Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you guys know, I got an engine replaced under warranty. However, one of my warranty complaints was the driver side Xenon low beam blows fuses. Upon inspection, they found "aftermarket wiring" and abruptly denied ANY electrical warranty. Repeat DENIED ANY electrical warranty INCLUDING my erratic fuel level sensor!

I got my car back with a nice new engine (thank God I didn't have any aftermarket engine mods), both registration and inspection expired and a dead headlight. The problem is, I had a dead headlight so I couldn't pass inspection; what a nightmare!

So yesterday I jacked the car up, removed the wheel and inspected the headlight area. I found 3 connectors, 2 of which I systematically disconnected until the fuse stopped blowing (the 3rd was not connected to anything). Turned out to be the Xenon light control station module (just above the air cleaner), which obviously failed without the help of my aftermarket wiring!

Rather than waiting until Eurospares could send me a new one, I found that the Halogen headlight connector is in the harness unconnected. I went to Autozone and bought a H3 Halogen bulb and a high temp H3 connector. I then forced the H3 into the headlight and wired the connector with the help of a multimeter to the Halogen connector. Cool! One Xenon and one Halogen headlight but I passed inspection. The new control module is on its way from Eurospares (net $40.00 cheaper than MNA) but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Here's the kicker... My aftermarket mod they objected to was the wiring to my radar detector!!! PLEASE make sure you disconnect ANYTHING aftermarket before service.

Buzz

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think they are allowed to do that ;-)
Well they did it Ali. I begged the Service Manager and he just said no. On the paperwork they even noted that I asked them to fix the burned out headlight but they refused due to aftermarket wiring. I'm glad to get my motor but a little pissed that all electrical work is no longer covered under warranty because I wired-in a radar detector!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wonder what the dealer would have said if they had wired in the detectore while the car was under warranty. I am sure that they would have taken the revenue for the service noting that it was "just a radar detector". Perhaps someone else has done this and would call their dealer to see if they are banned from the electrical warranty. A letter from the dealer might help you with your dealer, or take the letter and car to another dealer. I am also wondering if they have just had enough of you and found a way to tell you whose boss?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder what the dealer would have said if they had wired in the detectore while the car was under warranty. I am sure that they would have taken the revenue for the service noting that it was "just a radar detector". Perhaps someone else has done this and would call their dealer to see if they are banned from the electrical warranty. A letter from the dealer might help you with your dealer, or take the letter and car to another dealer. I am also wondering if they have just had enough of you and found a way to tell you whose boss?
Well you could be right there! My first 2 wives "just had enough of me and found a way to tell me whose boss" ;)

But seriously, if I didn't know somethng about ths stuff I would have been screwed. All said, she's on the road and all stickered up. Warranty expires in August.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yeah, the mod has to have been a cause of the fault they are denying.

My wife's BMW just had a major flood from the sunroof (clogged drains) and the dealer was complaining about my V1 hardwiring (which had nothing to do with the faults the leak caused).

·
Registered
681 Posts
They will do anything to avoid a warranty.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust and your catalytic converter fails, yes your dealer can deny your warranty claim. If you have an IPOD or Radar Detector in your car and they try to blame that on your headlight, they have no right to even assume it is the cause of failure let alone deny your warranty claim.

I had an issue with a dealer (not Maserati) avoiding a warranty because of modification. 2 days later after a letter from my lawyer they invited me back with open arms and gave me an equivalent loaner which they had never done before.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My dealer tried to tell me that the warranty on my TPMS sensors was void because my rims had been chromed! Then they tried to tell that the warranty was void because one of the sensors had been installed on the wrong rim (you have think about that one for a second). Finally they said that the sensor had been installed on the wrong location on the rim.

A little bit of knowledge goes a long way when dealing with any dealership and warranty.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Here's the kicker... My aftermarket mod they objected to was the wiring to my radar detector!!! PLEASE make sure you disconnect ANYTHING aftermarket before service.

Buzz
I guess they didn't turn on the stereo ;-)

I would ask them to clarify their position on the warranty in writing.
Make sure the general manager of the dealership is copied on the correspondence.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
It is so easy to say "you will win" but so hard to actually win any case with an army of lawyers dealers have on their payroll.
One more thing, all dealers are aware of what is going on here and they don't like what we do, period. All they care is their pockets and image for the next s..er and their mentality goes like this: you want italian you must have money to blow. It's a ripoff scheme that every dealership pulls it on customers and unless you are a big time lawyer or have one to spare they will do anything to make you pay and those warranties are a joke. Why is an oil change 400usd? when it should be around half of that? Why once someone questions their bill they blame you for not "mentioning" ahead of what you've agreed upon?
It is the system that is faulty and the consumer is one big looser no mater what and to fight this plaque we have this forum, we have these good mechanics with their fantastic support here on this forum, we have each other to pass on experiences and ideas. This here is a big italian family with many citizenship's................................I'm glad we're all here!

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar experience with the radio when I tried to have it replaced under warranty. The battery had gone dead and when I tried to boost the car, it blew the radio. Foolishly, I did not cut off the power with the dedicated knob in the truck before I hooked up my jumper cables for the boost. I suggest anyone cut the power to the car before jump-starting your car to avoid any unnecessary complications to any electrical systems.

Because I had an aftermarket MP3 player for my iPod, the dealer (Maserati of Silicon Valley) would not replace the radio.

Ended up with a better aftermarket radio in the end as compared to the original equipment, but it was still annoying dealing with the dealer as the MP3 player and installation had nothing to do with the blown radio. The dealership took the hard-line that any modification to the radio system by installing an MP3 player would void the radio warranty – but he did not go so far as to say this would alter any of the other remaining warranty of the car. They have also noted on my prior service records the aftermarket Tubi, but have not ever mentioned the hard-wired radar detector.

I still need to put on a battery tender now that I have new battery from last Fall.

_______
2005 GranSport (Giallo Granturismo)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This would irritate me a lot more if I didn't have only 3 months left of warranty. I'd be on my own after that anyway. Gives me DIY experience.

And thanks to Eurospares I have a source for parts AND great exploded views as to how things come apart!

·
Registered
402 Posts
This is all very confusing. My dealer sells Tubi directly, and will install! Im wondering how any of the Novitec mods im planning, especially the full lift suspension, are going to fly. I may see if the dealer will do the suspension install, Ill leave the body mods up to Autowerks though. I also was about to have the 9500ci installed, I know my dealer does radars too. Does this mean ONLY if the dealer installs, will they support the mods :confused:

·
5,887 Posts
Does this mean ONLY if the dealer installs, will they support the mods :confused:
It is important to note that dealers do not make decisions based on what to cover and what not to cover. MNA sets these guidelines and has the final say. Dealers generally like warranty work. They get paid either way. MNA, on the other hand, doesn't like warranty work because they have to pay the dealer.

Chances are, there will be little difference, as far as warranties are concerned, if a dealer modifies your car or an independent.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 24 Posts