Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a test drive on a '05 GS last weekend ... my feedback is fabulous! Its engine sound, its handling and speed and its styling. but I do have a few issues before making up my mind on this crucial purchase in my life:

1/ i'm so used to drive my 996 '02 in automatic mode w/o using the tiptronic at all, i felt that the the gear switching from 1st - 2nd - 3rd gear is not that smooth w/ the GS cambiocorsa gearbox when it's on the automatic mode, compared to the 996. if driving the GS in automatic mode, any driving tips on pushing the accelerating pedal to enhance smooth gear switching under automatic mode.
2/ if pressing the sport mode button, is it still under the automatic mode or should i switch the gear manually at the steering wheel?
3/ if pressing the automatic button, could i still shift the gear manually? if so, after switching manually, should i re-press the automatic button in order to switch back to the automatic mode?
4/ will there be any harm done on the gearbox if driving the GS with sport mode on always?
5/ i really love the GS, as it fulfills all my requirement under my budget .. 4-seater coupe, great engine sound (porsche's sound is incomparable!), and gorgeous styling. orginally, i planned to switch to a 996 turbo or a 997 CS from my 996 '02, but porsche is everywhere on the street in my city (HKG), while my wife complained there is no much difference in the outlook between a 997 and my 996. that's why i 've shifted my love to GS, however, what is really puzzling me is the depreciation of GS, i accept that its price will go down sharper compared to 997 but i'm really afraid this GS can only be sold at half of its price after 2 years. i'm really struggling now .... :(

can you dudes shed some light?
thks
DMC

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
hi. may be i can help with a few of your questions:
1. forget about driving the GS in the auto mode. if you want smoother gear changes, you will have to do it yourself.
2. you are still in auto with sport mode on.
3. in auto mode, you manually override for just that moment. it is still in auto.
4. from what we understand, it is better to be driving the GS in sport mode. it is more harm to drive it in auto. especially in stop and go traffic.
5. you see, in HK, Porsches are overpriced, and Aston Martin are even more overpriced. (GS = $1.3M, P=$1.5M, V8 Vantage=$2M) relatively, i believe in most of the world GS is priced higher than a base 996/997. GS is a bargain. how much are they asking for the 05 GS? how much are 05 997's?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dude!
back to Q.4, u mean it's ok and better to drive the GS in sport mode all the time in the long run, do i mis-understand you? what's the user benefit of sport mode driving?
for my GS prospect ('04/'05), it's asked at $0.95M with 1-year warranty, while a '05 997 is priced at $1.25M (in HK$), i foresee 997 should hold its value much better after 2 years, but GS is really an irresistible attraction! i'm struggling w/ my wife because of this depreciation issue.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thanks dude!
back to Q.4, u mean it's ok and better to drive the GS in sport mode all the time in the long run, do i mis-understand you? what's the user benefit of sport mode driving?
for my GS prospect ('04/'05), it's asked at $0.95M with 1-year warranty, while a '05 997 is priced at $1.25M (in HK$), i foresee 997 should hold its value much better after 2 years, but GS is really an irresistible attraction! i'm struggling w/ my wife because of this depreciation issue.
Your worries are fair. one thing is that 1 year warranty is IMO almost worthless. your depreciation after it expires will be much more that you would expect to get out of the warranty repairs.

another member in NY suggested that the market value of GS will "PLUMMET" after the GT comes out. I strongly disagree with it plummeting in NA. As for HK, I wouldn't know. May be you or vincent can shed some lights as to the Maserati owner profiles in HK.

If they are just fashion conscious, i.e. they don't want Porsches and just want something different and the latest style, i am afraid the giugiaro design will be viewed as old generation. If that is the case, these GS owners might dump theirs for the GT next year, and then supply & demand kicks in. It might be a buyers market then.

If they are more enthusiast drivers like most US owners, it might be not as bad, and just like anywhere else, they are not going to trade in their GS and pay something like 1/2 a new car to get into a GT.

Now, about 5 years ago or so, i have seen quite a few 3200's can be had cheaply. how is the general used maserati market in HK? from what i rmb in the 3200 days, it is unhealthy. how many GS were sold for 05 and 06? would you think the GS will be unloved the same way? how much would you expect services or repair going to run you after the warranty expires?

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Distinction to be made

The choice of auto or sport is not the correct comparison. While i agree that the auto mode is rough and may eat clutches, using the normal manual mode will allow u to do less harm to the clutch as well as soften the suspension and gear shifting (ie less whiplash for the passengers during gear shifts). The other way to make things less painfull for passengers is to feather the gas during the shifting, by which i mean let up on it a tad rather than having your foot mashed on the pedal. It makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The choice of auto or sport is not the correct comparison. While i agree that the auto mode is rough and may eat clutches, using the normal manual mode will allow u to do less harm to the clutch as well as soften the suspension and gear shifting (ie less whiplash for the passengers during gear shifts). The other way to make things less painfull for passengers is to feather the gas during the shifting, by which i mean let up on it a tad rather than having your foot mashed on the pedal. It makes a world of difference.
sorry man, :confused: but i completely disagree...

i have it from very very good sources (Maserati techs) that the way to minimize clutch ware is to use manual and sport mode. now i am not talking about a normal local dealer from la tech. i spoke to a senior engineer guy at a fundraiser in Italy last year and he actually told me what most of us already know.

if you want to have a slightly less crazy gear change, just lift the gas pedal for a bit as you are changing the gear. this will allow the clutch to disengage the gear and engage the new one with out having to use the clutch to massage the power delivery.

after you learn how to perfect this, the shifts are crisp and all you feel is the CC transmission working with you.:) (this will help conserve the clutch)

like i have said before, i may be mistaken and i may have to replace my clutch next week. so far, it drives and changes gear great and i am sure that most of the user here will tend to agree with me.

-willie

p.s. not to be picky , but if you want a soft ride or care about the comfort of your passengers. this car is not the correct choice, i.e. Maserati ( Lexus, Mercedes Benz maybe).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thks for all your advice.

in hk, an used 3200 is sold pretty cheap at just hk$380-400k (USD51,xxx) for a '99 model, while a '99 porsche 996 is sold at around hk$4xxk.

i do wanna know what sort of annual maintenance should be made on GS besides engine oil change?

if i drive the GS in auto model w/ sport mode on, while i shift the gear manually on an occasional basis, would it be ok or would it do any harm to the gearbox?

thks again guy

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i think you need to do an extended test drive to appreciate the gear box.

you will hate driving it in auto. period.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
we need to make bumper stickers with this picture :)

W.
If we did, how would that make all those new GranTurismo owners feel? ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts