Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Now before I get slammed for adding yet ANOTHER thread for iPods here, trust me I have been through them all....plus other sites trying to get an answer to the following question:

Which iPod system when installed on an 2005 QP will give not only direct iPod input but ALSO allow for control from the NIT unit? By which I mean see the songs and select playlists etc from the screen using the usual controls....

I have had the car for the past two weeks plus, been finding as many tunnels or car parks as I can just to wind down the window to hear the music from up front....but now is time to actually put the other things in place - is it possible??

I am waiting on the DBW and NAVTV systems on order and being shipped, now how can I get the iPod installed without going through the complete screen overlay like others? Yes, I know I could do a parrot install, but had one before and sorry I just don't like the little knob thingy on the dash...also the audio is not the best.

I have had a Dension before in previous BMW, like the system but their install charts only show the basic model to work...and this I assume will not give the ability to control from head unit or steering controls.

One last issue is that I am in Singapore, so, suffer a little from lack of good shops to take the car to that have the knowledge of not only the cars but also how to perhaps modify the equipment being installed to work properly. I have a great shop that worked on my Porsche but that system not being integrated so much to the car was a simple compared to this..

if I could lean on you for all for how you have done it? If so, what/how etc would be perfect...or...if this is simply not possible then equally thankful.

I guess just throwing it out there...would the NAVTV AV package finish this job off?

Anyway, thanks in advance...and thanks also for great forum that steered me clear of a few 'dodgy' QP's!!

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Hello All,

Now before I get slammed for adding yet ANOTHER thread for iPods here, trust me I have been through them all....plus other sites trying to get an answer to the following question:

Which iPod system when installed on an 2005 QP will give not only direct iPod input but ALSO allow for control from the NIT unit? By which I mean see the songs and select playlists etc from the screen using the usual controls....
I think there's a very good reason why you've not seen an answer within the other threads.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The factory stereo does not not control the iPod or have a module or upgrade to enable iPod control as far as I know. You can't replace the factory unit easily as it is well integrated into other systems, so you need a 2nd head unit. So far the best way to do that has been the overlay so the other head unit looks like it's factory.

Or...live with not being able to control the iPod from the factory stereo and control another way and simply input the audio. I suggest the simple $99 ebay cable that goes in place of the CD stacker, and just control from the actual iPod. I have not found anyone to beat the interface for an iPod than using the actual iPod itself anyway.

My 2c, and yeah this is all easily found with a quick search, so I don't think you will get many responses here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, i just wanted to check to be sure that my fact finding was right.

Is no major drama, just a thing of getting used to controlling from the iPod.

I will probably go with the Dension system as this is easily picked up here and at least can give the agent stress if things go wrong...

Anyway, thanks to you both..........away we go!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
The Nav-TV part is going to you an a/v input accessed through the tv button. It's doesn't allow controlling the ipod through the radio.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Further to this, I gave one of my local Dension agents a call - Just to book in and get the basic thing installed. To my surprise he said that there is a new unit out that Dension claim WILL operate with the QP stock head unit AND enable text PLUS control from standard buttons!!!!

Gave him a fair grilling on the topic and he seemed fairly confident that it would work, obviously through the CD but told him to check through the night (Europe time compared to Asian time zone).

Hopefully have answers tomorrow, BUT, one of the points I ensured he answered was that this WAS NOT some screen layover and another head unit placed elsewhere AND that it was not the NAV TV AV system which as n2euro points out....does not take input controls from the HU.

Will post when I have answers on this but not dancing a jig just yet!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Oh, MNA, do you not read this forum? Look at what your customers demand. Why, why, do you continue to put such total sh&t in your beautiful cars? It truly is mind boggling.

·
Registered
271 Posts
As I've said before whoever comes up with a Blutooth (or any) solution to transfer iPod screen universally to auto Nav screens will have a winner on their hands. Many cars are in need of this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All,

Well, the guy has finally come clean.....NO is the answer!

SO, afraid all is as it was - can go back to sleeping soundly now.

Going to have either a Dension or a n other system install when all the other goodies arrive next week.

Just throwing this one out there though, has anyone thought of installing a single DIN unit in the place of the CD changer? Plug the iPod into this and then have a remote unit outside to display and control from there? Sound to route through the normal amp (or install a processor to deal with it).....this might be a 'half way house' between the non-display and the full blown touch screen install???

Topic for thought?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am trying to replace the head unit by splitting a DD unit leaving the screen in the dash and then putting the rest of the unit in the arm rest just like the original setup. It was mentioned that the stock system is integrated I was just thinking it was just displays for these other features. Example air conditioning shows on the screen but the actual controls are by dials. So my question is can we replace the stock unit without really effecting any of the other functions outside the stereo?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Barry....your looking to replace in a Coupe right? Above is referring to a QP...

BUT, i have seen on the other threads how they have achieved this - probably best to check on the forums for your car.

Hope it works out fella!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK...here is the update.

Yes...I have the NavTv installed...does what it says on the tin, installed no problem and all working fine and clear - much better clearer than I thought (read no need to shout so the other party can hear you).

Installing a Dension unit shortly so that the iPod situation is settled.

I considered adding a single din unit to the relay up to another display for iPod control once I took out the CD changer but then thought - get a life..ahahaha...dension is fine.

Got Formula Dynamics on the way and then that should be that.

Next thing to get the brain cells going is how to Retro fit a nav system, as Asian cars are supplied without all the equipment am thinking if possible at all.....

thanks for all the posts but it is what it is...just plug in and play...then bury the foot into the carpet!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bugger...the plot thickens!!

Just removed CD changer to plug in the dension unit but find that the cable from the changer does not go into a big blue plug connection from head unit, it is wired DIRECT to the head unit...plugging in using a very small black plug - think called micro or mini ISO connector.

Any ideas?

I think now I am looking at having to find either a different Dension unit OR a cable that will go from the Dension to the Head Unit?

Anyone faced this problem before?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mate - I hate to say it but in my opinion, your best bet is to give in and burn some CD's from iTunes. Flame me if you will, but I went through all this on my QP with no success either. I tried the eBay cable unsuccessfully too.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm sorry, but this is insane. I appreciate the desire to compensate for this crap system, but it hardly seems worth it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
in my opinion, your best bet is to give in and burn some CD's from iTunes. Flame me if you will, but I went through all this on my QP with no success either. I tried the eBay cable unsuccessfully too.
I read all the threads related to using an iPhone/iPod in a QP and especially in a 07 QP, and it seems that nothing works well (cables, etc...), especially if one wants to be able to use the CD changer at the same time and also is not a mechanic (therefore cannot install anything in the car on his own).

I mentioned it a few months ago but the authorized FM dealer said that they could install a special bluetooth kit in any Maserati (even an 07) and have it play songs from an iPhone/iPod (even the latest iPhone). About $800.

I guess that may be the ultimate solution. I will inquire again as I would love to use my new iPhone in the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, with some fairly exhaustive google searches i may have a solution!

I have the wiring and pin configuration for the connections in the Head Unit, also, am now finalising the pin connections for the Dension unit - should have by the end of today an adapter made up to enable the two to talk to each other!

Therefore, will mean the Dension unit will work and operate from the older HU's. As for the control and what i get out of it remains to be seen - BUT - all things being equal and if the full control is able then it will be the usual Playlists, Songs, Albums etc being controlled from the HU controls.....not steering controls apart from song up/down and volume up/down.

If this comes off then i will post photo's and diagrams etc.

As for the adaptor, this would by all accounts be a very cheap thing...plus the basic knowledge of soldering and fiddling.....

Fingers Crossed!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Parrot MKi9100

Hi all

I've been reading some of this thread. (not all items so sorry if I've missed any vital information), however I've just installed a parrot MKi9100 system and it integrates quite nicely with the existing system in my 2007 QP. I can operate my parrot system from my existing steering wheel controls. As yet I've not bother to install the parrot contoller (wheel). Sound is very good from either playing via bluetooth or via the iphone connector from my iphone 4S.

Hope this is useful.
M

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
The Parrot is a slick system. I'd looked at it initially but learned that it powers the system with its own amplifiers (has that changed?). The advantage of the eBay cable and Xcarlink is that they allow the original amps to remain in power.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts