Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
does the mc12 qualify for show and display?
show and display is considered street legal?

·
Registered
191 Posts
MC12 does qualify for show/display. AFAIK, no one refers to show/display as "street legal".

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have done a lot of research on legalization and importation...all it takes is the right amount of money in the right places to get a car that is not technically street legal titled...I had done the research of legalizing a Ferrari 360 challenge for road use...it is very possible in almost every state except california so as long as she got a title before heading to CA it would be a legal automobile to drive

·
Registered
133 Posts
I dunno - the car is certainly pictured with a license plate frame. I wouldn't trust that ad too much though, as the grammar and spelling is certainly sloppy, which doesn't boast too well for a dealership wanting to move a $ 1,4 Million car. I know this is purely judgmental, but things like that would worry me.

Anyway the MC12 is NOT street legal in the US. For someone to go through and make it so is not only expensive, but also very time consuming and does require a lot of assistance from the factory with data and test reports unobtainable for you and me, let alone reproduceable. Another thing which would worry me with the ad!

The MC12 is certified for show/display which does allow a certain number of miles on public roads a year in the US, which might explain the low milage. For anyone to claim the car is street legal having a show/display DOT designation would be borderline fraudulent, which wouldn't surprise me with some dealers out there at all.

Anyway, anyone checking into that further at this time? Just curious what the story behind the car and seller is.

:cool:

·
Registered
530 Posts
curious pricing too... they want WAY too much for that 355 Spyder and seems way too little for that QP.

I thought the MC12 was street legal and the Corse was track only? I know there's an MC12 @ FMSV.. I've seen it in the shop. I suppose you could flatbed it there and back.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I am surprised Maserati would permit anyone to advertise the car this way, unless it is legit.

Show and Display only gives you DOT approval.

You still need EPA approval and despite claims of enough money being about to take care of anything, you need to find an EPA ICI willing to take on the job and to bring the car into EPA compliance.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The MC12 is street legal if you import it correctly. I met a guy who drives it on the street. And there are videos of somebody driving it on the street in the snow and rain. Just like the Enzo, I was at the dealership when somebody picked up one and drove it home!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The MC12 is street legal if you import it correctly. I met a guy who drives it on the street. And there are videos of somebody driving it on the street in the snow and rain. Just like the Enzo, I was at the dealership when somebody picked up one and drove it home!
See above, it has to be taken through EPA approval by an ICI. There is no guarantee that this is possible, though someone may have done it already.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
from what i understand the enzo is street legal.

as for dude driving the mc12 in snow and rain, wasnt the bloke in UK?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Show/display and street legal are two different things. The show/display can be driven on the public road for show/display purposes. seeing it on the road doesn't mean it is street legal. In fact you can drive that thing for 2.5K miles a year as long as you are "show & displaying".

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have seen an MC12 on the street before. It was at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel (in Beverly Hills) and was there for a night (when I saw it, it had it's top down and doors unlocked....). Also, there was one at the 1199 CHP Run in Calabasas. I know it was like a show, but it has been spotted on the street multiple times

·
Registered
793 Posts
I had a customer with an MC-12 for whom we did a special set of floor mats. As a matter of fact he sold the car w/in the past year to another CA buyer. It has CA plates on it.

His car was legal, and I know of at least two more in the area that are.

·
Registered
744 Posts
There is one in Calgary too but the Canadian regs may be less restrictive (hard to think that could possibly be the case though...)

·
Registered
340 Posts
There is one in Calgary too but the Canadian regs may be less restrictive (hard to think that could possibly be the case though...)
I was told that the MC12 that visited Calgary and Vancouver was actually a US car that was here for a "visit"

·
Registered
744 Posts
I was told that the MC12 that visited Calgary and Vancouver was actually a US car that was here for a "visit"
I can definitely say that is not the case. The car has Alberta plates and the owner is a regular at the ZR Auto events - he lives in Calgary and I see the car around town all the time.

BTW: It has been extensively modded by ZR - check it out (still not even remotely as loud as my Spyder though!)

http://www.zrauto.ca/mc12.htm

1 - 20 of 27 Posts