Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

Just a question. My Spyder CC 2004 was not driven for 2 weeks.
Last Sunday (great weather) wanted to take it for a drive.
Turned ignition key. Normal lights show on the screen, no malfunctions. But motor did not turn for about a second or two, then started very smooth.
I had a similar episode few months ago under similar circumstances.
Is it normal?

Thanks to all, Michael

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, it's normal. I have the same car as a daily driver and mine does this intermittently. According to the manual, there may be occasional delays while the computer "clears" the car for ignition (i.e., shifts to Neutral). I just keep the key turned until it cranks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2006 Quattroporte does this every time, from cold or warm. I actually have it at the dealer for a warranty repair and mentioned this as well, I'll post back if there was something they found wrong.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The car will start faster if you shift into neutral before cranking...

·
Registered
134 Posts

I actually took the time to read owner manual on this for my Quattroporte and it says to turn key to on position, shift to neutral, then turn key to start. It also says to turn off anything that draws power such as a\c and radio. Normally, I'll put key to on position, then put on my seatbelt, then start engine. The 2-3 seconds it takes to put on my seatbelt lets the startup diagnostics run through and fuel motor pumping. One thing I can say is that the time of actual turning of engine was maybe 3 seconds. I just added Tubi to mine and listened to examples of Tubi and Larini exhausts on YOU TUBE to decide before purchasing. I noticed that the cars in these videos started much faster. After installing Tubi, there was no change to startup time. I just got my car back today after changing plugs and made a world of difference! Eventhough my car is a 2006 QP with 20k miles, the change in plugs made the car come to life. It's like I got another car today and it starts up instantly. I used Denso Iridium plugs for change. I also want to add that I added a DBW module from Formula Dynamics last week, which is wonderful.

Anyway, maybe the best advice I can offer is to listen to video clips of startups on YOU TUBE, and compare their startup time to yours. Also, when my 360 sits for a couple of weeks, it takes a lot longer to start and sometimes I even have to start it twice because it won't stay running more than a few seconds the first time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, pardon my ignorance, but how do you shift into neutral when the car is off? I have the duoselect transmission and I always out it in neutral (pull both paddles) before I turn it off - is that enough or do I have to do it again before I start?

·
Registered
134 Posts

According to manual of my 360 and QP, you always leave car in gear before turning it off. If you put it in neutral and then turn the car off, you can hear the noise of the car shifting into gear. Likewise, if you don't put car in neutral before starting, it shifts car in neutral while engine is starting. I didn't realize until I tried it, but the car will shift in and out of gear even though engine is not running.
This is how it works in both of my cars and your might be a little different, though I wouldn't expect. I always used to shift to neutral before shutting off car when I first got car and was surprised to read otherwise in owners manual. My best advice is to take a quick look at startup procedure in your owners manual.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Correct procedure for start up

Open door and hear the reassuring hum of the F1 pump priming.

Insert ignition key and turn to MAR position and then wait for the lights to light up on dash.

SAY A PRAYER (VERY IMPORTANT).

Place right foot on the brake pedal.

Turn key to start!

Check rear view mirror to make sure you look good.

wait a few minutes to warm up engine and away you go.

·
Registered
228 Posts
One more thing......

I do everything "007" does with the addition that I start the car in NEUTRAL (after having left it in NEUTRAL at engine shutdown. While I've never actually read what the manual says about putting the car in NEUTRAL at engine shutdown and/or startup, my dealer told me to do it that way. I'm going to check with my FM Certified Independent Mechanic to see what the Maserati Factory says to so. I'll report back what he (Eddie Rodriguez) tells me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Near Garage Queen...........

Lionel:

You have to understand, my car is getting close to being a garage queen. That's not the way I planned it, and I know......., these cars should be driven and ENJOYED. Believe me, I do enjoy the car, but in order to get at it in the garage, I have to move my C-5 Corvette out of the way. Usually, I opt to take my Caddy SUV or the Corvette instead, and the Maser sits. To fully answer your question, "No", I NEVER park on an incline. Actually, I almost never leave sight of the car even if it's in a parking lot (waaaay away from other cars).
Question -- Do you leave your Maser in gear when you park it in your driveway or garage, or in Neutral?? Still will check with my Indie Tech.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Question -- Do you leave your Maser in gear when you park it in your driveway or garage, or in Neutral??
I always park in gear. I pull up, set the parking brake, turn off the ignition. Around here, there are some hills where I definitely would never want to park in Neutral.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
OFFICIAL START/STOP HOW-TO (at least for my GS):

STOP Park the car in 1st gear only! If you park it in neutral, the car beeps!!! (the manufacturer knows the hand brake doesn't work, their response was: its made to be driven, we don't care about the hand brake).

START Turn the ignition, wait for lights to go off and at the same time put the car in neutral. Then hit the "START" button. This method is the optimal way to start the car, no delay, instant start.

BUT

You may also start it while its in 1st gear, which adds a few seconds DELAY, which is normal. If you don't want the delay, then start the car in neutral.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just to reinforce the message here - if I park my Gransport in 1st on a moderate incline it does NOT stay in place. It very very slowly creeps down the slope (if you stick around for a few minutes you will notice).
My 02 CC also used to move downhill if parked without brake in reverse and second gears, but tended to stay put in first.
I have therefore not even tried parking the GS in those gears.
I leave it in first plus pull the handbrake(parking brake) on and that does the trick - must say the 07 GS handbrake is much improved over the 02 model year (thank goodness, otherwise I would need to put wedges under the wheels!)

·
Registered
130 Posts
if I park my Gransport in 1st on a moderate incline it does NOT stay in place. It very very slowly creeps down the slope (if you stick around for a few minutes you will notice).
My 02 CC also used to move downhill if parked without brake in reverse and second gears, but tended to stay put in first.
I find that very surprising. You mean it actually turns the engine and scoots downhill? Or is the clutch slipping? If it's spinning the engine, it's probably a good idea to use first or reverse depending on whether you're facing uphill or downhill, so you don't crank it backwards.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Both cars I have had have been able to crank the engine around!
The GS has polished interior to the engine as part of tuning process and can crank it even more easily - at least that is my guess.
The coupe handbook stated only to park in first gear on inclines.
Just checked the GS book and it says:
"engage handbrake, engage 1st, turn wheels, .. on sharp incline wedge wheels"
... would suggest you cannot expect just 1st gear or just handbrake to stop it moving!

Lionel - just noticed your location, plenty of opportunities to test this behaviour! I thought my 02 was sitting still in reverse and later in 2nd gear (slight slope) but when I returned to it after a couple of hours I realised it was moving! Forunately avoided hitting anything.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Why? I've always thought you're supposed to park in gear unless you need to roll the car or something.
Which is why I said I always WOULD shut off my car in neutral. I eventually read instruction manual and saw that it said to leave car in gear and have done so since. Something I don't know if people realize is that if you don't shift your car to neutral before turning on engine, the car shifts automatically into neutral as you are turning on engine. Also, if you shut off car in neutral, it automatically shifts into gear. Don't think so, try it. Turn off car in neutral then the next time you get in car, turn key to ON\ACCESSORY position and you will see car is in gear prior to moving key to START ENGINE position. Essentially you can't get procedure wrong as car does the correct shifts for you during starting and parking. The only thing I wonder is if there is any damage or wear that can come from letting the car do things automatically. For instance, if you don't put car in neutral before starting, other than the extra second during startup does it put extra strain or wear on any part?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Below excerpt: GREAT advice, been following this credo ever since I read it and now no more delays and holding the dang key in place, thank you!

"turn key to on position, shift to neutral, then turn key to start. It also says to turn off anything that draws power such as a\c and radio. Normally, I'll put key to on position, then put on my seatbelt, then start engine. "

I actually took the time to read owner manual on this for my Quattroporte and it says to turn key to on position, shift to neutral, then turn key to start. It also says to turn off anything that draws power such as a\c and radio. Normally, I'll put key to on position, then put on my seatbelt, then start engine. The 2-3 seconds it takes to put on my seatbelt lets the startup diagnostics run through and fuel motor pumping. One thing I can say is that the time of actual turning of engine was maybe 3 seconds. I just added Tubi to mine and listened to examples of Tubi and Larini exhausts on YOU TUBE to decide before purchasing. I noticed that the cars in these videos started much faster. After installing Tubi, there was no change to startup time. I just got my car back today after changing plugs and made a world of difference! Eventhough my car is a 2006 QP with 20k miles, the change in plugs made the car come to life. It's like I got another car today and it starts up instantly. I used Denso Iridium plugs for change. I also want to add that I added a DBW module from Formula Dynamics last week, which is wonderful.

Anyway, maybe the best advice I can offer is to listen to video clips of startups on YOU TUBE, and compare their startup time to yours. Also, when my 360 sits for a couple of weeks, it takes a lot longer to start and sometimes I even have to start it twice because it won't stay running more than a few seconds the first time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts