Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I've just bought a used 2002 Spyder (which had been a demonstrator at the dealership so has done only 6,000 miles). There are a few electric/electronic niggles with it which I'm going to have the dealership address:

- the (optional) rear parking sensor doesn't work
- the (optional) electric adjustment of seats doesn't work the mirrors as I expect

... and I hope I don't find too many more!

One thing though - driving home last night (the first time I've drive the car in the "dark" as opposed to at dusk), I noticed that the speedometer needle is very poorly lit.

Glancing down at the dashboard, it is really difficult to see what speed you're doing without looking for what seems like a long time... and the rev counter needle is more noticeable, as is the oil temperature etc.

It's not completely light & dark, but it just seems that the speedo is that bit less easy to read.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Should I expect the needle to be brightly lit? I've tweaked the brightness adjustment on the dash and it's currently set to 'brightest'.

Any help much appreciated!

rgds
Ewan

PS - other than the few niggles, I love the car so far - it's a Rosso Mondial Spyder GT.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Have heard that the 2002 had some electrical bugs but can be fixed pretty easy by the dealer. Not sure I can answer the speedo question but maybe somebody here with one could help you. I will have my 2004 Spyder GT in about a month and I will check out mine. Have yet to hear from anyone who opted for the GT, How are you liking the shifting? Also heard the dead pedal is to close to driver and can get uncomfertable. Good luck with your car

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
scott said:
Have heard that the 2002 had some electrical bugs but can be fixed pretty easy by the dealer. Not sure I can answer the speedo question but maybe somebody here with one could help you. I will have my 2004 Spyder GT in about a month and I will check out mine. Have yet to hear from anyone who opted for the GT, How are you liking the shifting? Also heard the dead pedal is to close to driver and can get uncomfertable. Good luck with your car
Yeah, there seem to be a few electrical niggles which I'm compiling into a 'snag list' for the dealer. I just don't want to get fobbed off by being told 'that's the way it is' with the speedo, if other people say it doesn't happen to them :)

As for the manual change, it's not all that smooth - I came from a Honda S2000 which has a very short thrown shift (and is also positioned high - ie the transmission tunnel is almost at chest height so your arm just falls off the wheel onto the gear stick). The Maser shifter is a much longer throw, and 2nd gear is at a slight dog-leg so smooth shifting from 1st - 2nd takes a bit of practice. Also, going from reverse - 1st - reverse again (when parking or doing a 3-point turn for example) can be clumsy.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, and I knew the shifter wasn't the best part of the car - but when you're driving, the fact that you have to be very definite when changing up kind-of adds to the driving experience.

rgds
Ewan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scott said:
Also heard the dead pedal is to close to driver and can get uncomfertable. Good luck with your car
Actually, I really like the positioning of the dead pedal... in fact, when I got in my other car yesterday, I found my left foot waving about in thin air looking for the dead pedal which wasn't there ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I also had a Honda S2000 and that car was almost to easy to shift, Then traded For a Boxster S and was surprised that it did not shift nearly as easy as the Honda. Then traded that for an M3 SMG and missed the clutch so thats why I went for the GT. The sequential type gear box is great if the car is your every day vechicle but I only drive these cars for fun drives and I believe you need the 3rd pedal for that. The learning how to drive the GT is what I am most looking forward to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
scott
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing