Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an interesting except describing how the GS gets the extra 10 HP.... I wonder if we can get the GS gearbox programming in the CC. I don't think the gear ratios can be changed though....

To herd eleven more ponies into the 4.2-liter V-8's stable, Maserati's R&D head, Roberto Corradi, tightened critical manufacturing tolerances, reshaped intake runners and exhaust-valve seats for better flow, and added a computer-controlled muffler bypass to boost output above 4000 rpm. The Cambiocorsa gearbox is the only transmission offered; its software has been rewritten to shave the gearchange time by 35 percent, and its sixth-gear ratio is four percent taller to exploit the GranSport's newfound power and reduced drag.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
The GS also includes ugly side skirts and less attractive wheels, in my opinion. I would love a GS without those side skirts and with the 7 spoke wheels from the Coupe...

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Also, tell me why Maserati can't offer the gearbox software as a Coupe upgrade option? Would cost them nothing...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had my Dealer look into getting my 04CC the GS Shifting software. They spent like 2 weeks looking into it and said it could not be done.

Oh well, no cool blips on downshift for me (untill I get the Gallardo) :-(

-dsd

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
leadfoot_mf said:
so only the gs blips on the down shifts or do all the cc's do it?
They all blip on the down shift to keep the clutch from frying. The reason the GS firmware doesn't work is because of the taller 6th gear. It could bog the coupe/spyder down because of the 10 less HP (yeah right!). From what I've been able to tell, the two transmissions are identical except for the taller 6th. That includes the microprocessor. It's really MNA that has decided not to cross the line between GS and non-GS models to preserve the GS premimum. Not unusual. To retrofit a non-GS with near GS performance would blur the value of the GS. Honestly, exhaust mods and air filters will put the non-GS models in line with the 400 HP numbers of the GS. The whole intake runners and valve seats smoke screen is rubbish (IMHO). 10 HP is a no brainer. Kevin at MVP will be able to top that big time soon. I'm looking forward to see the dyno numbers on the intake, headers and exhaust package of MVP (maybe chip upgrade?). The GS gives you surfboards and "Push To Start". Sorry if I'm stepping on the toes of GS fans. A major Supra nut that I used to race in my Viper at Ennis in Texas got me interested in the Maser and I've been hooked ever since. Supra and Viper fans idolize the Maserati. That may tell you something...... Buzz

·
Registered
286 Posts
nope no six speed gs. buzz i like the gs and feel the extras the gs provide are worth the price. but yes the coupe is a bargin for what u get. when i am ready to buy in a year i will buy what ever i can get for around 50k but if the gs drop to 60-65k i will go that route.

also buzz are u able to sleep at night with the delivery of car so close.:D

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
leadfoot_mf said:
nope no six speed gs. buzz i like the gs and feel the extras the gs provide are worth the price. but yes the coupe is a bargin for what u get. when i am ready to buy in a year i will buy what ever i can get for around 50k but if the gs drop to 60-65k i will go that route.

also buzz are u able to sleep at night with the delivery of car so close.:D
LOL!!!! NO! Every time I log onto Maserati of Minneapolis and see the $sold sign on my car I get CRAZY! Jennifer and I are going up on Saturday but I still have to wait for the transport back to Texas. Scott assured me that it'll ship shortly after our visit... The visit will only make this worse once I see her in person (I keep pretending the 540i has has paddles as it shifts smoothly through its gears. I think I blinded oncoming traffic "down shifting" with my high beams LOL!)

Don't get me wrong about the GS. That car is the first Maser I saw and is still my favorite. I think the vintage package 05 or 06 is as close as you can get for the $. Actually, ALL masers rock! Thanks for the interest!

·
Registered
191 Posts
dsd said:
I had my Dealer look into getting my 04CC the GS Shifting software. They spent like 2 weeks looking into it and said it could not be done.

Oh well, no cool blips on downshift for me (untill I get the Gallardo) :-(

-dsd
I thought all cambiocorsas blip on downshift. My '03 CC does. Of course, its not every downshift, depending on throttle/speed/rpm. But if I do it while applying throttle, it always blips.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Exterior difference

1. wheels
2. side skirts
3. the front end? is it lower or just does it just have a different grill? Anyone ever find a way to put that grill on a regular coupe or sypder????? is it the same size grill?

4. the rear the same but the GS has the mesh grill?

anyone sell the rear mesh grill? go to the dealership?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
LOL!!!! NO! Every time I log onto Maserati of Minneapolis and see the $sold sign on my car I get CRAZY! Jennifer and I are going up on Saturday but I still have to wait for the transport back to Texas. Scott assured me that it'll ship shortly after our visit... The visit will only make this worse once I see her in person (I keep pretending the 540i has has paddles as it shifts smoothly through its gears. I think I blinded oncoming traffic "down shifting" with my high beams LOL!)

Don't get me wrong about the GS. That car is the first Maser I saw and is still my favorite. I think the vintage package 05 or 06 is as close as you can get for the $. Actually, ALL masers rock! Thanks for the interest!

HAHA!

I am doing that too hahaha!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
240 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
They are the SAME grills on the 05 and 06 vintage package. Check it... http://photos.ebizautos.com/5814/1298752_13.jpg and http://photos.ebizautos.com/5814/1298752_17.jpg.

Es me caro ;)

nice!

1. will those grills fit on a reg sypder? (will they even fit)
2. will the rear grills fir a reg sypder as well?
3. can one get the Vintage package with a 6 speed manaul (3 peddles)

I could find the mas I am looking for (would prefer vintage package but if not I would love for those grills)

(I am learning! )

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alex said:
nice!

1. will those grills fit on a reg sypder? (will they even fit)
2. will the rear grills fir a reg sypder as well?
3. can one get the Vintage package with a 6 speed manaul (3 peddles)

I could find the mas I am looking for (would prefer vintage package but if not I would love for those grills)

(I am learning! )
Alex,

I'm still not an expert but I believe starting in 2005 the coupe, spyder and Gransport all share the same larger front and rear grills. The GS has front and side ground effects as well as a spoiler on the trunk lid. I believe the rear effects are the same on all models (05-06). The vintage package shares the chrome wire mesh with the GS while the non-vintage versions are blacked-out with horizontal trim in the grill. I believe this to be true. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Personally, I think the larger grills on the newer cars look GREAT! I also believe that Maserati blurred the style line between the Vintage and the GS with the side surfboards being the primary clue to their difference (at least from a distance). I think to get the new larger grills on a pre-05 car would take a major frontend rebuild.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts