Maserati Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right...

Came back from a 2-week trip, the maser stayed outside in the driveway as usual. Know there were some strong storms in London whilst I was away, but anyway... went to the car as I needed the 12v compressor to pump some air into the baby stroller wheels. Everything seemed fine, but when I opened the spare wheel cover, I found the toolbox and the compressor cover all damp. In fact, had a chamois stored there which was quite wet.

WTF..? No signs of damp or water marks on the trunk liner, so maybe during one of those strong storms the rubber seals just could not keep the water away, the oveflow made it to the inside and then leaked into the spare wheel bay. Again, on opening the trunk it was as dry as it could be and no water marks anywhere to be seen.

Took the liner away to (thankfully) discover everything was dry (no signs of damp under it) so maybe the chamois did the trick :D but I'm a bit pissed to know that if I'm on the road and get hit by a downpour (becoming more likely around here TBH) anything on the trunk could get wet. The trunk rubber seal is in mint condition; checked it very carefully. As I don't see how water can defy gravity, there is only one way it could have come into the trunk...

Has anyone came across this..?

Ed

·
Registered
824 Posts
I had this problem. I think they had two swings at fixing it. They completely re-installed the trunk seal, and then took the entire lining out to fix some grommet. I would take it to the dealer - swimming pools in the trunk are no fun.

·
Registered
528 Posts
This seems to be a weak spot on these cars.
I had it fixed twice so far.
The first time they put a new seal in it, and it was fine for about 6 months.

Recently they adjusted the trunk (boot) alignment, and all is fine so far.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ed and others, look for this product in marine or boat supply shops...

...it should help get rid of moisture and bad odors caused by water intrusion.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had the same problem as well

final draw and i sold the car
That was a bit extreme..! :D

Well, for the first time in God knows how long it was a nice, sunny day all-along in London yesterday, so I took out the bucket + some elbow grease to do some washing-up and waxing (boys, do I recommend Bilt Hamber's Autobalm... maybe not the deepest, wettest of glosses, but the best protection you can give to your car.)

Anyway decided to give it the beans with the water pressure hose, set low but throwing as much water as the worst of downpours. Five minutes solid, from the top of the rear window towards the trunk (the same way water will naturally flow away from the roof.)

Opened the trunk afterwards (had put 3 big towels inside just in case) and noting, nada, zip. Not a drip of water. So it seems the gasket was able to hold-on. And unless someone tells me how water can defy the laws of gravity, I'm now puzzled. Or maybe I was too gentle :D (didn't look like, though...)

Will have the dealer take a look.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Think condensation....

Humidity, warm day, car is alright, you shut it up for the couple of weeks, it get's cold, wet weather, condensation in the trunk... Don't know exactly how humid it is there, but that could be a possibility... Kind of like a cold pepsi bottle on a hot day, but in reverse...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Mark... yup, thought about that possibility, but the leather chamois in the spare wheel bay was really wet... cannot believe chamois is as good as silica to trap moisture (that would be a find..!)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Ed,

When I read the heading "damp in the trunk" I was afraid to read your post.. Thank God it wasn't YOU that was damp in the trunk :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ed,

When I read the heading "damp in the trunk" I was afraid to read your post.. Thank God it wasn't YOU that was damp in the trunk :D
LOL..! Not me, just a chamois... :D

(a Meguiars one BTW which are ridiculously expensive here, well, as everything... at the tune of 25 bucks or so.)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would try running some water around the trunk to see if the problem may show itself. If the trunk gasket is good, have you checked the tail light gaskets. Perhaps water may be trickling in that way, just a thought.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Think I found the sucker... and a hint if anyone else has this issue

Right

It rained like s**t overnight here in London, and guess what... again, some water inside the trunk :mad:

A tiny bit, some droplets, but enough is enough. Dunno why I went to check the trunk AM before departing to the office, had that 6th sense I guess.

Came back decided to sort this one out for good. So, took the inner trunk trim out and found the source. Slight damp around the area where the plastic protection that shields the cabling coming from the license plate lights (and also the leads to the actuator that remotely opens the trunk) is attached to the metal frame. It is a black, flexible plastic tubing. The seal/mount is anything but perfect (I took it out with no effort; looks absolutely fine to the naked eye, but it is not) hence water came in through there when the area flooded. The trunk seals are in perfect order.

Solution : use a non-corrosive, silicone (flexible) sealant on the mount, re-attach, and presto.

No need to go to the dealer...

TBH it pays checking if this sucker is in good condition, even if you have no damp INSIDE the trunk as water might not necessarily filter through there. I was lucky the noise insulation material (a sort-of yellowish foam applied internally over the body panels) had in that area a crease that forced the water towards the trunk. But you might be getting damp on the inner side of the panels without ever noticing (until the rot sets in visibly).

In my case everything looked fine. For precaution, on some exposed metal areas used Dynax S50.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Wow good find!!!

Looks like I will checking mine out tonight when I get home!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Very nice! I've been troubled with this one as well, actually shorted an amp I had in there at one point, and I saw some more water in there the other day after some hard rain.

Any tips on removing the trunk trim? I'm taking most of it out myself to finish removing the rear deck.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very nice! I've been troubled with this one as well, actually shorted an amp I had in there at one point, and I saw some more water in there the other day after some hard rain.

Any tips on removing the trunk trim? I'm taking most of it out myself to finish removing the rear deck.
It's super-easy. First take off the liner that covers the trunk back panel (careful with the trunk rubber seal... you might find some of the plastic button fasteners are a piss to remove). Then you need to partially remove the left-hand side (opposite to battery) liner, which is fastened with Velcro.

If it becomes a bitch to take away, you might need to partially remove the trunk floor lining, but I will avoid it.

Go to the Eurospares website, look at the trunk diagrams and it will be self-evident.

Now, if you want to remove the cabin rear deck (is that what you mean..?) you cannot accessit from behind; you need to remove the back seats (loosening the 4 screws behind the armrest cover).

HTH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts