Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hadn't driven my car for two days. Go for a drive, about 15 minutes into it, the radio just cuts out while playing a cd. Then it reboots and is stuck on, nothing on the console works. Then it shuts off again and goes back on. I finally turn the radio off and take the cd out, and it comes back on again like its possessed??? The screen was actually very warm to the touch??

Today drove into work, perfect no problems whatsoever. This radio bug has happened say 5 or so times a year?

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is there any way to troubleshoot or fix this problem??

Thanks. CM

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had almost the same problem. The solution was for the dealer to replace the radio.

Hadn't driven my car for two days. Go for a drive, about 15 minutes into it, the radio just cuts out while playing a cd. Then it reboots and is stuck on, nothing on the console works. Then it shuts off again and goes back on. I finally turn the radio off and take the cd out, and it comes back on again like its possessed??? The screen was actually very warm to the touch??

Today drove into work, perfect no problems whatsoever. This radio bug has happened say 5 or so times a year?

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is there any way to troubleshoot or fix this problem??

Thanks. CM

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can not imagine what a new radio console would cost....

Well that does not sound very good at all.... My warranty just expired in May 08. I can not imagine what it would cost...

I was hoping to fix or replace a fuze or something like that...

Thanks.. CM

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm pissed.

I have the same problem.

I hate this problem, because what are you going to do? Say my radio doesn't work?

And then they turn it on and it works fine and they think you're crazy.

I rather have it totally not work and then you could figure out what's wrong with it.

And I feel like a chump a$$ because you're driving around in a $100,000 car and the radio just goes out on you and reboots. It's embarrassing if you're driving with someone.

DOES ANYONE HERE KNOW IF THEY MAKE AN AFTERMARKET RADIO - or how much a replacement one would cost?

Gene

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
You might be able to get an NIT unit out of a salvage vehicle...while mine still does this occasionally (mostly losing its mind as to what is in the CD changer), I've just learned to cope with it. The radio itself works fine, as does the in-armrest CD, and the CD changer works fine 80% of the time. I also use an iPod FM transmitter (believe it or not, it actually sounds decent) now and then.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So there are many people with " crazy radios "...

Glad to hear its just not me losing my mind... Radio has been prefect for the past few days...

Gotta love a Maserati...

Should have mentioned it when it was covered...

Oh well... I guess its just something we have to live with.. CM

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '04 coupe is doing the same thing. It just started a couple days ago. I thought maybe it was due to heat, as I'm working in so. cal. right now, but today it was cooler and it still did it. On and off, on and off, on and off.....pisses me off completely! Would love to hear any more ideas from anyone also, because I'm sure that head unit is astronomically expensive.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crazy radio has been normal for many months....

Thats why we loves these cars.... Their unique quirks... Radio has been working perfectly for many many months... Not so much as a hiccup...

Perhaps it healed itself. Who knows..

Give it some time, maybe your radio will revert back to normal.

Good luck.

CM

·
Registered
241 Posts
One possible solution

If you have a spyder or coupe, please check out my thread http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6445
I expect to have my install complete by 6/20 and if there are no more stumbling blocks, to have this solution available to others soon after. If you're going to be at Pocono next weekend, hit me up on my cell at 914 523-1596 and come by and see the install.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks Sprocket,

Basically, me, you and other s here... just want something we can get as an alternative to that radio.

Thanks for sharing the other thread. I'll monitor that thread.

Gene

·
Registered
11 Posts
not that easy.... You will need to have the other parts also, and someone with the experience to perform the install... I recommend not buying the equiptment without first figuring out who is going to perform the install as most high end shops only install what they sell. Where are you located? I might be able to help you find the right shop near you to take care of your car audio needs.

Scott

·
Registered
241 Posts
not that easy.... You will need to have the other parts also, and someone with the experience to perform the install... I recommend not buying the equiptment without first figuring out who is going to perform the install as most high end shops only install what they sell. Where are you located? I might be able to help you find the right shop near you to take care of your car audio needs.

Scott
I quite agree. We will only be selling the custom surround/touchscreen unit. We expect, based on complexity, that this will need to go to a custom installer to do the work. You will be taking a lot of the interior out of the car to run wiring, etc even without changing speakers. Follow my other thread in a week.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My thing is... I want to buy something - and tell a guy "Hey... step one - step two."

And I won't know WTF is step one - step two.

But someone that knows radios will be like - "Oh... ok..."

And then they stick it in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
what size screen are you making the bezel for?

Scott/lajollaaudio
We've made the bezel for the 7" touchscreen. This is, in my opinion, a far better option than the 4". The install is just about done and we expect to have pictures and detailed info after the weekend. So far, it appears that the team has solved all of the issues but I'm waiting until it's truly finished to make that claim.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts