Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Said they used to use the Italian oil"Agipe" I think, now use what Ferrari uses is the SHell; of course its usually who ever is sponsoring, etc. They then told me they used to use Mobil 1 which I like; any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Mobil 1 0-40W European full synthetic or Silkolene.

Ed.. tell him about Silkolene..

·
Registered
86 Posts
IMO all fully synthetic lubricants of the same specs (for ex 5W-40) from the "elite" of the petroleum companies, such as BP, Mobil, Shell, Castrol, Motul, Silcolene, Aral etc will do a perfect job!
Agip is the traditional Italian oil company which Maserati, Ferrari etc used to use.
New commercial and financial aggrements brought Shell in FIAT's shoes. This does not mean that you can use only Shell lubricants.
IMO if you want to be extra sure about the condition of your lubricant, change it every 6000 miles. In this case nothing can go wrong.
I used BP 5W-40, Shell Helix Ultra, and recently the ultra expensive Motul-Racing all 5W-40 fully synthetic.
I change them every 6-7000 miles and cars runs pretty smoothly. No major differences between them.
BR
Panos

·
Registered
660 Posts
Mobil 1 0-40W European full synthetic or Silkolene.

Ed.. tell him about Silkolene..
Of the oils outta there in Europe (and I assume Fuchs products are also available in the US) the Silkolene Pro S and MOTUL 300v are top choices for fully-synthetic oils. However, the Silkolene is reckoned to give a better cold-start performance than the MOTUL, and to be a better product for year-round use.

The Italian AGIP full-synthetic is also a very good oil, however not as developed as the Fuchs products. Now, it is also fair to say that I know some ppl have had problems with using other brands than AGIP... mostly oil-filters clogging. The claim is that AGIP has bundled specific additives/detergents in its full-synthetic lineup which have been specifically developed for our engines. Then, I don't know what the heck they had been using. If I have to make a bet on the basis of the oils used by some main dealers here... it would be Mobil 1, but I can hardly believe the Mobil 1 would lead to issues, so really don't know.

HTH

·
Registered
660 Posts
IMO all fully synthetic lubricants of the same specs (for ex 5W-40) from the "elite" of the petroleum companies, such as BP, Mobil, Shell, Castrol, Motul, Silcolene, Aral etc will do a perfect job!
Sorry to disagree. There are differences in the quality of fully-synthetic oils outta there... you could argue those differences don't matter (are not relevant) within the tolerances/typical usage of our engines, but no doubt there are differences (which, depending on use, could become significant).

Agip is the traditional Italian oil company which Maserati, Ferrari etc used to use.
Not AGIP, but Selenia...

New commercial and financial aggrements brought Shell in FIAT's shoes. This does not mean that you can use only Shell lubricants.
... or at least into Ferrari's hands... FIAT still recommends Selenia for their FIAT-branded lineup (unless that has changed in recent years...)

IMO if you want to be extra sure about the condition of your lubricant, change it every 6000 miles. In this case nothing can go wrong.
I used BP 5W-40, Shell Helix Ultra, and recently the ultra expensive Motul-Racing all 5W-40 fully synthetic.
I change them every 6-7000 miles and cars runs pretty smoothly. No major differences between them.
BR
Panos
Very true. Proper maintenance is key...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not AGIP, but Selenia...
... or at least into Ferrari's hands... FIAT still recommends Selenia for their FIAT-branded lineup (unless that has changed in recent years...)
TRUE, TRUE,:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Shell Helix 5/40

Shell Helix 5/40 is sold as Quaker State European 5/40 in the states. It is the only Ferrari/Maserati NA(North America) approved oil sold and distributed in the U.S. It is also way cheaper then the other PAO synthetics which have little or no liability to the north american consumer. Since Red Line 5/40 is manufactured in the U.S, it would be an excellent choice as well.

DrEvil
"Wishin for the Dino"

·
Registered
357 Posts
Can you point to a source that confirms Quaker State Euro 5/40 is actually Shell Helix 5/40. I'm not calling you a liar but it's just a "trust but verify" thing. Maybe it's just the whole Quaker State reputation from back in the day that makes me want confirmation.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quaker State website has a Scuderia graphic "Recommended by Ferrari"
This graphic is under "Q high horsepower" Yet, I don't see a 5/40 wt.
Unfortunately, their tech spec sheet for this category is "under construction/coming soon"

2nd Edit:
Q-Horsepower is available in 10w-30, 5w-50, 5w-30, and 5w-20. Grades of 5w-40 and 10w-60 are available through Ferrari and Maserati dealers in the States.

3rd Edit:
"About Quaker State:
Quaker State is among the industry's most innovative motor oil brands and offers a full line of products to meet every type of vehicle engine need. Quaker State is the first motor oil brand to create a synthetic blend of motor oil, one of the first brands to develop High Mileage Engine motor oil, and the only brand to market its motor oil product in a clear bottle. For more information about Q products, please visit www.QPower.com.

Quaker State brand products are manufactured by Shell Lubricants. The term 'Shell Lubricants' collectively refers to the companies of the Shell Group engaged in the lubricants business. Shell lubricants companies are global leaders in lubricants and operate in approximately 120 countries worldwide. They manufacture and blend products for use in a range of applications from consumer motoring to food processing and heavy industry to commercial transport. The Shell portfolio of top quality lubricant brands includes Pennzoil(R), Quaker State(R), FormulaShell(R), Shell Tellus(R), Shell Cassida(R), Shell ROTELLA(R) T, Shell Spirax(R) and a portfolio of car care products and Jiffy Lube(R) services."

·
Registered
250 Posts
Aston Martin recommends 5W40, but by Castrol. Mobil 1 sells a 5W40, which they advertise as a diesel turbo truck formula. I emailed Mobil and they said that I can ignore the "diesel" because there is nothing different about the oil for a diesel v. gasoline. Castrol is extremely popular with the British cars; however, I've used Mobil 1 exclusively ever since Castrol changed their full synthetic formula, which is now based on modified fossil oil molecule. Somewhere on the Jag-lovers.org site there is a white paper on all of the oils. I recall Amsoil was the top rated with Mobil 1 a very close second. However, Amsoil is extremely expensive and difficult to source. Regardless, even the lowest rated synthetic is an improvement over standard fossil oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts