Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else think that the high beams are yellow and weak? Are the high beams with xenon headlamps just regular bulbs? If so, could a person just do an upgrade on the bulbs with appropriate wiring, relays and fuses? Or are they all part of the xenon? Mine look really brown compared to the low beam.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The hi beams are regular bulbs so they look lame in comparsion to HID. You could swap in a "blue" aftermarket bulb for one solution, though visibility probably won't improve (any Pep Boys, etc). Other than that, ??

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so they are regular bulbs. What I was thinking if that's the case, couldn't one use a higher wattage (and whiter) bulb with a little wiring uprade? Has anyone attempted this?

·
Registered
150 Posts
High-beam: Spyder, Coupes & GS
as of 09/06/2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Headlights / High-beam: The high-beam bulb used on our vehicles is the style: "H1-55W". The original bulb provides a yellow cast and is unsatisfactory especially compared to the High Intensity low-beam lights. I replaced the bulbs with new from Sylvania: H1 ST Silverstar which gave me a noticeable improvement. (The glass-bulb is blue, but generate a much brighter and whiter light)
Typical cost of original bulb at AutoZone and the likes are ~ $6, the Silverstar, found at Wal-Mart, was $18.72 + tax.
The job of replacement. Either buy the bulbs and let your dealer install them or:
Remove: Front wheels, Inner liner and Plastic cover over the H1-bulb. To open the cover turn counter-clockwise. Prepare a short wooden dowel for leverage (6x28x~50mm) as to help open cover. (To be inserted in the bottom of the cover) This is needed mostly on the driver side, as obstruction is significant and access difficult.
Careful remove (pull back) the wires before removing the bulb. Again on driver side this is difficult, and I ended up removing the bulb with wires, but risk is high for braking the bulb which is under pressure.
Prepare a small wooden stick or small size diameter rigid tube L~300mm for holding the new bulb(s), keep in place by a bit of tape, and re-insert the new bulb. DON'T TOUCH THE GLASS!.
The job is not at all easy, but for sure worth the time and cost!
Enjoy! Kai

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Careful remove (pull back) the wires before removing the bulb. Again on driver side this is difficult, and I ended up removing the bulb with wires, but risk is high for braking the bulb which is under pressure.
Prepare a small wooden stick or small size diameter rigid tube L~300mm for holding the new bulb(s), keep in place by a bit of tape, and re-insert the new bulb. DON'T TOUCH THE GLASS!.

First of all thank you for this simple fix. I'm not sure if i understand this section of the instructions. I understand the first stick for leverage in removal, but the second stick or rigid tube and tape I don't quite get. What am I trying to accomplish with that? Could you please explain it another way?

Thanks very much

·
Registered
793 Posts
Non-bixenon lamps are halogens that will appear yellowish next to a xenon.

They are a different wavelength.

However, Hoen makes fabulous xenon-compatible bulbs that are exceptional. I have them in two cars now including my 360 Ferrari.

You can find them at: http://www.hoen-usa.com/fog2.htm

There are HID high beam upgrade lits available but they can be pricey.

Here's another great alternative that's killer and well respected: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOSHIBA-HIR-9011-9012-BULBS-THE-BRIGHTEST-AVAILABLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ007QQitemZ170170547935QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't see either one of those offered in H1 format. Am I missing something? They do look like appealing bulbs for other applications.

·
Registered
150 Posts
xraygun, all I am trying to tell you, is NOT to touch the bulb and that you need an extension to reach the socket. when you open up the cover you will understand what I am trying to explain. best of luck. Kai

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I emailed Hoen. They didn't seem to have the H1 on the website. It appears that their product may require that wiring upgrade I previously mentioned due to higher wattage. My concern would be additional heat in these very expensive housings. Has anyone gone above 55 watts in headlamp?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow quick response from Hoen. No joy though.
"Im afraid we no longer produce the H1 fitment Ray.
Its hard to find a good H1, they have such a short life when you bump up the power for low or high beam use.

sorry about that,
Andreas"

I guess it's the PIAAs

·
Registered
793 Posts
Wow quick response from Hoen. No joy though.
"Im afraid we no longer produce the H1 fitment Ray.
Its hard to find a good H1, they have such a short life when you bump up the power for low or high beam use.

sorry about that,
Andreas"

I guess it's the PIAAs
I told you Hoen is good.

I'd give the Toshiba's a try as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts