Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to know whether if I can fully evacuate the oil sump on a QP via the dipstick tube? The dipstick enclosure is slightly different than what I've seen on other cars. It seems there is a thin metal tube inside a wider plastic based tube. The dipstick is put into the metal tube; but the dipstick handle/top covers the entire plastic tube. I assume I can replenish the oil directly into the general opening rather than trying to direct oil into the dipstick metal tube.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was able to evacuate about 8 quarts through the dipstick via an oil extractor. I took a closer look at the filler tube and realized you can pour oil directly into the larger tube, which is metal and not plastic.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is great news! The QP you have is 05, so it has the same dry sump as the coupe, right?
My knowledge of Maseratis is extremely limited - spent the last 15 years focusing on British cars. So I'm unsure if it's the same dry sump. However, the location of the QP dipstick is behind the righthand side light assembly and NOT close to the engine block. I was shocked when I first learned of the location and I posted the question because I wanted to see if the dipstick tube was some odd configuration that didn't provide full access to the sump.

·
Registered
357 Posts
In a dry sump, the oil is in a remote tank and not in the oil pan. the dipstick measures the level in the tank so would not be close to the engine block. To drain all the oil, you have to drain the tank AND the crankcase. Most of the oil is in the tank. It seems to me there is no reason to go through the dipstick tube. Just evacuate through the fill cap on the tank. On my Coupe, the cap is right on top of the tank. I don't know if the Quattroporte might have some long filler neck arrangement or if there might be some baffles in the tank to block the vacuum tube.

Anyway, you will never get all the old oil out by sucking the tank dry. I don't see the point anyway. You still have to get under the car to change the filter. Get a drain pan and drain it from the 2 drain plugs like you're supposed to. Again, I'm not familiar with the Qporte but on the Coupe, the drainplugs are readily accessible.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot of people are going to disagree and cringe with horror on what I do; however, I don't change the oil filter at every oil change. The way I rationalize the procedure is that the Maserati service is approximately every 12K miles or so, which means the oil would not be renewed during that period. I use Mobil 1 and change the oil out every 5K. Oil filters are clearly rated to go at least 15K (see Mobil 1 website concerning their Mobil 1 extended oil) and the mixing the new oil with the remaining oil in the filter doesn't bother me. The filter will get changed out when it goes in for the scheduled maintenance. So although my oil change isn't perfect, it's still better than the factory specification. Also dipstick oil changes are incredibly easy - stick the evacuation tube in the dipstick, turn the pump on, come back in 10 minutes and refill. I don't know how much Maserati charges for an oil filter; however, my Aston Martin oil filter is over $125.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I was thinking of purchasing an oil evacuation unit this weekend so, it's good to know that it can be done.....but, I did have two concerns; one of which was already mentioned - not being able to get all the oil out of the tank. My other concern was that evacuation units would not be able to get all the sediments out of the system as compared to draining conventionally. Should I be concerned with this last point or, am I being anal?:confused:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My other concern was that evacuation units would not be able to get all the sediments out of the system as compared to draining conventionally. Should I be concerned with this last point or, am I being anal?:confused:
I share the same concern; however, I figure when I bring the car to Willie (noticed you are in Virginia) for service, his team will gravity drain. I do know that oil extractors are commonplace in the marine/boat industry. My primary goal is to have the oil changed in-between scheduled service visits.

Griot's Garage, which sells oil extractors has the below text posted on their web: "A Japanese magazine (Automechanic, Nov. 1997 issue) tested our Oil Extractor to see if it would be able to withdraw more oil versus draining the oil using the "drain plug" method. Great news! The Oil Extractor was able to withdraw an additional 71ml of oil on a late model Toyota. Due to the ultra tight packaging of engine compartments these days, it seems manufacturers are locating the drain plug in areas that compromise complete oil drainage."

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I'll have to check out Groit's extractor - great catalog. Thanks for the post. I haven't taken my GS into FMoW yet for service nor, had the chance to meet Willie but, I've been planning on bringing it in for an overall check-up since buying in late November. Let me know if you plan on attending one of the track events this spring at Summit Point.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Initially I was going to purchase the oil extractor at Griots; however, the tank capacity was too small. I ended up purchasing a 12 volt oil extractor off EBay, which I pump directly into a 5 gallon gasoline/petrol container and dispose of at Advance Auto Parts.

Ferrari of Washington has the most impressive inventory of cars that I've ever seen. The service area is filled wall to wall with a number of their race ready vehicles. My understanding is that they only have one client who races a QP at Summit Point. Willie suggested that I bring the DB7; however, a day at the track with the DB7 would probably result in an 8K bill. It's too tempermental and further it's a Volante (convertible). I've been very pleased with the service at FOW.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because every time the DB7 visits AM the bill is between 5-10K. I did a quick ad hoc comparison of AM service and parts costs versus Ferrari F430 costs when my QP was being serviced at FOW. In general, Ferrari service and parts costs are one-third to half less than AM. The worst part is that many of the AM parts are Jaguar parts that have been minimally modified. I call this the times four factor, i.e., the price for the part is what Jaguar charges times four. My steering rack was over 5K - it has Jaguar part tag with an AM tag right next to it.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
$8K USD - ouch! I was considering the DB7 Volante just before purchasing the GS Spyder....glad I went Maserati.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Always best to drain warm oil for the drain plugs to ensure that any stray metal particles are exited.

Not a giid idea to try to draw out the oil and as stated dry sump systems store oil in a resevoir which must be drained.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts