Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2010 QP in for a 50,000 mile service. The dealer replaced the 2 rear tires and suggested an alignment. After the alignment, the car pulls to the right on flat road at interstate speeds..3 seconds and you have changed lanes.
The car drove fine before the new rear tires and alignment.
Took it back to the dealer 3-4 days later. They adjusted the alignment again, no change, still pulls right. They say the alignment is within specs on the alignment machine but after an interstate test drive and back on the machine, the alignment is out again. Do I need to conclude the dealer doesn't know what they are doing and go somewhere else?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maserati dealerships nowadays are laughing jokes. My suggestion to you is. Ask those people in your local Cars and Coffee shows. Ask those who drives Ferrari where they take their cars for alignment. More often than not, they will share with you a reputable shop other than dealership that does the job well.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte 4 Evolutione V8 silver/black advanced engine management 415 HP
40 Posts
Can you send the measuring protocol ?

Don’t know what they are doing wrong, it’s on the newer QP5 no rocket science.
The older ones with the shims are more challenging.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Are the tires on correctly? If they put one inside out/ outside in tread wise, it would align on a rack just fine but the car would drive really weird

·
Super Moderator
4,414 Posts
They should be able to give you a print as well to confirm it's in spec.

C

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car drove fine before the 2 new rear tires and alignment. I have no doubt it's in spec. So maybe its the 2 new rear tires? I will ask them to mount 2 other rear wheels and tires from another car and see what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte 4 Evolutione V8 silver/black advanced engine management 415 HP
40 Posts
But in your first post , you said they told you that the car was out of specs after the test ride .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is correct. I have no doubt the alignment is in spec when they take it off the machine. They say...after the test drive it is back out of spec. I assume they mean when they put it back on the alignment machine.

4,548 Posts
You can have a car that is alignment, but pulls to a side because of a bad tire...The bad tire has excessive rolling resistance and it will pull to that side. They should have never given you back a car that pulls for starters...I would swap to tires off another QP...Tire pull is more common in the front tires...Jason

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Another important tip: NEVER align the car after it has been lifted, as in, new tires installed, car being serviced, etc. The car will fall slightly out of spec once the car settles. I've been though this with multiple QPs and if it's a daily driver, you'll notice it immediately in your rear tire wear. The car should be driven at least 100 miles, then put on the alignment rack.

I do not think this is your current problem, as it shouldn't create a "pull." It will affect tire wear substantially, however. The experienced Ferrari dealers who give a SH** will always recommend the alignment be done prior to installing tires. This is the case on all front engined Ferraris and Maseratis.

Again, this doesn't sound like your issue. But, following this important step and your car will maintain it's alignment parameters going forward for tens of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I took my 2010 QP in for a 50,000 mile service. The dealer replaced the 2 rear tires and suggested an alignment. After the alignment, the car pulls to the right on flat road at interstate speeds..3 seconds and you have changed lanes.
The car drove fine before the new rear tires and alignment.
Took it back to the dealer 3-4 days later. They adjusted the alignment again, no change, still pulls right. They say the alignment is within specs on the alignment machine but after an interstate test drive and back on the machine, the alignment is out again. Do I need to conclude the dealer doesn't know what they are doing and go somewhere else?
Hello, we regret to hear that you are experiencing this concern after your dealer visit. If you would like additional support in having this corrected, please send our team a private message with your VIN.

MaseratiCares

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello, we regret to hear that you are experiencing this concern after your dealer visit. If you would like additional support in having this corrected, please send our team a private message with your VIN.

MaseratiCares, thank you for your offer to help. This might be my first post on this forum. Who is "MaseratiCares" and what would you do with my VIN number?

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I bought my 2009 QP with 19000 miles last year, it handled poorly and ate tires.

I had a tire shop align my 2009 QP. They could not get it within specs, and suggested the car had been in a wreck. It had not been (this is a certain fact).

I had Rusnak Maserati in Pasadena California change tires (using tires I bought) and do alignment. The factory trained and certified Maserati technician was aware of and followed the protocol Erik described above regarding the alignment effects of being on a rack, and the hundred mile drive. The factory trained and certified Maserati technician had no problem getting it right, and agreed that there was no sign of any damage to my car. After 7000 miles, tires have no noticeable wear, and the car tracks perfectly.

I find with sophisticated cars I have owned over the years -- including Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and Maserati -- that factory trained and certified mechanics are the ONLY way to go. There are so many lessons learned as these cars age and are serviced, and these lessons are only shared via the frequent (every 6 months or every 3 months) training that certified mechanics receive. There are PLENTY of mechanics that will charge less, but they simply do not have the knowledge nor training nor oversight to deal effectively, in a cost efficient manner, with the non-obvious issues our fine cars experience. Sure, money is involved. But it's better to pay once and have it fixed, than pay over and over and not have things working properly or SAFELY.

Lesser cars, like my Ford, Dodge, GM, even Fiat, Mazda, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota vehicles, can be effectively serviced by untrained, uncertified mechanics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good info David, thank you. I will share with the dealer maintenance contact.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It’s a bot or similar keyword identifier that flags a human to give a generic reply after a daily check of forum topics If it includes some thing that has keywords like dealership and negative or bad. You can buy them as a service. It’s not Maserati for sure, it would be some sort of outsourced customer care thing. It started being a lot more active lately maybe FCA is paying for more posts per day.

·
Registered
316 Posts
As for "MaseratiCares"... I emailed Maserati NA (from their website) to see if they are legit. Here is their reply.
"Hello,
Thank you for reaching out to Maserati Customer cares in regards to your inquiry. In order to be able to provide the luxury experience to any and all Maserati Customer, we do have a social media team , that works specifically with forums in order to provide potential resolutions to our customers. We will document the feedback provided and pass this information along to the proper department as well."

So...they didn't really confirm or deny. Will see if I get a follow up. It just would be good to know if people should be pm'ing them and giving them personal information.

4,548 Posts
When I bought my 2009 QP with 19000 miles last year, it handled poorly and ate tires.

I had a tire shop align my 2009 QP. They could not get it within specs, and suggested the car had been in a wreck. It had not been (this is a certain fact).

I had Rusnak Maserati in Pasadena California change tires (using tires I bought) and do alignment. The factory trained and certified Maserati technician was aware of and followed the protocol Erik described above regarding the alignment effects of being on a rack, and the hundred mile drive. The factory trained and certified Maserati technician had no problem getting it right, and agreed that there was no sign of any damage to my car. After 7000 miles, tires have no noticeable wear, and the car tracks perfectly.

I find with sophisticated cars I have owned over the years -- including Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and Maserati -- that factory trained and certified mechanics are the ONLY way to go. There are so many lessons learned as these cars age and are serviced, and these lessons are only shared via the frequent (every 6 months or every 3 months) training that certified mechanics receive. There are PLENTY of mechanics that will charge less, but they simply do not have the knowledge nor training nor oversight to deal effectively, in a cost efficient manner, with the non-obvious issues our fine cars experience. Sure, money is involved. But it's better to pay once and have it fixed, than pay over and over and not have things working properly or SAFELY.

Lesser cars, like my Ford, Dodge, GM, even Fiat, Mazda, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota vehicles, can be effectively serviced by untrained, uncertified mechanics.
Did you actually read the original post? It was the dealer and the factory trained techs. that returned a car that way...Obviously, not all dealers are the same...Aligning a car is not rocket science in the least and I have never waited 100 miles to align a car...A quick test drive will settle the suspension in order to align a vehicle....Jason

·
Registered
40 Posts
I second this !!
Got to many cars from official dealership over the years.
Could write a book About it , but have no time , i have to fix the cars that came from the offial dealership.

Frank

1 - 20 of 30 Posts