Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.

I was at a funeral and a man I know approached my father and I and started to talk about cars. He has a 1985 blueish silver Biturbo S (5 speed). My dad and I went to look at it and it's been sitting in the elements for the past 2-3 years (registration ran out early 05). There doesn't seem to be any rust on it but the paint is severely faded the interior looks immaculate until you open the doors and take a closer look, there obviously have been mice inhabiting the poor car and have torn up a bit of the carpet and behind the dash. There are only 12,xxx miles on the car. It has 2 (or 3) piece 15" or 16" Gotti rims that are gold centered and would need a little bit of TLC. We got inside the car and couldn't figure out how to open the hood (all I could find was the choke). There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info I could Google about this exact model (the owner claimed it was a 1985 Biturbo S) but it has the functional hood scoops and appears to be very low to the ground (maybe aftermarket suspension). I'll post pics next time i head over to take a look at it for more advice from you.

Next thing, how much of a bear are these to work on? I currently own a 1990 325i and it's not the most miserable thing to work on, but it sure as hell isn't as simple as a SBC that's for sure. I did see that the timing belts need to be changed every 40,000 or 60,000 miles for this car. Is there anything else I should check for next time I go check out the car (once i figure out how to get the hood open)?

owner told me/us to make him an offer.
any feedback is appreciated.

brent.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hello all.

I was at a funeral and a man I know approached my father and I and started to talk about cars. He has a 1985 blueish silver Biturbo S (5 speed). My dad and I went to look at it and it's been sitting in the elements for the past 2-3 years (registration ran out early 05). There doesn't seem to be any rust on it but the paint is severely faded the interior looks immaculate until you open the doors and take a closer look, there obviously have been mice inhabiting the poor car and have torn up a bit of the carpet and behind the dash. There are only 12,xxx miles on the car. It has 2 (or 3) piece 15" or 16" Gotti rims that are gold centered and would need a little bit of TLC. We got inside the car and couldn't figure out how to open the hood (all I could find was the choke). There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info I could Google about this exact model (the owner claimed it was a 1985 Biturbo S) but it has the functional hood scoops and appears to be very low to the ground (maybe aftermarket suspension). I'll post pics next time i head over to take a look at it for more advice from you.

Next thing, how much of a bear are these to work on? I currently own a 1990 325i and it's not the most miserable thing to work on, but it sure as hell isn't as simple as a SBC that's for sure. I did see that the timing belts need to be changed every 40,000 or 60,000 miles for this car. Is there anything else I should check for next time I go check out the car (once i figure out how to get the hood open)?

owner told me/us to make him an offer.
any feedback is appreciated.

brent.
Further along the on the left (same side as the choke) is a lever you have to pull to release the front hood. (it is dark in color, and may match the color of the carpet - so you may want to kneel next to the driver seat and actually look to find it) once you know where it is located, its easy to find in the future.

Once the hood is unlatched, it will not just swing up. There is another secondary release just above the grill (under the hood.)
You will have to look under the hood to see it. It runs horizonal to the grill - looks like a long thick rod. PUSH this rod toward the center of the car to unlatch the hood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Further along the on the left (same side as the choke) is a lever you have to pull to release the front hood. (it is dark in color, and may match the color of the carpet - so you may want to kneel next to the driver seat and actually look to find it) once you know where it is located, its easy to find in the future.

Once the hood is unlatched, it will not just swing up. There is another secondary release just above the grill (under the hood.)
You will have to look under the hood to see it. It runs horizonal to the grill - looks like a long thick rod. PUSH this rod toward the center of the car to unlatch the hood.
thank you sir.

I'll be going to take another look at it soon hopefully and i shall return with pictures.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Thus far I have seen many older Maserati's which have low mileage and seem to be quite affordable in price. Heck I might have to get one!

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts