Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just picked up an 04 coupe. Currently working on fixing a few things. Does anyone know how to takeoff the top of the dash? My dash has little bursts all over it (as if boiled) and I need to get it redone.

Thanks!

James

·
Registered
226 Posts

its outlined in Step 7, apparently not that hard to do.

The dash bubbling is when the adhesives weaken from age/sun damage, it happens a lot to Ferraris and some other cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is awesome! Thanks a lot! I was thinking of taking it out of there, sanding it down a bit and repairing the marks with the paste that the detailers use for touch ups. Then I would just re-stain black. On further consideration I don’t think that would look very good so I’m probably going to just get it re-done in the factory vinyl or perhaps leather. Thanks again!

·
Registered
498 Posts
My coupe was sitting in the sun for a year before I bought it and the vinyl dash looked perfect, much better than the seats. I wanted to change the color from blue to black, removing the dash took only 30 min. You'll need a right angle screwdriver to get the corner fasteners out, ratcheting type is best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My coupe was sitting in the sun for a year before I bought it and the vinyl dash looked perfect, much better than the seats. I wanted to change the color from blue to black, removing the dash took only 30 min. You'll need a right angle screwdriver to get the corner fasteners out, ratcheting type is best.
Good to know. Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi,

Just picked up an 04 coupe. Currently working on fixing a few things. Does anyone know how to takeoff the top of the dash? My dash has little bursts all over it (as if boiled) and I need to get it redone.

Thanks!

James
does it look like a 1000 warts or pimples???? Mine did this over the summer and it looks terrible. It was in perfect condition before this

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2004 Coupe has the same bubbles all over the top of the dash, the car had a branded title because a previous owner made an insurance company pay thousands for this damage. I have all the paperwork for the provenance of this. I call it craters of the moon special edition, LOL. Someone said it was caused by a detail shop using a wrong chemical on the leather, but maybe it is just susceptible to the heat and sunlight... My bubbles look a bit worse yet than the photo. Other than this flaw, the car is incredible and awesome, impeccable and runs like a swiss watch. The steering wheel is even solid carbon fiber!! I had been looking for a way to replace the dash cover. If it is really a thirty minute job to remove, maybe I'll tackle it one of these days and look for an upholstery outfit to put a new leather cover on it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah. Maybe it’s an 04 thing. When the weather gets lousy, I’m going to pull it. Trying to decide if stitching would look cool around the rise for the instrument cluster. Would kind of mirror the back. It does not feel like leather to me. Is it? Thx!

·
Registered
226 Posts
There were two different dash tops for this car. Earlier cars had stitching around the instrument binnacle area while later cars do not.

I believe they are all vinyl.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That’s exactly what mine did this summer. I did use an old batch of self mixed window washer and wonder if that did it or maybe it just happens

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an 04 Coupe and my dash has the same bubbles. Looks like bad acne. I was wondering if it was supposed to look that way. I got too many other car issues on other cars to fool with t his, although maybe one day!!!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well you’re the third one I’ve heard about. I guess it’s the material failure for that year. Feels like vinyl to me. I think it would look cooler with a leather and stitching similar to the earlier car. I hear you on that too many cars thing! :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
One this I could probably say about my car is that this summer was probably the first year it mostly lived outside. I think the previous owners babied it a bit and it spent most of its time garages. Maybe the sun???

·
Registered
31 Posts
I picked up mine from the eastern shore in Md. which gets pretty hot and humid. The guy was getting divorced and I would bet it was outside!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
One this I could probably say about my car is that this summer was probably the first year it mostly lived outside. I think the previous owners babied it a bit and it spent most of its time garages. Maybe the sun???
I shouldn’t type while driving and paddle shifting! Sorry for the poor grammar!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts