Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some input.

Last week I called the Audi dealer and put a deposit on an R8. I've seen a couple, including one when I was in looking for a replacement for my wife's current Audi (lease until next year, but I need my jollies.) Here's all the data, and the problem:
- I'm not getting rid of my GS because I love it
- I put 5K down on the R8, no big deal (maybe December delivery)
- I figure I can flip the car if I want, even drive it for a couple of months and still break even, so not much risk there
- My wife (who does not know of this escapade) told me last nite that she saw an R8 when taking her car in for service, and how fantastic it was. I asked her if she would drive one (!!) and she said, wow, yeah, but it's alot of money, etc etc
- The contenders for her replacement (we have no kids and do have a 'station' car) are: Jag XF (possible spiritual favorite as her father had a Jag and would have to be supercharged for me), Audi 6 or 8 series, likely an S of either, or a Quattroporte (prob slightly used 07 or 08 Sport GT).

The only people who know about this are Ramp and my business partner.

I'm not in the least bit risk averse, but I usually don't buy/put deposits on cars on a whim. So:
- I'm sure I can get out of the deposit if I want to, but don't know if I want to
- Can I flip this car if I want, or might the dealer have right of refusal?
- I don't want a GT at this stage (I've been promising myself my next car would be a 575, but the R8 is likely a real thrill)
- I only have 2 garage spaces
- Anyone have advice?

Thanks in advance!:confused:

·
Registered
237 Posts
She spontaneously told you she thought the R8 was fantastic....I'd go with that. I can't imagine you can lose on any front, especially as you already have another more practical car for backup. Ithas been getting rave reviews even by the crabby TopGear folks.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ok, I need some input.

- Can I flip this car if I want, or might the dealer have right of refusal?
- Anyone have advice?
It sounds like you want the car. I would not count on flipping any vehicle in the current climate for good value, and if you are leasing rather than buying it's worse! Ask the guys who paid $100K-$200K over sticker for a 599!

I'd be very careful with this new Jag. It's unproven, it's a new owner, and who knows what will happen! It has very complex electronics which could be a nightmare.

I was at our local Aston dealer today and saw a beautiful deep blue XF with tan interior. It's very enticing, but with the state of the auto business today I am being very, very careful.

If you can get your deposit back I'd go that route.

I'd also step away from this a bit to think clearly.

Don't make any rash decisions.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Desert European here in the desert has been buying them from private parties and putting a sticker of 199k on them. They've sold. I don't know who would pay that for the car, it's beautiful and all, but that much more? I'm sure they aren't getting quite that but still. I think you could flip that particular car and make a little if you don't like it, but not big dollars.

·
Registered
325 Posts
After 4 Audis Purchased Mainly Because Of Their Great Warranty And Low Key Status, I Wouldn' Take Another One Even For Free.junk!!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I do need to step back, and there's a lot of time to do that. I don't care about making a killing, or anything at all for that matter - but I don't want 4 cars and if she doesn't want a 2-seater then I will have to get rid or the car or get out of the deal....

I liked Bigfoot's review and I know the R8 would not make me as happy as that my GS does. If they get sticky about my deposit I imagine I can apply it to another Audi (JACIRO's experience notwithstanding) using the potentially unreliable Jag routine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had put a deposit on an R8 way back in 2006. My allocation came thru in Dec 2007. In the meantime I had made up my mind on the Granturismo so I went with that. So had to let the R8 go. The dealers do have first right of refusal but they flip them on for a premium of $30-40K ($#%&s). When I refused my allocation, my dealer was ecstatic so getting your deposit back wont be a problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
to get your deposit back is not a big deal. the dealer will find another buyer for the car at a higher price i am sure.

i feel it is a safe buy regardless if you dont keep it. you can flip it and at worse case break even.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd be real careful with how long you keep it, if you plan on flipping. Time it wrong and you can end up taking a bath. Remember how hot the Z06 was when it came out? Now you can get new ones for $10K off of MSRP.

Eric

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This all rings true. If I keep it, it won't be for long, certainly not long enough for much depreciation to scrub off. It also occurred to me that I may be able to apply the deposit to the V12 diesel version. I'll have a heart-to-heart with the dealer when back in the States next week.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'd be real careful with how long you keep it, if you plan on flipping. Time it wrong and you can end up taking a bath. Remember how hot the Z06 was when it came out? Now you can get new ones for $10K off of MSRP.

Eric
i agree. they got the V10 and the turbo diesel in line. the 'regular' V8 will be yesterday's news. not sure how much flipping you will be getting out of it.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
677 Posts
IMHO, Peter, you should get the R8. If for no other reason than I'm sure I'll be able to convince you to let me take her out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i agree. they got the V10 and the turbo diesel in line. the 'regular' V8 will be yesterday's news. not sure how much flipping you will be getting out of it.
Concur. Let's see how it plays out with the dealer.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The diesel? Is diesel sold at the pump in the US?? :confused:
It is sold at the pump, but not at every station. You have to hunt for it.
It used to be cheaper than gas, but has been creeping up over the past few years.

I think it is now at the point where it is no longer cheaper in terms of Miles Per Dollar to run diesel.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
IMHO, Peter, you should get the R8. If for no other reason than I'm sure I'll be able to convince you to let me take her out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
Yeah and we can hit the Russian nightclubs in Brooklyn...but where would wives fit?;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts