .:autofahrer:

·
Registered
13 Posts
shift paddles

I would sell paddles for $250.00+ ship, I dont have column covers, however i found stick no more a sponsor here may have a set of covers please let me know, Randy

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
So Yes the F1 paddles are the same? To be clear I am wanting to add paddle shifters to my 2007 QP with a ZF transmission and no paddle shifters right now so I need the shifters with whatever electronics are included to send the shift signals when plugged into the harness.
Correct

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So Yes the F1 paddles are the same? To be clear I am wanting to add paddle shifters to my 2007 QP with a ZF transmission and no paddle shifters right now so I need the shifters with whatever electronics are included to send the shift signals when plugged into the harness.
The paddle shifter assembly is the same on both ZF and F1 QP's. However. if your car does not currently have paddle shifters, you will need to buy the assembly from a dealer or a used parts supplier. The carbon fiber accessory from FD does NOT include the required paddle shifter assembly!

·
Registered
64 Posts
So today I planned on adding paddle shifters to my 2007 QP.

Bought all of the parts and began the work following the very well explained directions post here. Unfortunately after spend 2 hours trying to remove the airbag, I had to give up.

I pushed, pried used most every tool I had that would fit in the hole but nothing.

Can anyone please describe in detail what needs to be done to remove the airbag?

Thanks in advance to all.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts