Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new daily driver. Currently have an M5 and am looking forward to seeing it depart. Two options that I am actively considering are a Porsche 911 (993) Turbo and the Maserati 3200. I have a fair amount of experience with turbo cars so the lag and boost are not a major concern. What I am most interested in is the driving experience and reliablilty. Most of my driving is highway but it would also need to be able to handle the occasional major traffic jam. Can the 3200 be used as a daily driver ? What should I look for when buying ? What are the running and maintenance costs ?

Much appreciate the insights. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
I would be interested to know as well, we don't have the 3200 in the U.S. but I have wondered if the 3200 is anywhere as reliable as the 4200.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Seems that quite a few members use the 4200 and later Coupes as daily drivers but have not seen any specific information on the 3200. In other research it seems that the 2001 and later cars have a significant amount of upgrades that make them better drivers cars. Earlier ones should have had the work done FOC but hard to check if the owner took the time to get them done. It also seems that a small number of special edition 3200 Assetto Corsa models were made in late 2001 and 2002. These are a bit more hard core than the standard models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
All The Info On A 3200

early 3200's had problems with head gaskets. Later 3200's had a metal head gasket. Check water/coolant levels. The throttle responses are phenommenal. Check all Campaigns and Recalls have been carried out. Get low mileage ones only. It is driven by a timing belt so check that this has been carried out by dealer. The cam chains at the rear need to be done at 65K miles I think which is expensive.
I like the styling of the 3200 but went for 4200 for reliability (cam chain and the paddleshift cc). If possible get the Asseto Corsa. There is one on the bay in UK but dont touch it-its rubbish!

Get one with all three keys especially the red key which is extremely important. A new red key also requires a new ECU, programming and key cutting which totals to £5000 (five thousand) pounds or so.

DO NOT GET A CRAP COLOUR. GET BLACK/INDIAPPOLIS RED/MASERATI BLUE (SEBRING?-IN THAT ORDER.
BETTER STILL GET A 4200 BY SPENDING A BIT MORE CASH IF YOU CAN.

GOOD LUCK AND LET US KNOW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
007 said:
early 3200's had problems with head gaskets. Later 3200's had a metal head gasket. Check water/coolant levels. The throttle responses are phenommenal. Check all Campaigns and Recalls have been carried out. Get low mileage ones only. It is driven by a timing belt so check that this has been carried out by dealer. The cam chains at the rear need to be done at 65K miles I think which is expensive.
I like the styling of the 3200 but went for 4200 for reliability (cam chain and the paddleshift cc). If possible get the Asseto Corsa. There is one on the bay in UK but dont touch it-its rubbish!

Get one with all three keys especially the red key which is extremely important. A new red key also requires a new ECU, programming and key cutting which totals to £5000 (five thousand) pounds or so.

DO NOT GET A CRAP COLOUR. GET BLACK/INDIAPPOLIS RED/MASERATI BLUE (SEBRING?-IN THAT ORDER.
BETTER STILL GET A 4200 BY SPENDING A BIT MORE CASH IF YOU CAN.

GOOD LUCK AND LET US KNOW.
Sounds like a higher maintenance car compared to the 4200, my only reasoning behind wanting a 3200 would be that it would be MUCH easier to modify due to it already being turbocharged, just turn the boost up and make sure everything can handle the increased power!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard that the 4200 is a better all around car but the 3200 appeals a bit more due to the turbos and throttle response. I prefer cars with a bit of an edge and the 3200 has that slightly wild streak that should make it a bit more involving as a daily driver. As personal reference, I found the 911 (993) boring after a few months. The 911 is an outstanding car but too clinical for my tastes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
901 Posts
While the site is brand spaking new (10 minutes as of this posting) you could also see what Porsche owners think at www.carreralife.com (when they start to show up that is).

Personally I would get the Maserati, then you can have an all Italian garage.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andrew said:
While the site is brand spaking new (10 minutes as of this posting) you could also see what Porsche owners think at www.carreralife.com (when they start to show up that is).

Personally I would get the Maserati, then you can have an all Italian garage.
Per below, not sure the Porsche owners will appreciate my evaluation of the 911-993.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have seriously started the search for the 3200. Not easy. There do not appear to be many on the market in Europe and only one Asseto Corsa anywhere.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update, still looking for a good 3200. It is turning out to be a much harder task than originally thought. Any idea how many LHD Manuals were built ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boxer said:
Quick update, still looking for a good 3200. It is turning out to be a much harder task than originally thought. Any idea how many LHD Manuals were built ?
I have taken a look at a couple of 3200s and talked to a number of mechanics. All the mechanics recommend spending a bit more and going with the 4200. Universal feeling seems to be that the 3200 is fine mechanically but the electronics are a constant headache. Not the right recipe for daily use.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top