Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a '13 Granturismo w/30k miles. The dealer said the ZF is gone but didn't give a lot of details. A few questions...

I was under the impression that the ZF (is it the 6HP26?) was pretty bullet proof. What horrible misuse would lead to a tranny failure at only 30k?
Also, assuming I take it on myself to replace the ZF, should I be worried about the engine or other components? What should I be looking for?

Thanks!!

· Registered
150 Posts
I'm looking at a '13 Granturismo w/30k miles. The dealer said the ZF is gone but didn't give a lot of details. A few questions...

I was under the impression that the ZF (is it the 6HP26?) was pretty bullet proof. What horrible misuse would lead to a tranny failure at only 30k?
Also, assuming I take it on myself to replace the ZF, should I be worried about the engine or other components? What should I be looking for?

Thanks!!
Subtract no less than $6K from whatever the price is.... swap the transmission, engine/trans mounts and flush all the fluids and you might be good. You have a link to the car?

· Registered
2013 GranTurismo Sport, Nero Carbonio Ext.
8 Posts
I would say overall from the majority of experiences people have .... the transmission is indeed pretty solid. That of course isn't to say it is impossible that someone had bad experience but it does not seem that common especially at such low miles. We have no idea what the prior owner was doing with the car.. I just bought a 2013 ZF car in June, 41k miles, no issues at all.

Are you interested in this specific car because perhaps the price on the car is lowered due to the trans failure ?? Specific color combo you like ? Is it a local car? It's not say you cannot be successful with this car after repairing it, but still, you might want to think on this a lot. I can't offer prices to fix, but at least $6k minimum seems about right per the response above from immaengineer.

A car that seems to check out positively does not mean it won't have issues soon after.....but still, with a car that already has a severe failure , I would be wary about this car possibly needing more work than the transmission only. Do you know a mechanic experienced in these cars that is willing to do an inspection ? That way you might have a better idea of how much work the car needs and can decide whether to go for it or wait for another spec to come along.

· Registered
201 Posts
you guys are severely underestimating how expensive this job may potentially be... buying a transmission for 1-5k is just the start, then getting someone to replace it will be another 1-5k depending on labor and then since this is an auto trans there is a trans ecu/modules that need to be reprogrammed to work with the original chassis/engine module,. None of this is insurmountable of course but a dealer/independent with the maserati diag tools will most likely be needed and good luck on getting them to accept that work for cheap unless the car comes to them looking pristine after the transmission swap and even then they are certainly not going to cut you a break on the service unless they are doing the replacement as well.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies and sanity check.
Is it local, yes, it's local and the colour combo is really nice, blue with cream (white) interior. Looks really sharp.
I did look up some more info and I agree with you, the ZF isn't known to be a weak spot and it could be bad luck, or it could be a sign of major abuse. Checking the engine and trans mounts for excessive wear may also give a clue if it's bad luck or misuse.

I'll tell the dealer that very reputable sources told me $15k was the cost of replacement, we'll see where that gets me. lol

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and sanity check.
Is it local, yes, it's local and the colour combo is really nice, blue with cream (white) interior. Looks really sharp.
I did look up some more info and I agree with you, the ZF isn't known to be a weak spot and it could be bad luck, or it could be a sign of major abuse. Checking the engine and trans mounts for excessive wear may also give a clue if it's bad luck or misuse.

I'll tell the dealer that very reputable sources told me $15k was the cost of replacement, we'll see where that gets me. lol
Are you referring to this one here: 2013 Maserati GranTurismo Sport - Carmatch Auto Group ???

· Registered
143 Posts
Good point sock tucker
Every once and while I’ll get a lead or run into a
‘Great deal’ mechanics special
But you gotta ask yourself why the 5-7 looker’s before you pass up such a great deal
Many others more capable than myself passed

7,633 Posts
Run Forest run...These hardly ever work out...That is why I don't touch the stuff and I'm "hooked up" so da speak....It is like buying shitty stocks...You get what you pay for...Speculation...Jason

· Registered
3 Posts
You got it, that's the one. Love the interior. Do you know anything about this car?

Yes, I was looking to buy it also cause it seem like a good deal but the dealer was being too shady with me and not providing anymore History on it of what happened so I decided to stay away from it. Also the matter of the fact he didn’t list that anything is wrong with it in the ad and it’s been sitting there for sale for over 10 months now tells you something.

Ended up getting another one on a really good deal with full history and trust me I know how to pull the tranny and swap it out but not willing to get a lemon 🍋 and keep going deep into the rabbit hole 🕳.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I was looking to buy it also cause it seem like a good deal but the dealer was being too shady with me and not providing anymore History on it of what happened so I decided to stay away from it. Also the matter of the fact he didn’t list that anything is wrong with it in the ad and it’s been sitting there for sale for over 10 months now tells you something.

Ended up getting another one on a really good deal with full history and trust me I know how to pull the tranny and swap it out but not willing to get a lemon 🍋 and keep going deep into the rabbit hole 🕳.
10 MONTHS ?!?! Holy sheep. I did talk to him and saw the ad that's currently up on Autotrader is 90 days old, but he never gave the impression that he's been holding on to this car for that long. For sure something is going on here that he's not disclosing.

· Registered
134 Posts

Thanks!!
I owned my 2009 (same tranny) for 7y and did 112k miles before a gf crashed my car. That transmission was trouble free the entire time I owned it and it supposed to be rock solid.

The engine is solid, but other components are a POS. The alternator went out at 60k miles, $2700 to replace with install. I went through 3 sets of upper and lower ball-joints and bushings for both sides of the front end ($10,000).
Overall I have $35,000 in receipts over 7y - as to any indication of what this beast will cost you. I did all the service my self for annual oil, fluids and belts, but still got manhandled since I can't do suspension at home. I went through 1 set of tires every year (daily driver).

Other big bogey - the entire rack n' pinion went out at 90k miles, that cost me $4,500. I would honestly tell anyone without deep pockets to stay away from all 2005-2013 Maserati's. Gorgeous leather handmade car, but will be very expensive to maintain. I would opt for a newer gen car 2014+

· Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
766 Posts
I hear you on all that D-G (y) :(...but what's the big differences from '13 to '14?

· Registered
160 Posts

Thanks!!
A another car

1 - 20 of 34 Posts