Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days after I installed the DBW my car went into "Limp Mode", wouldn't pass 4k rpm. I unplugged the DBW and the car went back to normal. Then I plugged it again and the car remained normal.

It just happened again today, so I unplugged the DBW and the car went back to normal. But this time when I plugged the DBW again it went right back to "Limp Mode".

Any of you guys had that happening too? How did you get it fixed?

I've been in contact with Jeff and he's helping me with it, but I wanted to know if any of you guys went through the same, ad if so, what was the problem?

The problem is that I can't live without the DBW! The car shifts so much better!! You have no idea how rough the factory shifting is until you try the DBW.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't seem to be the harness because when I unplug the DBW and plug the bypass in the car works fine.

Regarding the pins, they look ok, and I haven't driven through bumps or potholes to get anything unplugged. It always happens when the car is parked.

Peepster, I did see your post, but didn't know what happened afterwards.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
It doesn't seem to be the harness because when I unplug the DBW and plug the bypass in the car works fine.

Regarding the pins, they look ok, and I haven't driven through bumps or potholes to get anything unplugged. It always happens when the car is parked.

Peepster, I did see your post, but didn't know what happened afterwards.
It could very well be the harness - I have that issue now and just got a new harness from Jeff. In my situation the defective pins that are loose are on the by pass plug side. Look at the plug where you plug in the bypass and see if all the pins are fully up or any are loose.

Since it just started on yours after install it could also be the splices into the ECU harness that are loose but I would check the harness first.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When I looked at my "bad" one that I took out, there was maybe one pin that looked recessed into the connector a bit farther than the rest, but I think I remember Jeff saying they had some trouble occassionally getting good connections where two wires are crimped into one pin.

You could try pushing all of the wires individually farther into the connector to make sure wires are fully connected to their pins and the pins are fully inserted into the connector.

Anyway, switching the entire module to fix the problem also gave me the chance to ask Jeff for a more aggressive (second) program. So, now rather than the switch changing me between aggressive and more aggressive, it switches between aggressive and very aggressive, a difference that I have an easier time detecting than the original one. If you need a replacement module, you may want to consider trying a different program for at least one of the settings.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Mine was caused by a bad connection...

I pushed the two wire connection farther up into the connector, Jeff told me which one over the phone, and it's been cool ever since...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It happened again today, it was great when I left my house and after about an hour went into limp mode. I checked the connections but couldn't find anything wrong. And if it's connection, it shouldn happened right from the beginning and not after an hour, right?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would not be surprised that it started happening after driving it a bit. A loose wire or connector pin can easily be intermittent, especially in the type of vibrational environment that exists in an operating vehicle. I am not sure what you did to check the connections when you got back, but you will not likely be able to locate an intermittent connection by visual inspection.

Question - Did you/the installer solder all connections that were made when the module was installed? If that was done properly, then I would stick with my original guess - that it is a bad connection at one of the connectors. If the spliced connections were not soldered, then you will need to verify that the problem isn't at one of the splices.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did soldered the conecctions. I hope I don't have to go through all those connection again to recheck them, it's going to be a pain...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just back into it...drive the car and figure out about how often problem occurs...now put in the jumper instead of the module then drive for same duration and watch for problem...if you have no issues then it is in the module side if the issue happens with the jumper installed it is more then likely the TPS wires.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Niteroi,

I have an extra harness... Would you like it? That way jeff wont have to pay for extra shipping and you dont have to wait.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just back into it...drive the car and figure out about how often problem occurs...now put in the jumper instead of the module then drive for same duration and watch for problem...if you have no issues then it is in the module side if the issue happens with the jumper installed it is more then likely the TPS wires.
I've been driving with the bypass since yesteray and so far the car is ok. Jeff is sending me a new DBW.

Thank you for you kind offer, MaseratiBoy!

·
Registered
94 Posts
The easiest thing may be for you to fly me out there to Santa Barbara and I will fix it for you!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You wouldn't wanna be here, Peepster,too sunny, too many college girls... horrible! :D

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Just an FYI out there to anyone who doesn't fully understand the problem that some guys have experienced.

The DBW connects to a harness. Some of the plugs on the harness have made intermittent connections for some customers. In the event that this does happen, we will of course send you out new hardware which will fix the connection issue, free of charge.

Why does it go into limp mode, What is limp mode?

Limp mode is a temporary mode that the cars ECU will enter if it detects an intermittent connection or other minor issue. At this point the car will run safely, however will not drive above 4K RPM. In every case of this problem, customers have been able to insert our bypass module and the car will return to stock drivability instantly. This allows us to send new hardware without losing drivability. The new hardware is inserted and like magic, all is well again.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
94 Posts
Niteroi said:
You wouldn't wanna be here, Peepster,too sunny, too many college girls... horrible! :D
BigFoot said:
Sorry Peepster, I have already got Niteroi's guest room booked ;) :D
Okay, BigFoot you take the guest room, I'll take the college girls!!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok guys, just a sample...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts