Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a 2003 spyder, and when I bought it I had the dealer agree to replacing the console with the 2004 version with the cupholder. It turned out to be a big hassle, and they wished they never agreed to do it. Not to turn you off. It is possible, but, apparently not easy
Good luck.
Mike

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cup Holder replacement

Hi,
I purchased a new 2005 console center section for my 02 Coupe back in 05. Installed it myself. It wasn't very hard. The only hard part is that Maserati (thoughtfully) installed some of the screws holding the center section so that you have to pull out the center console to replace them. (When they are installed in the car the head of the screw points down). Rather than go thru the problem of removing the entire console (a big job), I bought a small (2-3 inch long) right angle ratchet screwdriver from Pep Boys that allowed me to reach thru the holes where the ash tray and the mirror adjuster were and reach the screws. (using the close quarters right angle screw driver allows you to insert the screwdriver under a screw facing down that only has 1 inch of separation between the screw and the undercarriage of the car). It was a bit difficult getting the screws in and out since I was only able to get 5 or 10 degrees of turn on the ratchet each time due to close quarters. Took maybe 3 or 4 minutes to remove each screw. But, since I didn't have to remove and replace the entire console it turned out to be much much easier in the long run.

Reinstalling the new console center section I had a little trouble since the screw holes weren't all in the same place. However, I was able to make a new attachment point by pulling up the little rubber mat at the bottom of the tiny cigarette ash tray on the new replacement console. Then I drilled a hole thru the bottom of the ash tray so I could install a screw (turns out the attachment point for the new console is directly below the ash tray.). Once I reinstalled the rubber mat in the ash tray it was impossible to detect the modification.

The whole job took me about an hour & you would never know the car didn't come from the factory that way.

·
Registered
246 Posts
No disrespect to Rocketman, but you get the point. Right angle screwdrivers, misaligned screw holes, ..... Not to mention the fact that wiring harnesses aren"t quite long enough....
It is possible, but not for the faint of heart.
If you are an accomplished hobbiest, or whatever, you can make it work.
Mike

Hi,
I purchased a new 2005 console center section for my 02 Coupe back in 05. Installed it myself. It wasn't very hard. The only hard part is that Maserati (thoughtfully) installed some of the screws holding the center section so that you have to pull out the center console to replace them. (When they are installed in the car the head of the screw points down). Rather than go thru the problem of removing the entire console (a big job), I bought a small (2-3 inch long) right angle ratchet screwdriver from Pep Boys that allowed me to reach thru the holes where the ash tray and the mirror adjuster were and reach the screws. (using the close quarters right angle screw driver allows you to insert the screwdriver under a screw facing down that only has 1 inch of separation between the screw and the undercarriage of the car). It was a bit difficult getting the screws in and out since I was only able to get 5 or 10 degrees of turn on the ratchet each time due to close quarters. Took maybe 3 or 4 minutes to remove each screw. But, since I didn't have to remove and replace the entire console it turned out to be much much easier in the long run.

Reinstalling the new console center section I had a little trouble since the screw holes weren't all in the same place. However, I was able to make a new attachment point by pulling up the little rubber mat at the bottom of the tiny cigarette ash tray on the new replacement console. Then I drilled a hole thru the bottom of the ash tray so I could install a screw (turns out the attachment point for the new console is directly below the ash tray.). Once I reinstalled the rubber mat in the ash tray it was impossible to detect the modification.

The whole job took me about an hour & you would never know the car didn't come from the factory that way.

·
Registered
214 Posts
How the He** did you get the front screw out of the existing console? the back two came out easy with an allen key through the large opening from the ashtray, but the front one is being very stubborn with the smaller hole for he mirror control module to reach through....

·
Registered
229 Posts
I know it's really tacky but I use a dual cup holder that I bought at an auto store that goes between the passenger seat and the console. No screws and no hassle it's just ugly but necessary.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
As my friend Lorenzo from Maranello says, if it has a cup holder, it's an american car...

·
Registered
581 Posts
This car keeps me way too busy to worry about cup holders. I thought I had to have one, but as it turns out I am way too engaged driving that if I want to have a drink (non-alcohol of course) I stop and take a break - my Golden Retriever and wife really appreciate that too!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I bought a cup holder years ago.....I'm married to her. NO CUPS in my car allowed! :D

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
jesus... a cup holder in a Maserati?....

if i was the company itself, i'd ban then entirely...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts