Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't drove my new Maserati in about a week...went out to the garage yesterday to take her out for a quick spin...like usual, I unlocked the vehicle with my key remote, got in, started her up and was on my way. Stopped for something to eat and noticed when I got out that I could not lock or unlock the vehicle with my key remote. Got back in the car and went home...messed around with it in my garage and noticed that both key remotes do not work.
Anyone know what the problem is......thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Noticed this afternoon that one of my keys started working again...jumped in the car and went down to Home Depot...came out and tried to use my key remote to unlock car....nothing...so I had to open car manually with key...alarm goes nuts...put key in ignition and start car....alarm still going nuts...turn car off...get out and shut door...alarm stops and car locks itself....I push key remote button, car unlocks so I get in and drive home. Get home and key remote does not work at all again.
WTF!!!!!!
Maybe I need a new battery....what type battery does the key remote take...can't find that info. anywhere in the manual.
Thanks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
perhaps you can just open the remote, the batteries will have a number on them...nothing high tech about the batteries...

I have dropped my remote enough for it to crack open and the contents fly out everywhere.....

Just an FYI....it is advisable to tape the key together, I was in SF one day and after alarming my car, the key flew out of my hands, the key split open and some of the contents were either run over by vehicles on the roadway, and some parts almost rolled into the underground sewer system. Had I not recovered them all, I would have been stuck...

·
Registered
202 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me, its the battery. just go to the dealer and get a new set.

you can open the remote very easily, just look at the side of the remote and you will see a difference (a bigger line) put your finger nail in and try to spread the control.

you will see that the battery is surrounded by a black circle, just push the black circle to the side and you will release the battery it actually need two batteries one on top of one another.

i tried to find the battery at radio shack and rite-aid but the only place that had it was the dealer.

just buy it and change the battery and your set. its funny i spent a 2 week tyring to debug the problem. at the end it was the battery.

i makes no sense that it would work ones and then it wouldn't, but that what it is.

take care

willie

·
Registered
513 Posts
Willie said

"i tried to find the battery at radio shack and rite-aid but the only place that had it was the dealer."

there are several equivalents of the battery. If you are not close to a dealer, I wouldn't knock myself out trying to match the exaxt #.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ignition Key Batteries

My key stopped unlocking the coupé yesterday, so because of this recent post, I went to a battery store (Batteries Plus - chain battery store) and purchased two 3V Lithium 'Coin' batteries (#CR1200). Not sure how 'standard' this number is, but it *is* the correct battery for the coupé, or at least the 2005 year model. They were $3.59 each. Hope this info is helpful to anyone else that needs batteries for their key.

Turns out that it did not fix the problem. Whenever you push the key to lock or unlock the door.... or to pop the trunk, it presses a small rectangular electronic 'button' (for want of a better word) on the circuit board - the lock/unlock button has come 'unsoldered' from the circuit board. I will either have to get it resoldered (damn it is small) or purchase a new key. Good thing we have a spare!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leo - same problem here....went to the dealer and got four new batteries...replaced all the batteries and still one key is dead. As you said.."thank goodness we have a spare."
Does the spare key you have pop the trunk as well....I could never get this option to work from day one.

·
Registered
773 Posts
keys

why this should be a consistent problem i dont know, but i have same problem. my key opens trunk, and always has, but control is 95% active

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maserati Key Problem

mjeagent and bundas, if your key is like mine, you will find that the 'electron button' on the circuit has come loose or is no longer making contact. There are 2 of these buttons facing up on the circuit board, one for the lock/unlock and one to pop the trunk. I assume that most everyone's lock/unlock button is used 10-20 times more than the trunk button, and therefore gets the majority of the wear. These buttons are soldered to the circuit board and the lock/unlock one came loose on my key. They are very small, about 2 mm wide by 5 mm long. Tomorrow, I'm going to ask one of the computer repair gurus at work if they can re-solder for me. It's long shot and I doubt it will be successful, but going to give it a try. I'm reasonably certain that I will have to get a new key from the dealer..... wondering if this will be covered under warranty...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Eureka! Solution to Dead Key Problem

In spite of my skepticism about being about to repair the key, I gave it to our computer repair guru at work today and he resoldered the 'electronic button' or switch back in its place on the key's circuit board. EUREKA, the key is as good as new! The roughly 2mm x 4-5mm switch is tiny, but he performed the job in about 10 min.

Therefore, if your trunk switch works, but the door lock/unlock button doesn't, the very first thing I would do is pry the key apart (with fingernail or table knife) and check to make sure that both rectangular switches are firmly soldered to the circuit board. I would not have attempted the job myself as it does take the right tools (very small solder gun, magnifying glass, and a vise for electronics), but most computer repair folks are capable I would guess.
Leo :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
LeoNewland said:
...I would not have attempted the job myself as it does take the right tools (very small solder gun, magnifying glass, and a vise for electronics), but most computer repair folks are capable I would guess.
Leo :D
or you wait a minimum of ten days for the new keys from Italy :( why???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
haha
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing