Maserati Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a test drive on a '05 GS last weekend ... my feedback is fabulous! Its engine sound, its handling and speed and its styling. but I do have a few issues before making up my mind on this crucial purchase in my life:

1/ i'm so used to drive my 996 '02 in automatic mode w/o using the tiptronic at all, i felt that the the gear switching from 1st - 2nd - 3rd gear is not that smooth w/ the GS cambiocorsa gearbox when it's on the automatic mode, compared to the 996. if driving the GS in automatic mode, any driving tips on pushing the accelerating pedal to enhance smooth gear switching under automatic mode.
2/ if pressing the sport mode button, is it still under the automatic mode or should i switch the gear manually at the steering wheel?
3/ if pressing the automatic button, could i still shift the gear manually? if so, after switching manually, should i re-press the automatic button in order to switch back to the automatic mode?
4/ will there be any harm done on the gearbox if driving the GS with sport mode on always?
5/ i really love the GS, as it fulfills all my requirement under my budget .. 4-seater coupe, great engine sound (porsche's sound is incomparable!), and gorgeous styling. orginally, i planned to switch to a 996 turbo or a 997 CS from my 996 '02, but porsche is everywhere on the street in my city (HKG), while my wife complained there is no much difference in the outlook between a 997 and my 996. that's why i 've shifted my love to GS, however, what is really puzzling me is the depreciation of GS, i accept that its price will go down sharper compared to 997 but i'm really afraid this GS can only be sold at half of its price after 2 years. i'm really struggling now .... :(

can you dudes shed some light?
thks
DMC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dude!
back to Q.4, u mean it's ok and better to drive the GS in sport mode all the time in the long run, do i mis-understand you? what's the user benefit of sport mode driving?
for my GS prospect ('04/'05), it's asked at $0.95M with 1-year warranty, while a '05 997 is priced at $1.25M (in HK$), i foresee 997 should hold its value much better after 2 years, but GS is really an irresistible attraction! i'm struggling w/ my wife because of this depreciation issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thks for all your advice.

in hk, an used 3200 is sold pretty cheap at just hk$380-400k (USD51,xxx) for a '99 model, while a '99 porsche 996 is sold at around hk$4xxk.

i do wanna know what sort of annual maintenance should be made on GS besides engine oil change?

if i drive the GS in auto model w/ sport mode on, while i shift the gear manually on an occasional basis, would it be ok or would it do any harm to the gearbox?

thks again guy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts