Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gransports 06 and seem to have this problem of delay in enganging into 1st gear from neutral. Might take a good 2 to 4 secs before the gears would engage. Does anyone seem to have the same problem? Is this normal or I need to get some parts changed?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have the same situation when, for instance, I have shifted into neutral coming to a stoplight/sign. If the car is not completely stopped, say rolling very, very slowly, it will not engage 1st gear from neutral for a few seconds. I'm guessing that some type of built in feature prevents going into gear in that situation. Hope that helped you.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd hate to be late for work stuck behind you at

every stop light. I can't see how that would be normal or the intent of the software. 4 seconds is a long time to engage into gear. My 02 Spyder takes 1 second at most .

·
Registered
228 Posts
Clarification, please --

Demoe, are you saying that in the scenario I presented that your '02 slips into gear from neutral within one second? If so, I may need to hear from others here, or contact the dealership. BTW, my car is a '03 coupe.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If you are completely stopped it should engage immediately, but if the car is still rolling in Neutral (I think below 5 mph) then 1st gear will only engage if you step on the brake.

·
Registered
513 Posts
to clarify

I typically will be in 1st gear when at a Stop light, so the timing of the engagement is not an issue, however, if I had dropped the car in N to avoid some downshifts and end up at a RED and then put into 1st, the car does so very quickly, no delays like the OP mentioned

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have not experienced such delays in engaging gear - except on very rare occasions when the cambiocorsa system tries to engage first and gives up after a few retries (it then selects second gear instead). This is normal - but as I say, very rare (and always from a stand-still in neutral).

·
Registered
513 Posts
well said, better than I

I have not experienced such delays in engaging gear - except on very rare occasions when the cambiocorsa system tries to engage first and gives up after a few retries (it then selects second gear instead). This is normal - but as I say, very rare (and always from a stand-still in neutral).
This is my experience as well

·
Registered
141 Posts
Eugene, 4 seconds is excessive, 2 is acceptable. There are a lot of variables involved here,car should not be moving, brake switch has to be pressed(pedal),shift input has to be precise (not just tapping the paddle), age of pump/relay (mileage of the car can be a good indicator), age of the clutch assy and release bearing (they could possibly be sticking when trying to move),age/condition of F1 fluid or the system could need to be bled, clutch P.I.S. (engagement setup in TCU), you get the picture.
As far as a direct comparison of another car, they all have unique scenarios, factoring in age,mileage,driving enviorment,driving styles etc.
Plus each 4200 year and model have there own TCU software, an 02 spyder is not the same as an 04 spy etc. etc..
None the less if this is your ONLY issue w/ the F1 system, consider yourself lucky. There is no real alarm here. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the inputs. I am certainly enjoying my ride. I just brought it to the dealers and found out that the issue is probably due to clutch wear and will need a new clutch. Unfortunately they will need at least 2 weeks to have it brought in. Sigh......

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
It's not gonna be cheap mate
be ready.
Just cost me ~ $4K at 12K miles on an '06 GS. Have to say that it's hard to swallow when my BMW 540i has over 120K miles on it and I'm still on the original clutch. My 6-series had over 200K miles on it and the clutch was still original! And in both cases, I use them to commute about 70 miles a day in DC traffic!

Which makes me think....is the Maser's clutch material inferior to the BMW's or is our clutch engagement software set up too tentatively (i.e. not aggressive enough) and causing massive wear characteristics? Or....is my left foot just an amazing apparatus on my manual tranny beemer?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just cost me ~ $4K at 12K miles on an '06 GS. Have to say that it's hard to swallow when my BMW 540i has over 120K miles on it and I'm still on the original clutch. My 6-series had over 200K miles on it and the clutch was still original! And in both cases, I use them to commute about 70 miles a day in DC traffic!

Which makes me think....is the Maser's clutch material inferior to the BMW's or is our clutch engagement software set up too tentatively (i.e. not aggressive enough) and causing massive wear characteristics? Or....is my left foot just an amazing apparatus on my manual tranny beemer?
It is my guess the computer that controls the left foot is superior to the computer that controls the cc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts