Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't believe it. I spent all of Thursday at the track and the car was brilliant (faster than the 355's and just behind the 430's). Today I take it out, give it some clutch slip on a fast take off and smelt burning followed by bad clutch slip with the clutch fully out. I was lucky to limp to the shop.

Is it normal for a GT (Non CC) car to go through a clutch in 15K miles? I am a bit disapointed as I thought only the CC cars burned through clutches this quick.

BTW: I am not very hard on them. All of my cars are manuals. My old SVT contour went almost 70K mikes on the same clutch despite some pretty serious thrashing.

·
Registered
793 Posts
When you depress the clutch is there any resistance? Any fluids puddling under the car?

Even though you smelled the clutch maybe it's the actuator (slave cylinder) at the clutch that's gone bad.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you depress the clutch is there any resistance? Any fluids puddling under the car?

Even though you smelled the clutch maybe it's the actuator (slave cylinder) at the clutch that's gone bad.
I didn't notice anything abnormal - no fluids and the action felt normal. The problem was slip - no question. When I applied throttle hard (especially in the lower gears), all that happened was the engine started revving higher - the car stayed at the same speed - and I got a whiff of burning something (presumeably the plates) in the cockpit. Any idea idea how much this is going to cost (I am almost afraid to ask)?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Someone mentioned today in another thread something about Ferrari figuring out that the clutch for the F1 and manual were lasting about the same. So if it's true, then you're not so bad at 15,000 miles. But it seems pretty low for either system...

·
Registered
793 Posts
--- When I applied throttle hard (especially in the lower gears), all that happened was the engine started revving higher - the car stayed at the same speed ---
You are definitely SOL.

The theory about Ferrari clutches is not accurate. I know of a 360 with 110K miles and only has had one (1) clutch replaced due to a leaking seal,m and one with 50K+ miles on the original clutch. Both are 6 speeds.

For those who do not know Lamborghini stated making cars over a dispute with Enzo over a clutch failure in a new Ferrari Lamborghini purchased!

Lamborghini was a large farm tractor and implements dealer throughout Italy. We Enzo told him to pound sand he vowed to get even. Don't know if he did, though!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'd also think that a manual would last way more than a F1, but I guess it all depends on who's driving each one. I believe that a bad driver would wear a manual trans. clutch more than he could a F1 because the system would be controlling the slip/engagement. On the other hand, if you consider a good driver, the manual should last longer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey,

I just got a '03 Coupe with a GT transmission, and I'm a little curious about this myself. When I went the service center (maserati dealer service), everyone working there implied the regular stick shift clutch lasts as long as a clutch in normal cars. In fact, right after I got the 12k mile service, I was asking him about service times. He asked if I was using it as a daily driver. I said yes. Then he said, "well, since you've got a regular stick shift, just bring it for service every 6k miles. You shouldn't have anything else to worry about. You won't need anything else until 31.5k miles." The shop foreman there told me pretty much the same thing, says he has a customer who uses the car as a DD, has 68k miles on it, and never had to replace the clutch.

However, people on this forum seem to say different. It seems odd the service people at the dealer would be that wrong, but who knows?

·
Registered
10 Posts
2003 Spyder GT... new clutch at 20k mi

I just bought an '03 GT Spyder, and negotiated a new clutch, TO bearing, flywheel etc into the deal. Glad I did, I've been driving the car while the parts are on order, and it started slipping pretty bad this week. Just passed 20k mi...

H

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have changed ALOT of 4200 clutches and while the GT clutch does last longer, it is essentially the same clutch. 15-20,000 miles seems to be the window for replacement, I have seen a few with higher mileage but the mean is in the 17,500 range. I saw one w/ 34,000 that needed it's first clutch, but that car did 110 miles each way every day. The more the clutch is activated the more it wears, so there is no real gauge as to how long they will last.
Running the car on the track put tons of undue stress on the clutch as well, not only in terms of wear, but HEAT, which can and will lead to glazing which in turn leads to slipping. Once they start to slip, replacement is imminent, so don't go too far or you will probably get stuck. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Definately 2nd that Kent ,people tend to think that manuals are different, its exactly the same clutch and exactly the same gearbox, just operates via linkages and cables, so no real reason for them to last longer , tho infact the difference in the is uk minimal .Ferrari's tend to be a little worse miles wise on there clutches tho probably down to the type of driver, and Lambo's are worst of all for clutch wear, heard of many a lambo doin clutches in under 5000 miles

regards lozcb

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have changed ALOT of 4200 clutches and while the GT clutch does last longer, it is essentially the same clutch. 15-20,000 miles seems to be the window for replacement, I have seen a few with higher mileage but the mean is in the 17,500 range. I saw one w/ 34,000 that needed it's first clutch, but that car did 110 miles each way every day. The more the clutch is activated the more it wears, so there is no real gauge as to how long they will last.
Running the car on the track put tons of undue stress on the clutch as well, not only in terms of wear, but HEAT, which can and will lead to glazing which in turn leads to slipping. Once they start to slip, replacement is imminent, so don't go too far or you will probably get stuck. Hope this helps!
Thanks Kent. I feel a bit better now (probably won't once I get the bill though). I am going to have the TO bearing replaced at the same time. You are right about the heat though. Race City Speedway is one of the fastest tracks in Canada and I was pushing 140 MPH on the main straight and about 110 on the back with every shift in between at redline. The car was hot as hell and even after 20 minutes of cool down was hotter than anything I had ever experienced on the street.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I got my 02 GT at 20k miles and i dont think it had a new clutch at that time. I just change clutch at 40k miles. The pedel was a bit high and look like i need a new clutch but turn out that it have almost 30% left when the mechanic took it out. I drive pretty hard, go to a few autocross but never track my car. With about 60% is the highway miles, at least i think i could get 40k miles out of a set of clutch. On the Diablo, I got less than 10k miles from a set of clutch and it cost way more to change.
pganmol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts