Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating on buying a Quattroporte or a Mercedes G55.

Cannot decide for the life of me. On one hand, the G55 has a "go anywhere" ability...literally. But the Quattroporte has style and elegance(just something about that car), where the G55 has a "dont piss me off" attitude.

I live in Florida, so I dont need to deal with snow, but I do deal with occasional flooding durning hurricane season. Having kids soon, if that matter ha.

Also, with the Formula Dynamics upgrades(ECU, DBW and Larini exhaust) do you guys think its possible to get under 5.0 0-60? The G55 i can upgrade to 600hp which should be well under 4.7ish 0-60 , but cant turn :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Full disclosure - this is not an impartial crowd.

Having said that, despite that fact the cars are entirely incomparable, I would say that if what you want is luxurious performance, measured in 0-60, you may want to just go for a Cayenne Turbo. At least it'll go round corners.

The G55 in my mind was something I couldn't live with. I drove one about 3 yrs ago at the local MB dealer and as a 6'4" guy, I couldn't imagine a car that huge with such little space inside. Big tires and a big motor don't make a good driving experience, and the ride comfort was abysmal.

The QP however is a great driving experience, excellent performance and for a large car it has astonishing handling.

So a luxurious truck with a massive engine, incredible straight-line performance vs a luxurious sedan with a Ferrari engine, excellent performance straight and curves, along with head-turning looks.

No comparison in my mind

·
Registered
695 Posts
Princemarko:

Since you live in a state that has what - three curves? - I would suggest the G-wagen. It has the proper imposing attitude when mixing it with the retired crowd, it wows the nouveau rich, and the AMG powerplant gives it the grunt to get out of town like a RockStar evading the paparazzi. The Maser QP, OTOH, is an more of an executive sedan with understated style and poise. The Ferrari power delivery befits a Grand Touring sedan that won't embarrass itself on a track day.

Since there seems to be some confusion - much like an election day - as to the character and mission of your choices, let me help: :)

Shop Comparisons of executive sedans:
Maser QP
Audi A8
BMW 7 Series
MB S550

Shop Comparisons of higher end SUVs:
MB G-Wagen
BMW X6
Range Rover HSE
Cadillac Escalade
Hummer H2

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know its an impossible comparison, but those are the last two choices I have come to.

I've already compared the SUV's and the G55 was the only one i'd live with. When it came to the Maserati, it blew away any other cars I would have thought of buying. The CLS55 amg is a nice car... but it doesnt have that pizzazz the Maserati has.

The clutch issue is annoying for the Quattroporte, but the G55 has the aerodynamics of a washine machine and doesnt have that luxury look like the quattroporte. Prices are pretty much even, but I like the interior of the quattroporte more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Princemarko:

Since you live in a state that has what - three curves? - I would suggest the G-wagen. It has the proper imposing attitude when mixing it with the retired crowd, it wows the nouveau rich, and the AMG powerplant gives it the grunt to get out of town like a RockStar evading the paparazzi. The Maser QP, OTOH, is an more of an executive sedan with understated style and poise. The Ferrari power delivery befits a Grand Touring sedan that won't embarrass itself on a track day.

Since there seems to be some confusion - much like an election day - as to the character and mission of your choices, let me help: :)

Shop Comparisons of executive sedans:
Maser QP
Audi A8
BMW 7 Series
MB S550

Shop Comparisons of higher end SUVs:
MB G-Wagen
BMW X6
Range Rover HSE
Cadillac Escalade
Hummer H2
If I could get the Maserati up to near 500 hp, it would be a no brainer. I'm worried about ECU tuning and voiding warranties also.

Ahh, screw it. I'll buy the G55 and then I'll see if i can snag up a Gransport in the high 40's low 50's a few months later. My wife will kill me, but who cares... its a maserati right?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I know its an impossible comparison, but those are the last two choices I have come to.

I've already compared the SUV's and the G55 was the only one i'd live with. When it came to the Maserati, it blew away any other cars I would have thought of buying. The CLS55 amg is a nice car... but it doesnt have that pizzazz the Maserati has.

The clutch issue is annoying for the Quattroporte, but the G55 has the aerodynamics of a washine machine and doesnt have that luxury look like the quattroporte. Prices are pretty much even, but I like the interior of the quattroporte more.
Funny that. A neighbor had a CLS55 and G55 (in black). The CLS was traded in on a QP Automatica (in black, of course) which the wife drives (and as far as I know - happier)

Ahh, screw it. I'll buy the G55 and then I'll see if i can snag up a Gransport in the high 40's low 50's a few months later.
Wait, you are in the Sunshine State - sounds like Spyder material to me. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Maserati QP is a handbuilt Italian exotic of which less than 2000 enter the US per year. It has a very classy slightly understated luxury on outside with the performance of a trackable car underneath.

The Mercedes G55 is an ugly mass produced car that I originally thought was an old 70's model until I started seeing them in rap videos. If you want to drive something that looks like that, find a refrigerator box and turn it into a G-wagon like we used to when we were 5. The G55 might have a fast 0-60, but after that novelty wears off, you need a car you will really enjoy driving. I have a F360 which has a fast 0-60, and I can say you don't use the full accelleration that often. Don't get me wrong, I still like to take off fast, but the difference in the normal driving you will be doing 95% of the time, that 1 sec 0-60 difference will not be very noticeable. Even in that 5% driving where you are flooring it, 1 sec is a small difference. Also keep in mind that the QP might even be faster when passing, such as from 40-100mph!

I personally love the exclusivity of the QP and know there is only 1 or 2 more in town. I actually had the manager of my local Circuit City walk up to me out of the blue 3 hours ago and say " What do you do and how can I do it!" It's a line from a movie but I actually had an audience of like 4 salesmen and manager listening to my every word of how I built up my business enough to have this car at 30. This definintely doesn't happen often with QP, but was kinda funny. I was actually in a bad mood after a long day, but this little episode turned it around and made my day b\c the manager said he was putting off finishing RE school and said I motivated him to start back up right away.

Bottom line, do you want a Rolex (QP), or do you want a Movado with a diamond bezel (G55)? Whatever you do, do it soon. The month of November was the worst month in car sales since early 80's, and dealers are getting desperate to sell. If you don't mind it, you can get some crazy deals for a 1 or 2 year pre-owned car still under warranty. On QP and G55, the biggest difference b\w 06,07, and 08 is the 7th digit of VIN.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Mercedes sells only 1000-2000 G500's in the US per year and only 300 G55 per year which are hand-built in Austria. But the rappers buying them lately does make me standoffish about them, sorry for the political incorrectness.

But you are right, the Quattroporte has that Rolex feel to it, the G55 has more of a hardcore military feel.

Do you guys also have to change the clutch on the QP every 8-10k? Would the Drive by Wire from Formula Dynamics help with the wear and tear on it?

Also, there is a german tuner I recently ran across on this forum that claims to get the QP up to 520 hp...520!!! If what they claim is true.... I would be sold in a heartbeat. I'm just worried about boosting that engine to that high of horsepower and damaging the rest of the car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Maybe I was a little too hard on G55. What I said was halfway said jokingly. I was just trying to make the overall point I think you picked up on. I just think the G55, even though a very powerful and well made car, it doesn't have the exclusivity and luxurious feel of a Maserati. I do agree that it might be as rare as QP, especially with AMG tuning, but it doesn't have that wow factor for the average public that doesn't know anything about AMG. Also, don't get so stuck on 0-60 accelleration, as it is only 1 of thousands of measurements of a car. Although the G55 might be SLIGHTLY faster off the line, I'm confident on a racetrack the QP would get a faster lap time. Imagine your cruising down the freeway pretty quick and come up to a sharp turn. With the QP you will be able to zip quickly around that turn a lot faster than the G55, and then you will be sold on QP. This is why I recommend that you try to rent both cars for a day or two.

Going back to the watch analogy, consider which you would want. One watch has a great movement, crystal, dial, bezel, and a second hand with a sapphire. The second watch has an inferior movement, inferior crystal, inferior dial, yet has a second hand with a diamond on it.

Point is that you need to think of what your ownership goals are. If you want a fast car to drive around town like you're a wheel man for a bank robber, than the QP is your car. If you drive within speed limits and only see car a mainly transportation from A to B, but want to have the occassional race at a red light, the G55. If you want a car that's exclusive and says you made it, either one can be argued for, but I think the QP is a winner by a mile. I'm not really biased, as I never considered owning a Maserati until 18 hours before I bought mine after a drive in my friends QP.

My clutch currently has 21k miles on it and has no signs of slipping, although I started a thread to try to get used clutch parts and have them rebuilt in Kevlar for a fraction of price of OEM clutch and lasts longer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
To address your question of a 500+ hp QP. Here is a link to an article about a model called Scuderati XL. A shop in Europe commission a well know tuner company to do a project on an 04 QP. After bolting on an ASA Supercharger, the car has 545hp and a 0-60 time 1 second faster. The ASA supercharger is a lower boost everday use supercharged that is used on the BMW supercharged 7series ALPINA S7. I don't know status of this project, but have seen it come up often. Also Novitec has some Maserati upgrades for QP, but no Supercharger yet, eventhough they do have kits for the Ferrari with same engine block.

http://www.t-t-p.de/T/maseratiquattroporte_quick.pdf

·
Registered
183 Posts
Isn't the G55 limited to 130mph for safety reasons? Isn't the design about 30 years old? Mercedes stopped selling them in the UK about 20 years ago which should tell you a lot.

You mention 0-60 as very important, I think 0-100mph is more telling and with the aerodynamics of a brick wall the G55 may suffer heavily once the speed gets up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
To compare a QP to a G55 is like comparing Charlize Theron to Joan Rivers, one is very elegant, youthful and gets admiring looks wherever she goes, the other has been round the block so many times and been pumped up with lord know what that it is a bit of a joke - you pays your money you takes your choice!

The G55 is not IMO a serious ownership proposition, it is literally like driving a truck. The technology and hardware in them is incredibly crude (they were originally designed for military use) and having a huge engine in it will actually make it a much hairier ride. It is also incredibly expensive to maintain as parts are not particularly plentiful and it has not been made in any serious numbers for decades. The QP on the other hand is a bang up to date piece of precision engineering that has been designed to operate on roads, not fields. It also comes with an Auto transmission if you are that worried about frying the clutch of the automated manual doing 0-60 burn outs, but then if that's your thing I suspect neither car is really ideal, something like a TVR would blow both clear away on that front.

Me, I'll stick with Chalize every morning thanks very much!

·
Registered
402 Posts
If youre looking for HP, the G or the QP is not the answer, youre looking at the wrong cars period.

I drove every SUV out there before buying my Range Rover, the G was the WORST SUV of them all, it drove worse then a truck. I think it has 2x4s for shocks.

Also considering I own a Range Sport, a CLS, and a GT-S, the Maserati is in another league. The CLS and Range come NO WHERE close to the enjoyment I got out of my GT-S in the few short days I got to drive it, before putting it in storage this winter.

my .02 ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If youre looking for HP, the G or the QP is not the answer, youre looking at the wrong cars period.

I drove every SUV out there before buying my Range Rover, the G was the WORST SUV of them all, it drove worse then a truck. I think it has 2x4s for shocks.

Also considering I own a Range Sport, a CLS, and a GT-S, the Maserati is in another league. The CLS and Range come NO WHERE close to the enjoyment I got out of my GT-S in the few short days I got to drive it, before putting it in storage this winter.

my .02 ;)
You are 100% right.

So this is what I did: I went to the Mercedes dealership and decided to get the G55, because of the utility factor(kids coming, dog) and the fact i like the way the G55 looks.

he he..... but in thinking about the QP, I was looking for a car to do both daily driving lugging things around and be able to show off at a red light or windy road, SO..... I said "f** it" and went to the newly opened Ferrari of Tampa Bay and inquired about a Maserati GranSport MC Victory, I want it in the Maserati traditional blue.

I've decided instead of buying one car new for $120,000+, why not get the G55 used and take that money and get a Maserati GranSport to drive on the weekends? Makes sense right?

BTW, my wife is totally pissed off and I can care less(I got her a handbag to ease the pain, it doesnt work). I used the fact that we're having girl is stressing me out and need a relief in the Maserati and the G55 for safety.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in with their opinions. The deciding factor was practicality on these "under construction" streets, the QP's potential clutch replacement and the depreciation factor.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You are 100% right.

So this is what I did: I went to the Mercedes dealership and decided to get the G55, because of the utility factor(kids coming, dog) and the fact i like the way the G55 looks.

he he..... but in thinking about the QP, I was looking for a car to do both daily driving lugging things around and be able to show off at a red light or windy road, SO..... I said "f** it" and went to the newly opened Ferrari of Tampa Bay and inquired about a Maserati GranSport MC Victory, I want it in the Maserati traditional blue.

I've decided instead of buying one car new for $120,000+, why not get the G55 used and take that money and get a Maserati GranSport to drive on the weekends? Makes sense right?

BTW, my wife is totally pissed off and I can care less(I got her a handbag to ease the pain, it doesnt work). I used the fact that we're having girl is stressing me out and need a relief in the Maserati and the G55 for safety.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in with their opinions. The deciding factor was practicality on these "under construction" streets, the QP's potential clutch replacement and the depreciation factor.
You do know that the Gransport has the same gearbox as the QP? There maybe very minor technical differences but in essence its the same item.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts