Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went a couple of weeks without driving the Spyder and the battery's dead.

Problems:

1. the battery's in the trunk
2. the key opener and the glove box opener won't work without electricity
3. none of the keys provided will open the trunk.

I purchased a NiCad "recharger" that purports to be able to recharge the battery through the cigarette lighter, but so far it hasn't worked. The instructions for this device mention the possibility of the car alarm system preventing recharging, and suggests putting the alarm in "valet mode" or turning it off.

Unfortunately the owner's manual is in the trunk, did I mention the trunk is locked...

Calling the roadside assistance program it seems the only option is to wait til Monday and trailer to the dealer.

Does anyone have a suggestion for opening the trunk or disabling the alarm?

thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Can you open the hood? If so you should be able to put current into the system from someplace (alternator, for example) in there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
on the coupe the key opens the trunk. The lock is under the indentation for the hand so i only found out after 1 year of owning the car...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know you've probably tried this, but are you sure you have tried the key properly? When I replaced my ECU, I switched off the battery in the trunk, and then closed the trunk, and then said " Oh shit....".
Then I found the key hole for the trunk, recessed above the license place, where you would normally find the hand release. I also found that the release took more pressure than I would expect. I used the same key I use in the ignition with the remote buttons.
Anyway, if that doesn't work, I don't have a clue. Unless you locked a midget in your trunk who can pull that glow in the dark emergency trunk release that is apparently there due to the incredible foresight of our politicians! I know, you're also not in the mood for any stupid humor either right now - sorry!
Mike

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm pretty sure there's some trick to using the key in the lock that's escaping me. The service department says that "the trunk is spring loaded so you need to put pressure on the lid and jiggle the key to open". So far no luck with that.

I've got two blue headed keys and one red headed valet key. The blue keys both fit in the lock recessed above the license plate but won't turn. The red key only fits about 1/4 of an inch in (as you'd expect).

Mike, what kind of pressure are you talking about? Pushing the key into the lock more firmly or pressing down on the trunk lid? I'm thinking hard about how to access that kidnap release - gotta love the graphic showing the little stick figure hopping out and running away. Given Aldo Moro's fate I'm guessing it's standard on Italian models.

kbrookings, I can get the hood open. Where on the alternator would you connect the cables?

Squid, you're a master of humor 8^)>

It's frustrating but it's all part of owning an exotic. You have to be able to have a fund of stories starting "you know what you have to go through when..."

·
Registered
242 Posts
The key to opening the trunk (no pun intended) is to press DOWN on the trunk with one hand while you turn the key with the other. Its an issue that all Masers have with regards to opening the trunk with the key. Make sure you put a fair amount of pressure on the trunk while you turn the key.
I had the same issue with a battery last month and this did the trick.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My advice is similar. While I didn't have to press down on my trunk lid, I did have to put some significant pressure while turning the key clockwise to open the trunk. Hey, it's Italian, and needs some encouragement.
Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
You really have to turn that key hard. Use the blue key and turn it clockwise. I did the same thing and was about to have the car towed to the shop before I really cranked on the key and the trunk opened. I turned the key so hard, I was afraid the key would break, but the trunk opened first.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HMOG I don't believe how hard you have to turn the key to get it to open. I did think it was about to break!

In any case,thanks for all the help. Now I have to go for a nice long drive to make sure she's recharged and happy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The key will work in the trunk without power, but you kind of have to force it.

To recharge it, don't jump or push it. You will need a BatteryTender. Just attach it to the battery and plug it into a power outlet.

The manual could be a lot more clear about all this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
haha
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing