Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, the leather on the top of my dash is badly wrinkled in places and lifting off near the windshield. I went by a shop and they quoted me $900 to put a new piece of leather on and reattach it. This seemed a bit high since I was offering to provide them with the dash top pre-removed and I'd imagine it would be about two hours of work for them.

Has any one re stretched and re-glued the leather back down on their dash top? I don't need it to look "perfect", just passable. A friend's dad has some experience working with leather projects like this and offered to help.

I found this guide on how to remove the dash top so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to DIY this.
Dashboard top /Instruments removal. | SportsMaserati.com

thanks guys, my car looks like shit right now because of it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes it is possible but tricky because of the shape and risk of the dashboard mould breaking.

The dash top is actually vinyl not leather so I’m assuming recovering the piece in new vinyl will be cheaper.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Ok guys, the leather on the top of my dash is badly wrinkled in places and lifting off near the windshield. I went by a shop and they quoted me $900 to put a new piece of leather on and reattach it. This seemed a bit high since I was offering to provide them with the dash top pre-removed and I'd imagine it would be about two hours of work for them.

Has any one re stretched and re-glued the leather back down on their dash top? I don't need it to look "perfect", just passable. A friend's dad has some experience working with leather projects like this and offered to help.

I found this guide on how to remove the dash top so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to DIY this.
Dashboard top /Instruments removal. | SportsMaserati.com

thanks guys, my car looks like shit right now because of it.
Currently have my dash getting done now. Stretching leather is difficult and requires patience, but more than that the dash isn't a sinle piece. The single piece style dash is vinyl, the realy leather ones have two pieces of leather stitched to get a good fit.

In Australia at least, $900 would be a fair price to properly fit a leather dash.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Currently have my dash getting done now. Stretching leather is difficult and requires patience, but more than that the dash isn't a sinle piece. The single piece style dash is vinyl, the realy leather ones have two pieces of leather stitched to get a good fit.
That two-piece dash with the stitching is on the 3200 and early 4200 and it was also vinyl I believe, its the one that stretches. The GS and newer 4200 have a one piece PVC thing.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My 03 spyder was leather, the 04 coupe is vinyl.

·
Registered
841 Posts
That two-piece dash with the stitching is on the 3200 and early 4200 and it was also vinyl I believe, its the one that stretches. The GS and newer 4200 have a one piece PVC thing.
Every GS I've seen here has a two-piece leather dash, except for the MCV which has a two-piece alcantara dash. Mine also had a two-piece alcantara dash - but it does not survive in the sun at all so it is getting retrimmed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Every GS I've seen here has a two-piece leather dash, except for the MCV which has a two-piece alcantara dash. Mine also had a two-piece alcantara dash - but it does not survive in the sun at all so it is getting retrimmed.
All the GSs (regardless of being full leather or tech cloth) I’ve seen have a dash like this: I’m not sure if this is a two piece but it seems like it is one single piece.

without the stitching on the binnacle top

the older ones have the stitching

The second one is the one that usually peels, the first will get all sticky from the sun like mine did.

the MCV had the binnacle stitching like the 3200 and pre facelift 4200, but in alcantara as you said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts