Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
It's been a little over 3 years and here I am at full circle. 3 Years ago I posted a message asking whether I should buy the GS or an Aston Martin Vantage V8. Long story short, I decided to go with the Vantage. 3 years later, a TT, E46 M3, RS4, SLK55AMG, I now have an 08 M3 as a daily driver and replaced the V8 with an 09 LP640. The M3 is just not cutting it as a daily driver, I need something with a little more passion and exclusivity. I've currently narrowed it down to the GT-S, 4.7L V8 Vantage, and the R8? Because it's a daily driver I want something with amenities, bluetooth, nav, cup holders, sporty but with enough comfort for a daily commute. I have not had a chance to drive the GT-S or R8 yet, due to weather. I know that I my responses may/will be biased but I valued all of your input last time and so I am asking for it again.

Best,
Hil

·
Registered
112 Posts
By default I bet a lot of guys on here will tell you the GT-S, although personally I would go for the Aston Martin! Amenity wise, I think that's your best bet in terms of what you're looking for. If you want looks the R8 is built for that, although those that reallllly know cars will appreciate the GT-S the most!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hi Everyone,
It's been a little over 3 years and here I am at full circle. 3 Years ago I posted a message asking whether I should buy the GS or an Aston Martin Vantage V8. Long story short, I decided to go with the Vantage. 3 years later, a TT, E46 M3, RS4, SLK55AMG, I now have an 08 M3 as a daily driver and replaced the V8 with an 09 LP640. The M3 is just not cutting it as a daily driver, I need something with a little more passion and exclusivity. I've currently narrowed it down to the GT-S, 4.7L V8 Vantage, and the R8? Because it's a daily driver I want something with amenities, bluetooth, nav, cup holders, sporty but with enough comfort for a daily commute. I have not had a chance to drive the GT-S or R8 yet, due to weather. I know that I my responses may/will be biased but I valued all of your input last time and so I am asking for it again.

Best,
Hil
among the 3 cars you have listed, i would say GT-S. the R8 is too close to your LP640 so there is really not much point. unless you really had lots of fun with the V8 Vantage, i would not go for a second one.

why not a GT-R for a daily driver? may be not as exclusive.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
+1 for M!

I don't understand the interest in the Aston if you've already had one and were thrilled by it. Again, a biased opinion, but I think you get all the luxury plus incredible exclusivity and +++ styling by going with the Maser GT-S.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
A daily driver with the toys? The R8 may have more "toys" per se. However, it looks horrible but if you can live with that, probably easiest to drive/enjoy though limited to 2 seats.

FYI, I test drove an R8 and wasn't impressed with the transmission.

If you want 4 usable seats, get the GT S ;)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
No brainer, GT-S.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I went and looked at the R8 in person and it is a pretty nice looking car (even the missus, who didn't like it in pictures had to admit that in the flesh it is good looking). I don't feel it is the same as my LP640, as most reviews complain that if it has a flaw, it is because it is too civil. Something you could never say about the Murcielago.

I drove the GT-S as well on Saturday and fell in love with both the engine note and the power. One of my concerns about the GT-S is the size, it is larger then both other cars. Since it is my everyday driver and 95% of the time I won't be using the 2 extra seats I am not sure that I want to drive a car around that can accommodate 2 more people "just in case". Another thing I noticed on multiple occasions during the test drive was how the transmission did not downshift as expected when in automatic mode, even while in sport. I would floor it and it would stay in the current gear and slowly accelerate instead of dropping down a gear or 2 since the pedal was fully depressed. Having driven a few cars with hydraulic clutches (single and dual) I expected it to behave the same.

I loved my Vantage but always felt it was a little underpowered. The exterior design was beautiful and the interior as bespoke and intimate as I designed it. The upgrade in power and the availability of the hydraulic clutch is why it is once again in the list of cars I am considering. I thought about the GT-R, a lot. The missus always argues that she doesn't care how fast it is or how it drives, its still a Nissan at the end of the day, and I never have a good enough arguemnt after that statement. It also is ugly. I'm sorry, I want to love it, hell I'll even go for like, but I can't. It's just too plain Jane. (Apologies if anyone has a gf or wife named Jane. No offense intended) I want it all in a daily driver, performance, exclusivity, sexiness, comfort, reliability. Its not too much to ask for if you are willing to pay for it. Inexpensive was not on that list above. I even considered a Bently but after driving it, I felt it was also too big to drive around day to day. I'm 38 not 48, I still need something lithe and a cockpit that is intimate.

At this point I think I am leaning towardsd the R8 or possibly the R8 V10. I will inquire with the dealers in regards to taking orders for the V10,or if I can get the current R8 for under MSRP I will do that and trade it in once the V10 is available. Thanks again and I will keep you all up to date.

Hil

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I know it is personal taste but I cannot for one moment fathom how you would even think of getting an Audi over a Maserati or an Aston. If it was me I would buy a 2007 or 8 DB9 with Sports Package in a heartbeat over the Audi! I have owned two DB9's and it does not get much better than that-also a great car for everyday driving and the best gearbox in the business! Again, my opinion only!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The missus always argues that she doesn't care how fast it is or how it drives, its still a Nissan at the end of the day, and I never have a good enough arguemnt after that statement.
Change the word "Nissan" to "Audi"...;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Again thanks to all of your feedback. Looks wise the R8 destroys the GT-R. Performance wise the GT-R destroys almost everything in this price range (the ZR-1 is the only real contender and I will never buy another Chevy product again). I know the Audi name does not have the same panache as Aston Martin, or Maserati. But you can't deny Audi's Lemans wins or their history with rallies either. I've decided to go with the R8. Although the check has not been sent to any of the dealers, I am pretty positive this will be my final decision. Thanks again to all who replied and who knows, I may yet join your ranks, the wifes car is up for replacement soon. I am trying to talk her into the Quattroporte GT-S! :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
R8?

A daily driver with the toys? The R8 may have more "toys" per se. However, it looks horrible but if you can live with that, probably easiest to drive/enjoy though limited to 2 seats.

FYI, I test drove an R8 and wasn't impressed with the transmission.

If you want 4 usable seats, get the GT S ;)
I would go for the ld640 and i don't care about the toys at all, it might be just me but the presentation of the LP640 on Top Gear was just very impressive.
The R8 looks fantastic and i'm sure it can do the job as far as toys and amenities if that's what you want, I agree with BF on this issue.
LP640 on the other hand it's an engineering achievment and the jet fighter looks is just overwelming.;)
Why look for toys when the lambo it's just that if not more.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would go for the ld640 and i don't care about the toys at all, it might be just me but the presentation of the LP640 on Top Gear was just very impressive.
The R8 looks fantastic and i'm sure it can do the job as far as toys and amenities if that's what you want, I agree with BF on this issue.
LP640 on the other hand it's an engineering achievment and the jet fighter looks is just overwelming.;)
Why look for toys when the lambo it's just that if not more.
I think he said he has the LP640 already, but wants a more satisfying daily driver. He is going with the R8....... not a bad choice at all in my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I currently own a 2009 LP640. I am serious and I am excited. Brilliant Red with Carbon Sigma side blades. It was a tough decision, but again for my purposes as I weighed each automobile out the R8 came out ahead by a very small margin. I'm fickle, who knows what I will be driving in a few months (most likely the LP640 since it will be warmer out) but I am happy with my decision. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes I currently own a 2009 LP640. I am serious and I am excited. Brilliant Red with Carbon Sigma side blades. It was a tough decision, but again for my purposes as I weighed each automobile out the R8 came out ahead by a very small margin. I'm fickle, who knows what I will be driving in a few months (most likely the LP640 since it will be warmer out) but I am happy with my decision. Thanks again everyone!
Not so fast buddy!!!!! Pics of the LP640......... Pretty please. :cool:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
... I thought about the GT-R, a lot. The missus always argues that she doesn't care how fast it is or how it drives, its still a Nissan at the end of the day, and I never have a good enough arguemnt after that statement. It also is ugly. I'm sorry, I want to love it, hell I'll even go for like, but I can't. It's just too plain Jane. ...

Hil
i find it amusing that for someone who owns a few exotics will require the approval of the missus in owning a fabulous car like the NISSAN GT-R.

if you don't like it and find it ugly that is already a good enough reason not to buy one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
M! LOL I don't require her approval but I do value her advice. Are you married? If so do you dismiss your wife or consider her opinions on financial matters? She doesn't work, not at all, she's one of those wives that takes care of me and our house, and our dogs. She does the shopping and even asked me to cancel the house cleaning service because she would rather do a better job her self. I spoil her because she deserves it, and when spoil myself she understands and never gives me a hard time. It didn't take her to really convince me that although the Nissan GT-R is great value for your dollar (probably the best) that doesn't always mean it matters that much to me or others when shopping for a new car. Hell I am taking a 25K loss on an M3 I bought in Sept because I don't really like it. Not because it doesn't drive well, it does. I just dont' feel excited by it when I drive it, and I drive it almost every day. So I want something that stirs something inside me when I start it up and drive off.

As someone else has said the ZR-1 is also a great car but due to GM fighting me tooth and nail when I tried to lemon law a POS Z06 I will never buy GM again. They would rather pay a lawyer in an Armani suit and alienate a buyer for life (who since he was a kid loved Chevy and the Corvette), then replace the car. I could also buy a WRX spend 50K on it and have that run circles around 95% of the cars out there as well but it will still be a Subaru WRX. That's not the point. Regardless its an argument that happens on every forum, again I fully understood that opinions would differ and even be biased. If I stated the same exact question on R8Talk I would have received different responses :) Such is life. Again I want to thank you for all of your feedback and I do appreciate the Maserati marque and the cars, especially the GT-S and the MC12.

Here are some pics of Elpie (what my wife likes to call her)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
+1.

or change the word to "VW".
Really? Is my Lambo a VW too? or is it an Audi? Is your Maserati (do you own one?) a Fiat? Are you even serious with that comment? Go take a ride in a LP640 if you can find one and tell me if it feels you are in any VW, Audi, or any other car. Make sure you look at all the hand stitched leather, and in my case the QCitura stitching on the seats and headliners. Anyone who wants to judge a car by their parent company has some studying to do. In the current economy you will find that a lot of car brands will share parts with their sister companies, even Lambo/Audi. But the LP640 still stands on its own and it has the price tag to show it. I visited the Lamborghini factory, the Murcielago's were being built in a small corner of the factory, by hand, moved around by hand. 100 feet away was the production line for the LP560-4 what a difference. So think about it. Is the R8 really a VW? Different factory, hand built engine, hand assembled. I am not berating you but want to point out to you that you should really consider what you are saying when yo post a comment for everyone to read.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts