Maserati Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've probably driven in Normal mode twice since I bought my GS over a year ago, and yesterday I tried for the first time since installed the DBW and I was very surprised of how much better it felt. Before the DBW the shifts in Normal mode way sloooow, but yesterday it seemed like the Sport mode without DBW. Is it possible or it's my imagination?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Niteroi - I've often wondered exactly **how** the DBW works technically. Jeff, if you're reading this, perhaps you could provide a tech brief on how the DBW actually accomplishes the improvement in driveability. Is the kiss point being dynamically corrected? Are the pressure plates being caused to engage more fully and sooner? etc....

Yesterday, I noticed for the first time that I've been driving my DBW in the less aggressive mode so, I switched the toggle to the alternate mode and thought that it made a really big difference. I've also noticed that driving with MSP off yields more noticeable results as well.

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
Gentlemen, the differences are in the details. We put quite a bit of development into this product to get the right result. Often our customers say that they don't immediately feel the difference between the DBW modes. So I'm certainly glad that some of our customers are able to detect the difference!

The truth is that you've got to have a sharp sense for these things and get familiar with the different behaviors before you can truly tell the difference between the modes and their interaction with Sport Mode and MSP.

You will not get the same shifting in Normal Mode with the DBW as you will in Sport Mode without the DBW however it's not too far off either.

We achieve the results by advancing key triggers in the factory Drive By Wire System that control the engagement and shifting. I don't want to let all of our techniques out of the bag however it's fair to say that the factory system is detuned and we were able to make a marked improvement.

As Vincenzo stated, you will get the most aggressive tune when you are in Sport Mode with Traction Control Off.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Gentlemen, the differences are in the details. We put quite a bit of development into this product to get the right result. Often our customers say that they don't immediately feel the difference between the DBW modes. So I'm certainly glad that some of our customers are able to detect the difference!

The truth is that you've got to have a sharp sense for these things and get familiar with the different behaviors before you can truly tell the difference between the modes and their interaction with Sport Mode and MSP.

You will not get the same shifting in Normal Mode with the DBW as you will in Sport Mode without the DBW however it's not too far off either.

We achieve the results by advancing key triggers in the factory Drive By Wire System that control the engagement and shifting. I don't want to let all of our techniques out of the bag however it's fair to say that the factory system is detuned and we were able to make a marked improvement.

As Vincenzo stated, you will get the most aggressive tune when you are in Sport Mode with Traction Control Off.

Without the DBW my car would not launch, it would take off slowly and then once moving start going quickly. With the DBW in regular mode the car will launch and takes off like a jack rabbit.. With the DBW in aggressive mode my car takes off like a "rocket" as my friends put it.. The car with traction control on will leap off the line, traction control modulating the wheel spin and with the traction control off it's tire vaporization time...

I regularly drive my car at 5400 feet above MSL, with trips back to my home town of Grand Lake which can go over 12,500 feet above MSL, depending on Berthoud Pass or Trail Ridge Road, and with the DBW and the Piggy Back ECU that Jeff did for me with 93 octane and 93 octane high altitude the car is an absolute beast!!

And yes Jeff, with the DBW and slow speeds, the car manuevers like my Toyota 4 Runner with it's automatic tranny. Best money I have ever spent on a car enhancement!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts