Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see in the owner's manual that the differential gear oil should be SHELL SPIRAX S 75W140.
However, I can't find that for sale and was looking for an equivalent substitute for the rear differential gear oil. I don't think that Shell gear oil has limited slip additive but not sure about that. Since this is a limited slip differential, I assume I can just get a synthetic 75W-140 for LSD, but I'm not sure why that does not seem to be in the spec for the Shell Spirax. The other 75W-140 gear oils I see (such as Valvoline and Mobil 1) have the limited slip additive.
Any recommendations ? How much is required?

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Is there a recommended mileage interval for changing the differential oil? I didn't see one in the owner's manual.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Every 30K....These cars trash the gear oil and there is no factory interval...Jason
:oops:o_O Seriously ?! The local Ferrari-Maserati dealer said it NEVER needs replacement , and my independent shop said maybe at 50 K miles if I really want to be overly cautious, but up to about 75 -80 K miles, it should be worry-free . Have you had failures that you can attribute to old gear oil ? Just asking because if you have experienced that, I’ll have it replaced with the next service ( at what will be 50 K miles ). Cheap “insurance” I suppose, and like engine oil changes which are probably not critical until 2 x the recommended interval , given how inexpensive it is to do that , it’s a “ why not ?” scenario.

3,316 Posts
It is supposed to be lifetime fill, but it is not....I never had a failure, but your talking 2 QTs of fluid and 2 plugs here..I'm just telling you what I see and I used to rebuild diffs on cars....The oil shouldn't come looking black, but it does..We do it every 30K.. I know several other people on here have changed theirs and confirmed the fluid was trashed....Jason

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is supposed to be lifetime fill, but it is not....I never had a failure, but your talking 2 QTs of fluid and 2 plugs here..I'm just telling you what I see and I used to rebuild diffs on cars....The oil shouldn't come looking black, but it does..We do it every 30K.. I know several other people on here have changed theirs and confirmed the fluid was trashed....Jason
Hey Jason, my 09’ only has 3700 miles but 10 year old diff oil. Have you seen a time interval that you would recommend in addition to your 30k interval? Also, my is a F1 car so the diff/transaxle might be the same fluid in same housing? Thanks

3,316 Posts
F1 car is gonna be a different deal and doesn't trash the oil like the automatics..If you have a '09 with 3700 miles then I recommend you drive it...Cars that sit a lot leak from everywhere...Just wrote a 3k$ estimate on XK8....All for leaks....Jason

·
Registered
725 Posts
Let my BMW M6, when i had it, sit for 18 months once. Worst move ever!!! Cost me just over 7k, all for leaking, main seal, valve covers, rear seal, oil pan, tranny gasket, timing cover gasket...freaking everything sprung a leak . :cry:
Like 'J' said, "drive it!"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Let my BMW M6, when i had it, sit for 18 months once. Worst move ever!!! Cost me just over 7k, all for leaking, main seal, valve covers, rear seal, oil pan, tranny gasket, timing cover gasket...freaking everything sprung a leak . :cry:
That was one concern I had when I bought the car 3 months ago... it only had had 3k miles. I’ve driven it 700 miles since then. No leaks yet, just some mouse turds and a nest in the engine compartment. I changed the oil and cut open the filter...it had a 09’ date on it!

·
Registered
542 Posts
the gear oil is black by 12k miles. whether it is still viable, likely. but i have replaced 2 diffs due to noise. diffs never serviced by ~50k.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That was one concern I had when I bought the car 3 months ago... it only had had 3k miles. I’ve driven it 700 miles since then. No leaks yet, just some mouse turds and a nest in the engine compartment. I changed the oil and cut open the filter...it had a 09’ date on it!
View attachment 128690 View attachment 128691
yeah, put some miles on this baby, that's what it really wants! (y) Nice cutting tool.

·
Registered
201 Posts
View attachment 128690 View attachment 128691
I see a Maserati Beer Cooler in the works with that oil can!

3,316 Posts
What about oil change on The automatik gearbox, how often is it needed? Does The oil get worn out like the differential?
The automatic gearbox doesn't trash fluid, but I would probably service it at 70-80K miles...Note it is a recommended lifelong fill as well...Jason

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
It won’t make any difference to either differential or transmission , but I’ve also left a couple of cars ( both were Porsches ) in the garage for a year or more without driving them.. however, always, always, always, started them up and ran the engine at least once a month for about 5 to 10 minutes, while also turning on the AC and the heater functions , etc. for a few minutes to make sure everything gets lubed properly . I never had a problem with any seals leaking whatsoever on those cars . If you have a car that’s in storage , I highly recommend letting it idle for a minimum of five minutes, monthly . And if possible , drive it around once every cpuole lf months, even if it’s just around the block . Just my $ 0.02 ..

·
Registered
725 Posts
It won’t make any difference to either differential or transmission , but I’ve also left a couple of cars ( both were Porsches ) in the garage for a year or more without driving them.. however, always, always, always, started them up and ran the engine at least once a month for about 5 to 10 minutes, while also turning on the AC and the heater functions , etc. for a few minutes to make sure everything gets lubed properly . I never had a problem with any seals leaking whatsoever on those cars . If you have a car that’s in storage , I highly recommend letting it idle for a minimum of five minutes, monthly . And if possible , drive it around once every cpuole lf months, even if it’s just around the block . Just my $ 0.02 ..
Was a bonehead move on my part...I had just gotten the F355 back fresh from a 'engine out' service and was having a ton of fun driving the crap out of that thing every day! I never really bothered with the M6. (first world problems, right lol)

M6 repair bill.jpg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts